Author Topic: Accents  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
Accents
« on: November 24, 2007, 02:31:18 pm »
Time for an epic discussion on accents.

Now me, being Canadian, am often stereotyped for my "accent".  I really hate it when Amercians with no clue about anything go and start talking trash about us because we have "funny accents".  People all over the WORLD have different accents.  People in the southern states talk one way, someone from The east coast talks another.  Someone in Ireland talks in a different dialect than someone from the Caribbean.

I find it a tad annoying that someone can say that we have funny accents.  We can say the exact same about you.

Probably because Americans think that "If it isn't similar to what I have then it's wrong" attitude about them.  Anyways...

Gah, not turning this into a Yankee-bash thread.
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
Re: Accents
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 02:39:15 pm »
I've always thought that Americans and Canadians sound fairly similar. Maybe it's the British in me. :/

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:51:50 pm »
well you know, some say potato some say potato....

That works better when speaking.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 03:09:57 pm »
Whats this all aboot now?
Im sure almost every country has such different dialects within, that they make somewhat fun of eachother.

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 04:23:09 pm »
Gah, not turning this into a Yankee-bash thread.

Too late; that was kinda failed once you started it, given Psycho's point about everyone else doing it. Those stupid canadians, always stereotyping people.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Iron Man

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 06:48:26 pm »
same problem with the rest of the world, eh? its just diffrent you know, eh? so just deal with it mate, its not goin away any time soon bruddah.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 06:59:58 pm »
Time for an epic discussion on accents.

Now me, being Canadian, am often stereotyped for my "accent".  I really hate it when Amercians with no clue about anything go and start talking trash about us because we have "funny accents".

If you say "aboot" when everyone else says "about," people are going to tease you about it.  It's like wearing a pink suit to work.  Sure, TECHNICALLY it's a suit, but it's still out of place.

And I have nothing against Canadians, either.  If I went up there and failed at speaking French, I wouldn't care if you teased me for my "Yankee accent."  I'd be out of place, and you'd have a right to laugh.  Anyone who has a problem with that sort of thing (the teasing, that is) is way too sensitive.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 07:03:52 pm »
If you say "aboot" when everyone else says "about," people are going to tease you about it.  It's like wearing a pink suit to work.  Sure, TECHNICALLY it's a suit, but it's still out of place.

And I have nothing against Canadians, either.  If I went up there and failed at speaking French, I wouldn't care if you teased me for my "Yankee accent."  I'd be out of place, and you'd have a right to laugh.  Anyone who has a problem with that sort of thing (the teasing, that is) is way too sensitive.
Well, I seriously do not understand where the "aboot" things comes from. Perhaps it's only provincial? No one up here says it, to be honest.

Secondly, only Quebec is the province that speaks primarily French... otherwise, English is still the first language spoken here.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 07:23:10 pm »
For some reason I love foreign accents. Still my heart does hold a special place for southern accents. Some folks say I have a bit of a southern accent. I do have to say though some Canadians do have strange accents... because it sounds American until they say a few certain words ex: "aboot"

P.S. Thumbs up to any pretty lady with a foreign accent. Just adds to the appeal.
@ii

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 07:52:16 pm »
Every1 loves the aussie accent xD
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 08:27:07 pm »
I don't have an accent. Unless you are British and you think I have the accent.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline RabidTreeFrog

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 10:31:39 pm »
Bah, I get teased everywhere for my NYC accent...

even upstate. >_>
not around

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 12:56:26 am »
Bah, I get teased everywhere for my NYC accent...

even upstate. >_>

I do to! But I live in california. ;-;

Offline KorrupT MerC

• Camper
  • Stoled it!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 02:32:46 am »
For some reason I love foreign accents. Still my heart does hold a special place for southern accents. Some folks say I have a bit of a southern accent. I do have to say though some Canadians do have strange accents... because it sounds American until they say a few certain words ex: "aboot"

P.S. Thumbs up to any pretty lady with a foreign accent. Just adds to the appeal.

Everything said here applies for me. ^^

With emphasis on the beautiful lady with a foreign accent... i mean almost any accent will drive me out of my mind. For instance, i never thought an african accent would be appealing, but if you listen to them when they are speaking english, its sexy.

In-Game --iH- {K}orrupT
CTF_Boscage | CTF_Ridge | CTF_Polar | CTF_Dusty

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 07:59:35 am »
Not many people in Norfolk actualy have a Norfolk accent. Now it's really only the older generations that have it. But that's sort of a good thing, as people might think I'm a farmer if I did have the accent.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 08:16:17 am »
Every1 loves the aussie accent xD

Yeah, girls with australian (or south african because it sounds similar) accents are hot!
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 02:38:30 pm »
I love accents. Not only foreign ones, but even the various, distinct dialects within the United States are intriguing. I can listen to somebody with an accent talk for hours. I'm not sure exactly why they appeal to me so much, but it's been that way since I was young. Maybe it's because I've never really been outside of the confines of Pennsylvania, so anything different or foreign-sounding seems pretty culturally stimulating for me.

As mentioned, Australian accents are pretty cool, but nothing beats an English accent for me!

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 02:47:14 pm »
Russian accents and Irish accents win.

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 02:49:24 pm »
Boston. For the most part, the accent isn't too strong - but there are some people who just hold their vowels for too long. It was especially hard for my parents who were both immigrants. They still tell stories about how whenever they tried to start small talk in Boston, two different conversations occurred.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 03:06:11 pm »