Author Topic: ctf_Roland (Voland-ReMake)  (Read 3566 times)

DarkCrusade

ctf_Roland (Voland-ReMake)
« on: July 03, 2009, 08:36:09 pm »

In the middle will be a big stone bridge (normap polygons) to avoid the flagdrop (I don´t like it in CW), the polygon on the toproute will be statues (probably knights) that will be polyarted. I opened the middle and made mooving smoother (I hope so ;D ). I am not quit sure about the theme, but there will be a cave with ropes, the rest will be a jungle at night probably, lets see what I will do if I finished the basic layout. Suggestions?

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Re: ctf_Roland (Voland-ReMake)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:09:24 pm »
Such a boring layout. No openings at all in the tunnels. May be smooth, but damn, so boring.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:19:00 pm »
Well, I will work on the high route and such, but what do you think is most important?

EDIT:

I gave it a more rough look, it is still smooth and fast, but with less spraying. Also I show my spawnsetting :)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:15:18 pm by DarkCrusade »

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:38:53 pm »
It's looking good. Probably too rough now. In between the original and the second version would be better.

Hopefully the top is deadly. And the middle gap being inline (high, mid, low) was one of my fav parts in vol. For a complete drop from high to low, or an easy boost to end up mid.

That's if Voland is the one I'm thinking of. I can never match the maps with the names.

And I dunno if so many curves will work with that layout. But it wouldn't be a remake if you don't change a decent amount of it.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:16:41 am »
I went on with my map and made the statue that I mentioned in an other post. The statue needs 283 polygons, what will enlarge my polycount but that doesn´t matter in my opinion :)

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 03:12:01 am »
Awesome =D

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 05:28:57 am »
Little layoutchanges and scenerysetting done, what do you think? I included the archive in this post so you can look over it.

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 07:10:28 am »
You totally like to change the maps, and how many remakes are you still gonna do? You should just finish your earlier projects properly first.
Well, this does look the best so far. That enormous dark, pee-colored sun.. make it white not yellow... and smaller.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:51:27 am »
You totally like to change the maps, and how many remakes are you still gonna do? You should just finish your earlier projects properly first.
Well, this does look the best so far. That enormous dark, pee-colored sun.. make it white not yellow... and smaller.

I already tested the different colors. A white color is much too bright and the size is okay in my opinion. I have a ctf_Snakebite project going, too, and I have 3 weeks free time, so I will probably do more ;D

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 08:49:17 am »
The only fine idea is the big opening in the middle. Remove the sun, it's useless. And lower the opacity of the camonets. Also, make the routes a bit wider, there will be no fighting area, just people rushing on each other. Plus, remove the swords the will be unreachable, and make the statue have a /victory pose or whatnot.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 09:09:28 am »
The statues are set there to avoid offmapping, so why should I remove the swords? A victory position would be nice, though :) I will see what I can do about the camonets and the sun. Also I will think about the layout again.

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 09:16:00 am »
I think it's good, other then the massive gap in the middle.

How does everyone make the sky so good. I can never blend the right colors in to map a natural color.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 09:29:09 am »
Basically it are clouds (amb) with an opacity of 30, the background color and a fx-antispot that make it look so cool :) The gap in the middle makes gameplay more intense and faster, I will keep it the way and make middle and top route bigger.

To Niko: Okay I know now what you wanted with remove the swords, I guess I will really remove them and give the statues a new pose.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 03:13:52 pm »
To Niko: Okay I know now what you wanted with remove the swords, I guess I will really remove them and give the statues a new pose.
Finally you did. Though all you should do is to make the arm straight and remove the other sword. I'd remove the amb-clouds since they're no FPS friendly, and some of the fades. Make the statue wider, because it looks like a girl with a skirt, which is not really aggressive.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 11:21:32 pm »
didn't you overused some scenerys? (camonet)
by the OV seems like you used 10- types of scenerys :p

nice map
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

DarkCrusade

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 11:31:07 pm »
With deleted sun and spot it are 12 different scenery objects, so 14 on the screen ;D Hell, yes, I overuse the scenery and force them to fit my thoughts.

Finally you did. Though all you should do is to make the arm straight and remove the other sword. I'd remove the amb-clouds since they're no FPS friendly, and some of the fades. Make the statue wider, because it looks like a girl with a skirt, which is not really aggressive.

Okay, I go with your suggestions for the statue and probably remove some fadings, but I won´t remove the clouds, they have to stay :)

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 12:56:44 am »
In my opinion, it looks like you went in favor of making the map pretty rather than playable.

The statures are useless, and only add more places for people to camp and take away from the focus of game play.  If they're not made deadly, it'll be an issue.

The middle route is too constricted, the roof too awkward and bumpy, and basically useless as it flushes out into the lower route anyway.

Top is also constricted. 

Bases are small, exits are small.

No offense, but I'll take the original.

Edit: Also, the liana sceneries hanging everywhere don't look that great.  Less stretching of sceneries and more focus on actually working with them would pay off.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 12:59:46 am by The Geologist »
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 12:59:26 am »
I work on it :P Thanks for critique

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 02:28:54 am »
lol it doesn't look so much like voland but I can see why its kinda similar
cool

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 05:17:35 am »
Agreed with Niko about the sun and camonets. Just kill the damn sun...

I also like the center part of map.