Author Topic: Final ctf_Apophis  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Keiran

• Major(1)
Final ctf_Apophis
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:33:22 pm »
Well here is what I have and how I will leave the map (or so I think). Changed a few things around and took some things out due to suggestions. Hopefully there aren't any polys sticking out. If there are, I will fix it and upload the one I fix. Hopefully you like it. Bye bye. Be nice, my fist map  :-[ :-\

Overview:

Alpha Base:

Bravo Base:

Download: ...

*Edit* I didn't know about the scenery and stuff, hehe. Here is the files for the scenery. *Edit*

V V V V V V V V
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:10:44 pm by Keiran »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Final ctf_Apophis
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:57:29 pm »
First off, that is REALLY nice for a first map.

hmm, visuals are pretty nice, the layout is good. Like the shading alot.

Only thing I don't really like is how bright those two light sceneries in the lower route are. Give 'em less opacity.

I give this a 9.5/10
There are other worlds than these

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 05:52:26 pm »
You've got alot of potential to become a fine mapper.

Before I begin my review - I must tell you about some missing components.  You only posted the map file (the .PMS) and nothing else.  Most of the scenery files that you have used are custom-made.  You cannot expect everyone to have all of those files.  I, myself, do not have some of those scenery.  Therefore, it is necessary that you include them with this map.

Gameplay - I believe the gameplay on this map is good for a first map.  The layout is pretty simple, but that's how beginner mappers should start out.  Spray might occur, but that's easily avoidable because of the slanty terrain, so nice going with that.  Camping can become a bit of an issue.  The crates/sandbags and the mist from the waterfall provides total cover for the soldat.  I don't think it'll be a huge problem as long as players do not camp all game long.  The only things I dislike is the spawn placement and the path to the lower route.  Medis and nades spawn at the exact same locations, and personally, I believe it is much better if you spread the spawns out a bit so that there is some distance between the medis and the nades.  Now about the lower route.  If a player (called M) were to take the lower route, he would have to contemplate the possibilities of opposing players meeting him, and therefore get into a fight with those opposing players.  Since the opposing players can spawn either above the passage to the lower route or in the lower route itself, M can have difficulties grabbing the flag using that middle route.  The low jet fuel also contributes to the difficulty.  So I suggest that you replace the current passage with a new one, preferably a passage that is near the flag and is easy to reach with jets, as well as removing the player spawns in the bottom route.  -7.5/10-

Graphics - Since I am missing some scenery (but not the texture), I will base my opinion of the graphics of this map on both the map file and the images.  The texture choice is very nice, but the manipulation is not really good.  Some polygons are overstretched and disrupt the “flow” of the texture in some parts.  Vegetation choice is simple but good, and I like your use of "icicle.bmp."  However, there is a lack of opacity on some plants (particularly those placed in the “back” position).  For example, the tree on the upper route that is set to “back” has full opacity.  Players might not know it is set in “back” because of its 100% opacity.  If the tree’s opacity is set to something less than 100 (like 70), that would clearly indicate that it is in the background.  The mist in the waterfall also needs its opacity to be lowered, imo.  I also don’t like how the water suddenly becomes black at the bottom.  A darker shade of blue would be more suitable. 

Another thing that bothers me is the border.  The border is thin, esp. in the bottom corners.  I think thickening them would help with the appeal of the map. 

The background for the lower route looks all distorted.  Just use one stretched image and you'll be fine.  -7.2/10-

It’s a good job for a first map.  Keep mapping, learn more about layout design and such, and avoid things like overstretching the texture.  I believe you’ll become a great mapper in the future.

I forgot to mention that the lights you are using are out-of-date.  Use these lights instead.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:15:00 pm by Eagles_Arrows »

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Mr. America

• Soldier
  • Watch out for the blablabla!
    • My arcor homepage. There are just my maps.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 06:51:41 pm »
Hmmm pretty good for a first map. You have potential! Simply layout (I like simple things) but shitty look ( sry but the polys are crap).
On your next map you should take a simple layout again, but you should make it nicer . (you know what I mean, make the look better)

Offline Keiran

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:13:15 pm »
Thank you for the comments and stuff, I might edit the map (not sure). I put the scenery in the download section so now you can have the files. If that's not how you do it, please show me how.

Offline Mr. America

• Soldier
  • Watch out for the blablabla!
    • My arcor homepage. There are just my maps.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 06:08:31 am »
Make a folder call it "Maps" or "maps". Make a second folder if you used customscenery and call it "Scenery-gfx" or "scenery-gfx". If you used a custom texture make a third folder and call it "Textures" or "textures". Choose all folder at the same time. Then make a right-click and press "add to an archive...". Then archive them to zip or rar. ( I have the german version, so it's possible that the two last steps are wrong )

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 07:59:36 am »
looks good i would give it 9.75/10
Text goes here...

Offline Keiran

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 07:19:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for comments and thanks Mr. A for showing me how to do that scenery thing.