Author Topic: DM_Failure  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Konf1ikt

• Major(1)
DM_Failure
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:13:48 am »
This is my first map, done in Polyworks. It didn't take that long to make, but for whatever reason, I was happy with the result. This isn't supposed to be an amazing map, but it's mainly here for tips and criticism. I've been playing Soldat for a long time now, but this is really my first delve into the forums, community, and map-making. Rock on. \m/, 

view looking up from the bottom:

The whole thing as seen from Polyworks (the hill on the right is a duplicate of the one on the left:

I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Re: DM_Failure
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:26:40 am »
I lurve the big block of colliders in the bunker. One tip for clouds. You can stretched them on the x-axis to add a bit of variety to the whole bunch of them. Also, you ought to make the clouds solid, so that you could stand on them. Wouldn't that be pretty awesome?

As stated, this is your first map sort of introducing you to the community, so I won't attempt any crazy criticism on this. Just for kicks, you ought to an island sort of thing in the middle of this arena to add a bit more strategy into the mix. At the moment, it's basically a "fall into the pit and die" map right now, although that is sometimes fun...

Good luck, as always.

Ah, also change the background colors to something other than default. In other maps you make, people will appreciate it. If you need any awesome foliage scenery, look here. You can't find much better than that.

Edit:

Oh yea by the way, nice title. I'm sure it'll attract mass crowds. Woodstock all over again.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 12:33:27 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:12:05 am »
That is wierd, it actually looks quite nice XD.

Only gameplay would be horrible, and that is the main part of a map. You need more places to go. Everyone would end up in the pit and it would be survive for 3 seconds = good.

I think you might get really good at shading maps though, as the green bits look really nice.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Konf1ikt

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:22:16 pm »
I'm working on fixing some of that now. I've already made the clouds solid, and added a bit more scenery. As far as places to go, what I've already made probably fails in that regard.  :| Well, I suppose I could try to make a bridge or something...Any ideas?

I'll post another screenshot when there's a major change.

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:44:57 pm »
Maybe add some bunkers into the side walls.
It would give it a bit more of an appealing look in the overview and give people places to go instead of into a giant pit of blood.
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:16:10 am »
Maybe add some bunkers into the side walls.
It would give it a bit more of an appealing look in the overview and give people places to go instead of into a giant pit of blood.

Seconded.

Offline Konf1ikt

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:25:55 am »
Well. I didn't do the bunker thing. Maybe I will eventually, but I'm starting to feel depressed about the whole thing and am considering scrapping the map. I realized that PW is really easy to throw together a map, but insanely hard to make a good one. So, here's a last look before the map dies, unless one of you or maybe myself, inspires me.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:30:20 am »
A nice improvement from the chaotic insanities of the original version. I suppose this map will go the way of the inspirationless mapper. It's fine. You aren't dropping a huge project, and I'm sure you know that. Come up with some new ideas... and map away. I am looking forward to the next map you make, whenever that may be.

This map was a learning experience more than anything. It doesn't have to be anything more, since first maps usually always turn out this way.

Offline Konf1ikt

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:33:44 am »
Well, I assure you I will be playing this map for months to come, because I love the chaotic, crappy gameplay. My first map will always hold a special place in my heart.

lol.