Author Topic: TW Rime  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
Re: TW Rime
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 01:23:40 pm »
I'm totally waiting for EnEsCe to put this up the TW server....

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 02:00:44 pm »
me 2
Text goes here...

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 03:30:14 pm »
- i've played it on some other tw server, however i also wish it to appear on EnEsCe TW serv (cause it's the most popular one...)
- i never heard about any kind of lemmings game...
=> Blacksheepboy
In case of big maps having some sketchs and concept photos helps to remember what you are trying to create and to keep style and atmosphere of the map solid.  So i definately recomend to have some.
Well there is a lot of various aspects of creating a good tw map, but i'm kinda lazy  ::) so i'll list only most important:
- before creating tw map you need to create positions scheme (it better be new)
- tw map must be mostly flat, with minor elevation difference, but also must have some  elevation jumps/cliffs/walls on borders, very wavy or ulta flat landscape screws gameplay.
- running from base to frontline shouldn't take more then 25~35 s
- respawn points should be protected
- proper trenches/fire positions - their disign should allow players to fire while they are getting protection
- avoid adding many sceneries and doesn't collide polygons infront of player, however there should be some ways to sneak to enemy base
- avoid adding obstacles made of normal polygons (like boxes and such...)
- spray area of statguns must be limited
- no jet, no medkits
- all anti-lag measures, *save* polygon structure
- some birbwire makes players run faster  ;D it'is important tactical element, so it should be balanced
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 04:17:58 pm by VirtualTT »

Offline Umkthx

• Major(1)
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2007, 07:49:36 am »
ok, lemme just say somthing: buitiful map

now lemme tell you whats goin down... (what needs to be improved on this)

-it should be set at least at dawn, or dusk, becuase this map is WAY too bright
-barbwire is a little much...actually it totally wierd how much you put on, you destroyed many stratigic options that this map had. at Least get rid of the barbwire on the 2 bunkers leading up to the stat gun...just to much

i hope you take into account what i said
-darker background
-less barbwire (on the 2 bunkers AT LEAST)

Offline Zephyen

• Major(1)
  • Living is Death while breathing...
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 11:06:47 am »
Umkthx, the barbed wire on the bunkers are clearly to keep people from laying down ontop of them and sniping from such a good vantage point. There are the bunkers to do such a thing, but you're clearly visible there to even it out.
You really understand this when you play against some bots, they like to stop on there and fire down on you. Which has them dieing quite quickly.

There's many places that can easily be fortified along the trenches, and no other place is really needed. The barbed wire, I think, is placed throughout this level to stop people stopping, laying down with the barette and simply picking people off constantly.

Offline Umkthx

• Major(1)
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 01:34:47 pm »
do you even play online? i am one of the top TW players, and this is a constant complaint for VirTT's maps, way to much barbwire all the time, and it doesnt hinder sniping...are you joking? it helps it... people have to jump around all the time, poking their head out for 2 secounds and getting it shot off....

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 05:21:23 pm »
Yeah, a bit too much hurting ground, actually. Plus, the background is really too bright.

Yay, EnEsCe has it up!

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 07:18:58 pm »
1. about brightness: I'm using several display tests to adjust my monitor parameters to obtain highest possible realistic color rendering. So my maps are NOT TOO BRIGHT OR TOO DARK. They look exactly as i want them to. From personal experience i can say that usually people set contrast and brightness of their monitors to maximum and then run around shouting *Oh! It hurts my eyes...*. Anyway if you want you can make bg darker by simply editing map in PW (there will be no *wrong map version detected* errors while playing online, just don't move anything...).
-=download tw Rime with darker bg=- (pms only)
2. about barbwire: It's not a constant complaint for my maps... I guess i overdid it a bit on tw_nomans, but i think on this map barbwire is balanced. Well it usually hurts you when you are jumping on the bunker. But that is just another consequence of that *bottleneck* in the middle of the map.
3. maybe update?
- removing bottleneck by adding tonnel under the hill in the middle
- rising middle hill a bit

Offline Umkthx

• Major(1)
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 04:51:22 pm »
AHH yes, those updates sound good. and the darker BG also sounds very good. thhhxxx!

Offline ghg

• Camper
  • Village Idiot
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 04:07:34 pm »
I'm not really fussed about the background but it DOES make text unreadable.
-=Gradius wuz you=-