Author Topic: SoldatPage Forums  (Read 1760 times)

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
SoldatPage Forums
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:26:10 am »
Hi,

Due to some suggestions, I created a Forum for SoldatPage.
I chose SMF, just as SoldatForums, because they are pretty secure and very easy to mod. However, I was planning on writing a forum myself. I'm going to do that due to the lack of time, it'd take me another month or two to write a proper built-in forum for SoldatPage, which won't be as featureful and secure as SMF is.
In short, you have to register at the forums if you want to post - even if you already have a SoldatPage account. Sorry for that.

List of subforums:
Announcements (Basic announcements concerning Soldat, SoldatPage, ...)
Soldat Related    
   Soldat Discussions (Similar to General Discussion)
   Fan Items (All fan its, ergintoone subforum)
   Developer's Discussion (Also for fan item development)
   Help
SoldatPage    
   Clans  (The clantalk)
   Webring (All discussions involving the webring)
   Bugs, Help and Problems (Any feedback related to SoldatPage and the forums)
Unrelated    
   Small Talk (Similar to The Lounge)
   Bash Pit (Old SoldatForummers will start to shiver, it's pretty experimental)
   Archive
   Applaud (Make someone feel better, give him or her a nice comment!)

[/b][/size]

I certainly hope the forums will contain some nifty and interesting discussions. I'm also very open for any feedback regarding these forums, "customer is king!"

Grtz, DePhille
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • mĂ©nage-Ă -trois
    • my last.fm
Re: SoldatPage Forums
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 12:55:45 pm »
Allready a member on SoldatPage, but I'll be sure to register on the forums for a lil' support ;)
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 01:54:52 pm »
Thanks echo_trail!
I hope it'll get interesting in there. I'd already be happy if the forums are used.

Grtz, DePhille

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 03:07:57 pm »
I'll register right now.
For  the mod I am currently developing, I was thinking it would be good if I'd host it at soldatpage because the people who would play the mod would see the soldat page and the people who visit soldatpage would see the mod and maybe try it

EDIT: Have you considered appointing some moderators??
Of course they wouold only be needed if the place gets up on it's feet, which I hope it will

Date Posted: May 30, 2007, 03:02:08 PM
come on people, join up!

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:43:51 pm »
I'm registered now. I would love to donate to SoldatPage but I'm not allowed to use Paypal anymore. ... And DePhille lives in Belgium so it would be hard for me to mail him money.

But I still want to show my support.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 03:54:22 pm »
then you can click on the google ads on the lower left of the page ;)
thats what I do when I have some spare time...

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 04:07:09 pm »
Well thanks alot for all that support. :)
I'm going to do my best to keep those forums interesting and attract people to it.
PayPal is the only method I can recieve money easily. I could give you my IBAN number, but I don't know exactly if my current bank account supports that. I have multiple bank accounts, one for the internet. But I still have to find out how exactly everything works.

So far, the google AdSense is bringing in money quite well. They're only paying out when I reach 100$, which will take a few months. However, 175$ enables me to but the dedicated server, and then we're started. Then I'd rent servers and that should keep the dedicated server funded :).

And indeed, the place will need moderators when it really gets on it's feet. I'm not only thinking about moderators for the forums, but also for SoldatPage. However, it'll take some time before I can finish the moderator support for SoldatPage. I'll be permanently on the lookout for possible candidates :).

Grtz, DePhille

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 05:03:41 pm »
registered. get a new themememe though, this one is ugly.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 08:13:24 am »
Could you somehow increase the income of adsense?
Maybe by putting more of their ads or something. Atleast just temporary until you raise enough money. I don't think people will mind if this is for the right cause. I'd be glad to help out with paypal or anything, but I just bought soldat trough a friend of mine who has a credit card and I barely got him to do it...

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 10:44:03 am »
iDante: Alright, I've started a discussion about applying a new theme. According to the feedback in that topic I'll be applying a new theme or modify the existing one.

Will: There are a few options I could try:
- I could add another banner at the top of the page. Having more banners does not generate more income, it will only jump more easily into people's eyes.

- I could add a Google Search box. Everytime someone searches with it and clicks a sponsored link, this feature generates income. It can also search on SoldatPage.

- I could add a Google referer. This includes: Firefox with Google Toolbar (1$/download), Google AdSense (5$ if someone registers and makes 5$), Google AdWords (5$ if someone spends 5$) and Google Pack (2$ if someone installs a feature). I can maximum include two of these packs.

I could add all three options, but that'd make the site way too busy. Personally I think it's best to place a new collapsible menu, with the search and add one or two of the packs to the bottom of the pages without the Wbering. I'm opting for the Google Pack but I cannot decide between the AdSense and Firefox referers. If anyone has an opinion on this, let me know, you decide how your community looks like ;).

Grtz, DePhille

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:20:39 am »
ok let the ad be where it is now. And as you said, add a searchbar somewhere  where it would fit users needs. That way I could use soldatpage as a homepage and search from there. Then reccomend all the forumers to search from there if they have google as a startpage. that would help alot  think

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 03:51:15 pm »
You're brining me onto a great idea.

However, I'm going to be very inactive starting tomorrow until June the 21st, I have some heavy exams coming.
This will also delay the great idea you brought me to, so I won't yet announce what it's all about ;).
I'll log in here and there tough, to keep my eye on the stuff, but I won't be able to contribute that much. After the exams, Ive got three months of vacation, during that period I'm hoping to have enough money for the dedicated server so I can set it up and get things launched pretty fast.

Grtz, DePhille

Offline Carlitos

• Camper
  • Dont Give Up
    • Mr.Pants adventures on Soldat
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 08:01:27 pm »
oh forums! btw i think i need to register again on site
---See the advantures of Mr.Pants and others in soldat---
http://www.youtube.com/TugaSoldatTV
-------------------------------
Amen
-------------------------------

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 06:05:58 am »
Yeah, the registrations on the forums aren't connected to those on the site. That'd take me a few months to do that properly, and I don't think it's really worth it, first priority is getting that dedicated server before I start any new huge projects.

Grtz, DePhille