Author Topic: Can't connect to any servers  (Read 759 times)

Offline Shase

• Major(1)
Can't connect to any servers
« on: June 27, 2007, 03:42:48 am »
When I go to the lobby serverlist, all servers are pinged 9999. I can't connect with any of them. Not even with IP. As a result. I haven't played Soldat for over a week now!  :(

As the image shows, I'll get stock at parsing the servers when it almost done. The error begun right after I installed the BE update. ( besides that, I have installed a toolbar, and a windows skin. Both are also on my girlfriends computer )Since then I have tried to uninstall soldat, but can't uninstall it all. Because when I reinstall, it stills remember my registetion. Not that it should matter, but anyway. Not a full uninstallation.

I've tried on my girlfriends computer, right here in this house, so it's not my ISP, or router

I tried shutting the firewall, so it can't be that either.

I've read alle topics in the area, but couldn't find any that helped me.

It all worked fine right until the update. But now it dosent even work at singel player. I tried some INF here the other day, and after 10 min of play it frose while scoring. Resulting in 15000 points in INF, but also a crash where the soldat.exe buffed over 40 mb of ram. Don't know if that have anything to do with the problem.

Multiscore times way to many

Anybody have an idea of whats wrong?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:07:37 am by Shase »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Can't connect to any servers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:55:40 am »
I don't really have any suggestions, but thank you so far for being so thorough about what is wrong.

Can you please start up Soldat, then don't request the server list but try joining a known server like u13.net:23073 or any other one you know of.  Please let me know if you can join it, but like I said... don't request the server list first.

If that doesn't work, restart your computer and try again (don't request the server list at all before trying to join)

Offline Shase

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:09:54 am »
I tried your tip with serveral IP's but either of them worked. Even after restart.

Whats really makes me mad here, is that it looks like a firewall problem, but isen't.
futhermore I would really like to try uninstalling the whole game so I can get rid of any kind of logging materiel, but I can't find all the files on my computer.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 08:19:57 am »
Once you uninstall Soldat using the uninstaller, the only content left on your computer is your Soldat installation folder (probably C:\Soldat).  The registration stuff is just a single registry key that can in no way ever break anything, there is no point in trying to remove that.

If you uninstall Soldat and delete the Soldat folder, you're back to as if you've never installed Soldat.

I'd like to help you keep tracking down this problem.  How good would you say you are with computers, from a scale of 1(grandmother) to 10(me)?

Offline Shase

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:45:03 am »
I've tried uninstalling soldat, and removed the folder. After I reinstalled it still remembered my registration. But thats probaly not the problem if the one reg.key left is unbreakeble.

I would guess I'm on a 7-8 out of 10.

But thought of a router thing I want to check out. Last week I also tried  for the 3. time to set up my router for port forwarding so I could make a server. Maybe I touched something I shouldn't.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 08:48:07 am »
That is possible, definitely turn that off and see what happens.

If that doesn't help, download and install Wireshark: http://www.wireshark.org/

We're going to start sniffing out packets, then I'll have you send me the file of the packet dump and I'll take a look at it to see what is happening.  I'll tell you how to do that once you try the router thing and once you tell me you're actually interested in helping ;)

Offline Shase

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 08:57:09 am »
Son of a *****.... It turns out that the router settings I've played with for 3 month now didn't worked anymore. My router allows soldat to run freely. But after I've tried on my girlfriends computer I noticed that it wasen't nessesary, so when I didn't see anything wrong with them, but couldn't use them for making a server either I removed those settings, and now soldat works :-D

I can't believe that the port-forward settings on my router was the problem, but now when there are gone, soldat works fine.

I really apriciete your help. It's people like you who make the Internet a sweeter place.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 09:15:20 am »
Yeah, if you have a shitty router or you don't configure port forwarding right it will start to mess with outgoing packets destined for 23073 instead of just incoming one. I'll be that if you tried joining a server on a port other than the ones you forwarded, it would work fine.