Author Topic: Screen capture program.  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
Screen capture program.
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:56:29 pm »
Okay PRNT SCR and Paint doesn't work for movies, and I want to make a wallpaper or attempt to from a movie called 5cm per second.

I'm obsessed with the clouds. So does anybody know any good programs?

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline GunPowder

• Major
  • That's all folks.
Re: Screen capture program.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 10:09:42 pm »
VLC Player has this feature, right click when playing a video, and click Snapshot, Quality and such can be modified from the settings somewhere IIRC, not so sure about it though.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:27:44 pm »
I used VLC's snapshot deal for my movies quizzed.. only problem is to my knowledge it can't be bound to a key and I couldn't find out how on earth to resize it. However you can lower your hardware acceleration in display properties - settings - advanced - troubleshoot. I was told you can use print screen with this but I never got it to work... which is why I used VLC.
@ii

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 11:41:32 pm »
Turn off hardware acceleration. Works.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Radical Terrorist

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 11:45:16 pm »
Ok. I don't know exactly what kind of screen capture you want. But if it's video you're after, CamStudio is probably the best fraps replacement out there. And it also records to SWF for a smaller and more internet friendly file. It also has a selectable screen capture area, so you can go without toolbars or other outside stuff you dont want.
Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out alive.

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:54:30 am »
Windows Media Player Classic has a thumbnail feature, and you can save snapshots easy. ;)
Just another soul to burn.

Offline 8th_account

• Soldier
  • Munitions Support
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 02:34:00 am »
I used VLC's snapshot deal for my movies quizzed.. only problem is to my knowledge it can't be bound to a key and I couldn't find out how on earth to resize it. However you can lower your hardware acceleration in display properties - settings - advanced - troubleshoot. I was told you can use print screen with this but I never got it to work... which is why I used VLC.

ctrl+alt+s and ps/psp/gimp

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 06:47:23 am »
O wow I'm already using VLC (because the video is .mkv) and I didn't know that.....

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 07:33:24 am »
Oh, I get what he wants. Yeah, putting it into WMM and using the screen capture in there works. Most high-end video editors have an export frame option (but if you're using MS Paint, I doubt you have any).

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 01:09:03 pm »

ctrl+alt+s and ps/psp/gimp
Going to wallpaper size from the default size the snapshots are seems like a hell of alot of photoshopping for not much reward...

Check out the file I uploaded. Unless you want a big black border around it then like I said its not worth trying. That is unless you can change the size... like I said before I haven't found any option to change the size as of yet. I believe Smegma tried to change the default size for his movie quiz and couldn't figure out how.
@ii

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 04:12:05 pm »
Taladega nights, if I'm right?

Don't expect to get a great picture unless you use a screen capture in HD. If that's the case, and you're watching a DVD in HD and you're using Power DVD (usually comes with most DVD-Player compatible computers) you can press C and it'll take a screenshot.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 05:02:48 pm »
Alright thanks....now I have to find a way to turn off subs.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 08:52:17 pm »
On DVD player or on the video? If it's a normal video codec (I.E. avi, xvid, mp4...) you'll have to find something to crop the video, but that also means sacrificing the bottom of the video to the wallpaper gods.

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 10:17:21 pm »
It's an .mkv, so a friend told me I can't burn it unless I convert it to .avi, and that means I lose the subs.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Amblin

• Major(1)
  • Uwe Boll, a master and friend
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 02:34:52 pm »
It's an .mkv, so a friend told me I can't burn it unless I convert it to .avi, and that means I lose the subs.
That depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to play it back on a generic DVD player you're going to need to convert it to either a VCD or DVD. Depending on the tool you use to do that, you won't have to convert it to an AVI file inbetween.
You can also try to "burn" the soft subtitles of MKV onto the actual video stream. Check out MediaCoder, it might be able to do just what you want.