Author Topic: Things about Linux I should Know  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Radical Terrorist

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
Re: Things about Linux I should Know
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 10:11:39 pm »
I WAS speaking english above when I said I was gonna use it on the school computers to actually get work done, right? I didn't make any mention of using it for gaming, right?
Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out alive.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 10:38:02 pm »
I dislike Linux users because they seem to not realize what Linux is intended for.

Linux was originally intended as a free operating platform for servers.

Not for users to use as a potentially useless operating system.

It pisses me off when I see gamers who think that Linux and MacOS are worthwhile operating systems... Because when it comes to gaming (with the exception of Vista) Windows has always been the best, most compatible and most game-friendly operating system.

I'm pretty sure Mac users like to show off when they announce that they're getting a Mac... but then they pipe down when they've bought it because they realize that they basically just payed $2000 for a fast office computer.

Whilst Linux users just like to show off by saying "look how nerdy I am, I have an open source operating system" when they're secretly crying on the inside because they have to use Windows emulators to run practically every piece of software or game that exists which doesn't have a Linux version. - That means most pieces of software and games, since Linux represents less than a percent of all operating system users (if you exclude servers).

Also... what happens if a sexy girl who you really like asks to use your computer? And she says... what's all this? And you say "Linux" and she says "What??" and then you have to explain how you're a nerd and use an open source operating system which you downloaded from an underground online community of nerds to show off to other nerds.

Do you realize how wrong you are about just about everything you said?

- Games run better on Macs and Linux than on Windows.  The only reason the majority of games are for Windows right now is because of the market share that Windows has.  This is due to Microsoft's anti-competitive practices that have repeatedly resulted in them being brought to court in the US and EU.  Within a few years, you will see more major titles released cross-platform... not to mention that many already are and people just don't realize it.
- There is more to life than sitting and playing video games.
- The Mac OS is built on BSD, which is MORE SERVER-INTENDED than Linux
- Just because Linux and BSD were originally designed for servers means NOTHING about what they can be used for.  Did you know that the iPhone runs a very modified OSX which, like I said, is based on BSD?
- Have you ever even used Linux?  It really seems like you haven't
- You've really, really got your head up your ass
- I've been using Linux ONLY for 3 years now.  I do it because it is stable, fast, and runs everything I need.  It is secure and I don't need to worry about EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM that Windows users have.  I don't cry on the inside, except when I see some pitiful soul trying to use Vista.  I don't have any kind of show-off mentality, nor do ANY of the other Linux users I know.
- Sexy girl going "wtf?" at Linux?  My very sexy girlfriend uses Linux and loves it, she loves that she found out about it.  I know tens of girls who use and love Linux, and on my campus there are hundreds of people who use Linux with very normal social lives, likely more normal than you have.
- There's a reason that Dell, System76 and other OEMs sell Linux computers (desktops and laptops, not servers)
- There's a reason that Mac and Linux [non-server] use is growing exponentially/non-linearly
- Linux no longer depends on the terminal/command line.  My mom is computer illiterate.  I switched her to Linux 2 years ago and she has fewer problems and overall a much, much better computing experience since then.  I never have to do anything to her computer or for her.
- My dad too.

Get your head out of your ass before you talk next time, seriously.

I WAS speaking english above when I said I was gonna use it on the school computers to actually get work done, right? I didn't make any mention of using it for gaming, right?
Yes, they're all just responding to Mangled's incredibly stupid post.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:49:16 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 08:47:10 am »
- There is more to life than sitting and playing video games.

I'm glad you said that. A lot of people need to follow that advice.
And to the linux haters. I ran linux on an old NEC laptop that probably should have been retired a LONG time ago cause even the Windows 95 was starting to tax the hardware. The GUI to Puppy linux is VERY similar to Windows OS's (Hell, Puppy linux even has a Windows XP theme for it). The difference of course, is in the programming and coding behind everything, but when you're not even a programmer like me it doesn't matter. I still use windows but thats mostly cause I use software like Fruity Loops, Flash MX, Photoshop, stuff that wasn't written for Linux and will need an emulator of some sort to be run.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 03:34:39 pm »
- Games run better on Macs and Linux than on Windows. unless they run better on an ATI card, then linux is screwed The only reason the majority of games are for Windows right now is because of the market share that Windows has.  This is due to Microsoft's anti-competitive practices that have repeatedly resulted in them being brought to court in the US and EU.  Within a few years, you will see more major titles released cross-platform... not to mention that many already are and people just don't realize it. Market share is based more on what they were able to do with software developers. early apples were HORRIBLE and crashed like a drunk on a couch, so business and the likes used windows instead.
- There is more to life than sitting and playing video games. LIES
- Just because Linux and BSD were originally designed for servers means NOTHING about what they can be used for.  Did you know that the iPhone runs a very modified OSX which, like I said, is based on BSD? iPhone is crap to!
- Have you ever even used Linux?  It really seems like you haven't I have!
- I've been using Linux ONLY for 3 years now.  I do it because it is stable, fast, and runs everything I need.  It is secure and I don't need to worry about EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM that Windows users have.  I don't cry on the inside, except when I see some pitiful soul trying to use Vista.  I don't have any kind of show-off mentality, nor do ANY of the other Linux users I know. Mac users are generally the elitists, and if linux works for you great, but people have interests in things that are just incompatible or only partly compatible (Games, software ex.) so linux users get laughed at as they laugh at the windows user for using the most compatible OS available
- Sexy girl going "wtf?" at Linux?  My very sexy girlfriend uses Linux and loves it, she loves that she found out about it.  I know tens of girls who use and love Linux, and on my campus there are hundreds of people who use Linux with very normal social lives, likely more normal than you have. Pix or it isn't true
- There's a reason that Dell, System76 and other OEMs sell Linux computers (desktops and laptops, not servers)there is a reason that said computers are not selling
- There's a reason that Mac and Linux [non-server] use is growing exponentially/non-linearly
- Linux no longer depends on the terminal/command line.  My mom is computer illiterate.  I switched her to Linux 2 years ago and she has fewer problems and overall a much, much better computing experience since then.  I never have to do anything to her computer or for her.
- My dad too.My parents can't use MSN if the colors change. Try that one.
Muhahahaha
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 05:58:36 pm »
4-year-old, just about everything you said is flat-out wrong.  ATI cards now work better on Linux than they used to because AMD is opening up a lot of the specifications and the drivers are improving.

As for everything else, if you want to think all of that... be my guest.  I was merely putting in my 2 cents and what Mangled said was so incredibly wrong  I just had to say something

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 06:08:57 pm »
Let's all just admit that we're just to lazy to switch [retard]

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline ds dude

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • Lolicon Forever.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 06:22:04 pm »
Well, I think Linux is a very handy OS. Simply because I can get everything done fast. I can get my computer homework, book reports, spreadsheets done in a second.

To be honest, Flies was the one who got me into Linux. I've talked to him about it.
This signature was borked. Now it is not.

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 07:14:21 pm »
I figure What I'm gonna do is wait till next boxing day and buy a used Notebook for 200 bucks (~P4 2.4 ghz, 512 RAM, the usual) and put Ubuntu onto it. I'd do it on THIS computer, but the thing is that I have too much Not-so-linux- friendly applications Like Flash MX 2k4, Fruity loops, Sony Vegas (came in on my friend's video cam :D) and the like that I don't want to lose cause they're expensive to replace and they just plain don't work in linux w/o an emulator.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 07:57:17 pm »
Linux is so fast, I wish it could do something useful! Now, I know I can run the same programs from Windows like gimp and even an office program! but when I want to play half life or any other game(one of the few reasons I bought a good computer) that  would require booting windows, effectively canceling any speed I gained booting linux in the first place.

If you don't play games or don't play games on that particular system, then linux is probably the best OS you can find, if you do, Windows is a must.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 08:22:29 am »
Linux is so fast, I wish it could do something useful! Now, I know I can run the same programs from Windows like gimp and even an office program! but when I want to play half life or any other game(one of the few reasons I bought a good computer) that would require booting windows, effectively canceling any speed I gained booting linux in the first place.

If you don't play games or don't play games on that particular system, then linux is probably the best OS you can find, if you do, Windows is a must.
You can run all Steam games in Linux with the use of WINE, I know this for a fact.  And if any of you are World of WArcraft players, you can play that through WINE as well.  I've noticed an increase in performance  when I play these games with Ubuntu instead of Windows.  Just Google for a tutorial of how to setup Steam on Ubuntu if you want to give it a shot.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 11:51:23 am »
My friend is getting me WoW...
But again, Flash MX 2k4, Photoshop... alll the high end editors and stuff arent designed for Linux, which is holding me back...
Next boxing day I HAVE to get that laptop...

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 04:19:28 pm »
But again, Flash MX 2k4, Photoshop... alll the high end editors and stuff arent designed for Linux, which is holding me back...
You should learn GIMP if you haven't already.  I love GIMP quite frankly.  I'm sure there is plenty of photo editing software designed for Linux.  I've been a Ubuntu user for some time now and I haven't really bothered to check on photo editing software I'm ashamed to say.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 04:26:51 pm »
Linux is so fast, I wish it could do something useful! Now, I know I can run the same programs from Windows like gimp and even an office program! but when I want to play half life or any other game(one of the few reasons I bought a good computer) that would require booting windows, effectively canceling any speed I gained booting linux in the first place.

You can run all Steam games in Linux with the use of WINE, I know this for a fact.  And if any of you are World of WArcraft players, you can play that through WINE as well.  I've noticed an increase in performance  when I play these games with Ubuntu instead of Windows.  Just Google for a tutorial of how to setup Steam on Ubuntu if you want to give it a shot.
What about future games, Steam might work well, but the next battlefield or spore or something could have errors, with windows I know what I buy will work.

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 04:33:50 pm »

What about future games, Steam might work well, but the next battlefield or spore or something could have errors, with windows I know what I buy will work.
Of course, that's an important thing to factor in.  However, I'm merely stating that Steam games do in fact work.  It all depends on whether or not you have taste in games that will be released for Steam.  Even then, with some tweaking and configuring with WINE, there are plenty of other games that work from within Linux. :)  Not trying to convert you, there's nothing wrong with using Windows, I just prefer Ubuntu over it.  I will admit some compatibility issues have pissed me right off before, but that's not very often.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 05:52:26 pm »
1. You are screwed if you want to play without hassle. Thanks to MS.
2. If you like to configure and have control over the OS, then go for it. Otherwise stick to Windows.
3. If you like problem solving, go for Linux. ...and have fun building some 20-30% of the software from sources, and have fun failing doing so some 10% of time. Then go to google, and notice how not any of the workarounds work, and after 4 hours of solving you finally manage to get it working. If you dislike this, stick with Windows.
4. If you are open to new environments to work with, new ways to work in, and have time to spend on learning this all then go for Linux.

5. If you just want to have working OS without hassle, use Windows.

Seriously, Linux is for those who can and are willing to spend ALOT of time configuring/problem solving/learning it. It takes time. Is it worth it? Depends. Not in my case really, though I have two Ubuntu installations and one Puppy on another comp, just for the backup incase this computer/windows somehow fails, which is unlikely going to happen anytime soon.

I left out the positive comments about Linux for a purpose. I ain't any  MS/Windows fanboy, neither Linux or Mac fanboy. I use what I find the best for myself, and right now nothing beats WindowsXP. I am well aware of pros/cons of XP and Linux systems. If one really wants to test it out, give ArkLinux a try. Maintained by great people, really. ;)
Fight! Win! Prevail!

• Camper
  • The Turr'rst
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 11:37:52 pm »
You should learn GIMP if you haven't already.  I love GIMP quite frankly.  I'm sure there is plenty of photo editing software designed for Linux.  I've been a Ubuntu user for some time now and I haven't really bothered to check on photo editing software I'm ashamed to say.
I'm already familiar with GIMP, but its the Expensive Windows software I have that wont work on linux. That's why Im not gonna place linux on my existing PC, but rather, a Notebook I might use for school.