Author Topic: TW Ludol  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
TW Ludol
« on: September 01, 2008, 01:23:36 am »
Haven't done anything soldat related in ages, not sure if anything else needs to be appended. Anyhow:

Hilly TW map. My usual style as of lately. Over 16k pixels long, flags in the tiny hut things at the 1/4 and 3/4 points on the map. Players spawn in the air on the far sides, invisible player collides polygons to prevent them from wandering off the map. On a side note, I was listening to Csokolom's "Ludo Luda" album while laying the polys, and listening to Syd Barret while making the overview/screenshot above. Music certainly affects how my maps turn out.

Download the .PMS
No custom scenery/textures, as expected.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: TW Ludol
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:08:52 am »
I really like it, but you should do a couple things to make it better.

1. Smooth out some of the jagged edges.
I really like your polygon layout and the default look it creates, but in TW you need to be able to move fast and that means no jagged edges (there aren't many but they are easy to hit).

2. The ground is very... insubstantial.
I like how it thins out in places, but where it isn't it should be much thicker. It feels like I'm playing on a ribbon in-game.

3. The background is boring and hard to see.
Makes everything seem to die.

4. Scenery is a bit sparse.
Make some patches of cool scenery or something. Doesn't have to be much.

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 03:20:49 am »
i dont like that the map is...... "floating", i mean it should have all black at the bottom, or just have polygons at bottom

Offline tk

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 06:38:41 am »
Isn't it too big for a tw map? It would be nice if you make bunker backgrounds and put more scenery. Its too simple and looks boring.
Cut long spaces between bunkers and link this map again. It isn't very playable now.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:45:24 am by tk »

Offline Mr. America

• Soldier
  • Watch out for the blablabla!
    • My arcor homepage. There are just my maps.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 07:39:59 am »
I completly like the look. Maybe a bit too much hight difference.

Offline Norbo

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:45:14 am »
well i downloaded it and the background sux
lack of scenry, its too boring
also remove the fucking jets 0_o

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:42:36 am »
First off, good to see you making map MisterCharles.  I don't care if they suck, I still appreciate the effort.

First off, I wouldn't recommend to make TW maps with default style.  Most TW players are complete ********s who really only care about visuals rather than gameplay.  And TW isn't meant to have jets at all.

I'm not a fan of the layout, it's impossible to not die from spray and sniper shots, especially from the middle hill. 

And the polygon placements makes it harder to move around the map, especially if you're moving through enemy territory.

I do however, like the visuals.  I really do appreciate how you and several others mappers are only using default scenery and textures.

Map is almost a complete failure.  It's almost unplayable due to massive amounts of a spray and such.  If you want to make TW maps, I recommend to study other TW maps layouts, highly from VirtualTT's.  The only good thing is that is uses default stuff and looks quite nice.

And the background doesn't suck, what the **** are the rest of you smoking?

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:10:56 am »
I really do appreciate how you and several others mappers are only using default scenery and textures.
Sorry for going off the topic. I can't understand where does come from this appreciating only default scenery and textures? Okay I agree that if you are trying to do possible official map, you can't do over 100 kb sceneries but you can do smaller scenery as much as you want, I guess.

I'm not saying default scenery is bad, in fact they are fucking good scenery, for example default grass beats veg grass totally. Only problem is that default scenery is pretty limited to jungle-forest theme, the green themes.

For example there are no chances to create good looking necropol or fire themed maps if you aren't using custom scenery. Also the veg scenery give u a possibility to create different style of jungle theme more realistic.

I try use default scenery as much the map look good. But when I got better custom scenery, I won't think more than second using it.