Author Topic: remaking sfd  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Doc

• Soldier
    • Soldat Files Directory
remaking sfd
« on: January 21, 2009, 08:37:47 pm »
mmm hi

I recently remade and moved my website Soldat Files Directory. I am still remaking some things in it but would like to know what I could add or improve there.
Some of the things I am planning on adding filtered listing to teh maps section instead of fixed categorizing. yeah thats all i want to add my self at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: remaking sfd
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 07:35:18 am »
I hate to say this but you overused AJAX just for the special effects where not using it would be perfectly fine and you completely killed support for old browsers or people with javascript disabled.

You need to have more gametypes in the map listing.

Waiting for the nav's dropdown menus to fade into their entirety is annoying. Make them go faster or take away the useless fade effect.

And really, is it that hard to have a credits section somewhere that mentions that several features and the UI were inspired from things I've done? For example, in the map and apps page, the "« Previous File | Next File »" is completely inspired from TMS. And would it really be hard to mention that many of your maps are ripped directly from TMS with that xml file I gave you after you begged me for it?

To be honest, I wouldn't have it so whenever you click an AJAX javascript pagination or whatever link that the content doesn't move up then down rapidly as that dummy loading gif is displayed then disappears. If you insist on using javascript for every little thing, make it so the content doesn't do that when you click it.

Oh, and btw, many of your "unique hits" are search engines. At least try to get a decent number of hits by filtering out search engines from your hits tracking.

I also suggest you take advantage of gzip and compress your pages, css, and js files.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:47:25 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Doc

• Soldier
    • Soldat Files Directory
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:37 am »
why must you hate ajax. Browsers that support it: "Internet Explorer 5.0 and up, Opera 7.6 and up, Netscape 7.1 and up, Firefox 1.0 and up, Safari 1.2 and up, among others. " and teh fat percentage of users aer still on IE, if theirs is lower then 5 then its their problem. For teh people with out ajax, or javascript, i will still have a secon old school version of the pages so that people who are to scared to ahve their javascript enabled can still browse through.

Drop down menus rock, they save a lot fo apace and you get the whole navigation at your tips. Most popular rowsers support it and it works with out the javascrip also, will just pop down realy fast with out sliding. I know the mechanics are gay a the moment, thought I may change few things there.

Just because i added the next/prev links to the viewing of the files, i don't have to credit any one.

The maps section and the ripping is not even complete and automated yet. And that I will definitely credit because its a service.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 08:28:26 am »
why must you hate ajax. Browsers that support it: "Internet Explorer 5.0 and up, Opera 7.6 and up, Netscape 7.1 and up, Firefox 1.0 and up, Safari 1.2 and up, among others. " and teh fat percentage of users aer still on IE, if theirs is lower then 5 then its their problem. For teh people with out ajax, or javascript, i will still have a secon old school version of the pages so that people who are to scared to ahve their javascript enabled can still browse through.
Yes, I'm aware that it's really compatible and works for most browsers, but instead of saying "if you're afraid to enable javascript, click here" you should have it detect if they aren't using javascript to just show the static content. (this is called degrading gracefully) It's not hard. And this even makes me laugh since a few years ago I clearly remember you being afraid of enabling javascript and always having it disabled.

Drop down menus rock, they save a lot fo apace and you get the whole navigation at your tips. Most popular rowsers support it and it works with out the javascrip also, will just pop down realy fast with out sliding. I know the mechanics are gay a the moment, thought I may change few things there.
Yes, take the javascript out of that and let it just slide down fast. Making things fade just tells people you don't have any originality and want to cover that up with special effects.

Just because i added the next/prev links to the viewing of the files, i don't have to credit any one.
I mean how they look, not that they're there.

The maps section and the ripping is not even complete and automated yet. And that I will definitely credit because its a service.
Good.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Doc

• Soldier
    • Soldat Files Directory
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:39:28 am »
If you think i would put "if you're afraid to enable javascript, click here" for teh sake of the little people who got outdated browsers, then you should shoot your self or something i donno. probly there is sarcasm there in your line but i donno.

Changed the drop down menu to ajax. Main links are displayed by default and sub links are loaded by ajax, if no javascript it present it just spits out all the sub links in an orderly fashion.

What you mean how they look? I changed the style for those links like 5 times. This time i didn't want to make any css and make it all stylish so i just spit it out in the middle before all the info of the files. I had other things on my mind so it just turned out that way.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 09:47:16 am »
oh no...what has gone wrong?!?!
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline stt]

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 05:26:52 pm »
Hey there, i think it would be really good if you could add some categories to the Mods section, such as full modifications, gosteks, explosions, weaponskins, interfaces, miscellaneous, Sfx, Etc... [medikit]