Author Topic: Singers made or born?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Yes

• Soldier
  • Yes.
Singers made or born?
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:33:16 am »
Are singers made or born? I've always wondered this and can singers sing any song and still make it sound good? For example could a rock singer sing a R&B song and still make it sound good with their voice?
One Love
Yes

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Singers made or born?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:57:43 am »
Are singers made or born? I've always wondered this and can singers sing any song and still make it sound good? For example could a rock singer sing a R&B song and still make it sound good with their voice?
Yes. Look at Darius Rucker. He's an African-American who went from being the the lead singer and rhythm guitarist of the American rock band Hootie & the Blowfish around a decade back and now he's a popular country singer, and a damn good one.
There are other worlds than these

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 04:11:02 am »
same answer as always for this kinda thing, it all comes to "nature versus nurture"

As usual, the answer is "some of both"

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 03:30:54 pm »
"nature versus nurture"

As usual, the answer is "some of both"

also some singers have shitty voices but they fit their style or genre, and can still be considered good

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:31:42 pm »
What a ridiculous question. No, singers are not born in the same way that astronauts, teachers, christians and engineers aren't born. They are "made" even though "made" is a pathetic word to use in this instance.

The measure of what makes someone a good vocalist is completely arbitrary also.

So long as you have vocal chords and lungs and a brain you have the ability to sing. How well completely depends on how tonedeaf, pretentious or stupid you and/or your audience is.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 07:52:26 pm »
depends on what you think is good singing.

lill' punkass was born stupid.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 08:37:45 pm »
I'll be honest, I like AC/DC, but their singer's (both) voice(s) is(are) really not that great.
To answer your question, however much you like this person or think he is good/bad, I thought this took quite a bit of talent.
A lot of music just has to do with the audience (see: The Cranberries) but some people do have the ability to have a higher pitch range, ability to keep a stable pitch, etc. which are things that generally mean they are better. So I think they are born. But to be truly great, they have to work at it a lot. In this case, I think it is mostly being born with it.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 08:39:23 pm »
Frank Sinatra is an example of born talent...
Michael Jackson is an example of a made failure.
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline poopdogg

• Camper
  • Graffiti 4 ever
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:33:57 pm »
Its either made or born . . . .

(Sorry if I am unintelligent, since the knowledge I have only comes from a school text book...)