Author Topic: Forums down?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Forums down?
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:48:43 am »
Well, what happened was, sometime around evening(GMT +8), the Soldat forums were down for a while. This has happened twice as far as I remember - today (7pm) and yesterday(around 10pm). I am not the only one experiencing the inability to connect to the Soldat forums. I'm not so sure about the Soldat servers themselves, but I hear from a few people that either the game servers or the lobby were down as well.

Is something wrong?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:11:37 am by STM1993 »

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Forums down?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 06:31:33 pm »
My host had an issue with their core router.  The connections (they have two connections out from their network) were up, but were acting as if they were both seeing about 80% packet loss.  Yesterday it happened for one of the upstreams for about 15 minutes, but then cleared.

I've been in contact with them but haven't heard anything else about it besides ^^, which is what I saw.  My servers were all up and healthy, it was purely a connectivity issue beyond my control.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Forums down?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10:54 pm »
Here is the resolution information I just received from my host's support group

All ,

We have IDENTIFIED  and FIXED the cause of intermittent network issues at the Chicago datacenter that have been occurring since last few days (Last event at 6 AM CST).

The source of the problem appears to  be a Customer’s server in our datacenter that was hacked and used to launch Denial of Service (DoS)  attacks of short intervals. The machine appeared to have a floodbot running on it and was compromised recently. The machine has been taken off the network and is being investigated.

What is a FloodBot ?

FloodBot is a flooder designed to flood chat-programs. These types of programs attack IRC channels with huge amounts of worthless data and traffic in order to dramatically reduce internet speed or to jam the channel ; thus making it inoperable.

Why did our monitoring system did not pick it up ?

The session of length of this attack on an IRC channel is between 2-7 minutes. Our monitoring systems are configured  to report a continuous abnormal usage of 15 minutes.

Why our carrier monitoring system did not pick this up?

Our ISP also polls and monitors UPSTREAM and DOWNSTREAM links every 15 minutes. The OLD data is not preserved.

By the time the technician picks up the our calls reporting the issue and looks at the system - the bandwidth usage data is already lost.

What do we plan to ensure this does not happen again.

The polling, monitoring and alert frequency will be recalibrated to pick up these issues. We are also in the midst of a long term project to enhance our network sniffing capabilities.

Thank You