Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs The World  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:56:12 pm »
Have any of you seen this movie yet? I saw it the other day ... twice. And then again yesterday ... on my own. Seriously, that's how much I loved this movie.

It may just be because I happen to like movies that don't take themselves seriously. That is, they sort of make fun of themselves in a way. This movie is much more about emphasizing character interaction and presenting that interaction in a witty and funny way than it is about development, storytelling, etc.

Yes, yes, the lead actor is Michael Cera, and we all know what his acting style is, but he tends to break out of that style every now and then in this movie. His style probably doesn't do the Scott character much justice, but he wasn't BAD. Part of that is probably due to the fact that the supporting characters in this film, as with the comic, are the primary source of entertainment during the calmer parts of the movie.

Anyway, if you saw the movie, what did you think? If you haven't seen the movie, indulge the gamer/anime fan within you and go see it.

Edit: "Ask them what it's like to get his sloppy seconds."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:59:25 pm by Kazuki »

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
Re: Scott Pilgrim vs The World
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 03:43:22 pm »
I thought it was pretty great. Not at all what I expected.
Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:54:56 pm »
Hells yeah I did! One of my absolute favorite films of all time.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline n00bface

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 04:14:05 pm »
When I saw that movie, I thought, dude, that gay guy looks like Macaulay Culkin.  Then the internet confirmed that it was his brother!  I was like, oh shit, Macaulay Culkin's brother is enjoying greater success today than he is!

That's what I got out of the movie.

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 05:22:44 pm »
Haha yeah, Keiran Culkin actually pretty much stole the show in this movie. I never even knew of him until now.

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:28:29 pm »
Given Edgar Wright's track record now, he's perhaps the most talented director nowadays. Knowing that the man behind the brilliantly efficient comedies Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead was working on it, as well as my favorite band Anamanaguchi were associated with the project I watched it with insane expectations. I would have been disappointed by Anamanaguchi's absence (they scored the just as awesome game tie-in) if the musical cues weren't as great as they were.

The casting was excellent. I think Michael Cera has a bum rap for always playing the same character. I haven't found that, and he performed amazingly well. And I've never seen such a clever, deadpan and funny gay character as Kieran Culkin portrayed. It's a polar opposite of the stereotypical lisping, flaming, hyperactive Will & Grace idiots. Oh and Ellen Wong who played Knives Chau should get a freaking Oscar. She was the real show stealer with her energetic and very convincing performance.

The fights were on par with the best Jackie Chan films. There weren't any fast cuts, hits felt like they hurt and the cameras were pulled back far enough where you could follow the action and appreciate the fight choreography. It was exaggerated enough and embraced the absurdity of what might as well have been a Mega Man plot.

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 05:29:59 pm »
i didnt think there were enough explosions

on the count that it had some explosions (but not enough) i give it 2 panzers out of five

Offline 10th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:19:16 pm »
There were quite a bit of explosions. The only one who could deliver more would be fucking Michael Bay. But then your movie would suffer from annoying racist characters, awful CGI and a bullshit plot.

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 01:40:33 am »
i didnt think there were enough explosions

on the count that it had some explosions (but not enough) i give it 2 panzers out of five

The only explosions you really need in this film are Lucas Lee bailing and Crash and the Boys getting incinerated by a fireball.

10th_account, I agree with pretty much everything you said. I also found the humor to be very different from most movies. It wasn't quite awkward humor (i.e. Napoleon Dynamite, Superbad), and it wasn't really stupid humor (i.e. every Vince Vaughn or Jack Black movie). For some reason, the one-liners just hit home for me.

Scott: ":) Can I have your -"
Lucas: *punches Scott*
Scott: ":| Can I have your autograph?"

The various sound effects from classics like Sonic, Mario, Zelda, etc. were very welcome, too. If there's one thing that I don't love about this movie, it's that it compresses 6 volumes of the Scott Pilgrim books into a 2-hour film. It does it quite well, but I'm always down for more Scott Pilgrim content.

Oh, and the music kicks ass, too.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:42:21 am by Kazuki »