Poll

Post Notifications?

Yes.
5 (41.7%)
No.
7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Post Notifications  (Read 2490 times)

DarkCrusade

Post Notifications
« on: December 26, 2010, 02:27:01 am »
This is a useful feature for discussions and such. In case notifications are turned on, the user will get an email with the content of the post, starting from "@username:" and ending either with the end of the post or with the next "@"-symbol. This means that - if you are only interested in one discussion - you can just wait for an email instead of refreshing pages on forums.soldat.pl, or you're leaving for some time and can't find the thread anymore.

Nothing too complex & poll added!

Offline chutem

• Veteran
Re: Post Notifications
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 03:06:22 am »

Look at the top of the page, where you see the page numbers, keep that vertical height in mind and scoot over to the other side of the page. Oh looky, three large buttons. That one in the middle, called notify, I think that is what you are looking for :P
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

DarkCrusade

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 03:52:39 am »
I know that feature, but it's totally different from what I suggest. The feature you are talking about notifies me whenenver someone posts to that topic, while my suggestion only sends an email when someone talks to me.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 04:38:38 am »
Oh right I see, only skimmed over it before.

Feel this isn't really useful tbh, any examples of when this would have been useful?

Pseudo switch my vote from yes to no.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 04:47:11 am »
I've already given some examples in my first post. The best example is having a discussion with somebody and not wanting to refresh the page all the time. Many have email programmes which notify you when you have a new email. I believed it'd add more comfort to soldatforums.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 08:09:53 am »
I've already given some examples in my first post. The best example is having a discussion with somebody and not wanting to refresh the page all the time. Many have email programmes which notify you when you have a new email. I believed it'd add more comfort to soldatforums.
Facebook-like notifications? Mad?

EDIT: k. it's not like facebook. Anyway, it's already here.
Tick this in your account settings: "When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please don't reply to these emails.)".
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:12:36 am by Wookash »
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 04:11:50 pm »
Nah wookash, what he wants is an email sent to you when someones post contains @Darkcrusade: blah blah blah

So that he only reads stuff directed at him.

I think the only way this could work would be if you could reply to specific posts, at the moment you can quote etc, but there is no one way of replying to a specific person, so it would be hard to implement. Everyone would have to use this syntax, and if people didn't, you would miss their replies.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 04:45:09 pm »
I think the only way this could work would be if you could reply to specific posts, at the moment you can quote etc, but there is no one way of replying to a specific person, so it would be hard to implement. Everyone would have to use this syntax, and if people didn't, you would miss their replies.

That's no problem at all. It's already possible to send a PM upon registering which can tell new users where to post and how to post. Nothing special at all ;)

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 11:03:52 pm »
So what if you just want to make a general comment to no one in particular

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 11:13:21 pm »
Don't use the syntax.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 11:37:33 pm »
But no one will see it because they will all be just checking their emails for replies (which seems stupid imo)

Possible solution: Add a reply button to each post, next to the quote button. Replies will still work the same way (no trees), but the replyee will get some kind of notification.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:39:14 pm by chutem »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 12:24:24 am »
Sounds like something I know from deviantArt. It's a nice and handy feature.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 12:25:47 am »
Deviantart does trees, so no

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:45 am »
For reasons described above, the idea does nothing for me and I doubt it'll be implemented.
There are other worlds than these

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 10:35:57 am »
not worth the effort