Author Topic: The Soldat Fan Apps Wiki Article (SFAWA)  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
The Soldat Fan Apps Wiki Article (SFAWA)
« on: January 16, 2007, 04:23:09 pm »
Hello folks,

I have just created a Wiki article for the "Fan Apps" list orginally created by FliesLikeABrick.

I also have just added some new content and deleted the programs with broken links.

This list is an easier way to add new programs to this list and modify missing or broken links.

Good idea? Bad idea? Discuss!

Link: http://wiki.soldat.nl/Fan_Apps
Hmm, any idea what to write here?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: The Soldat Fan Apps Wiki Article (SFAWA)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 04:40:46 pm »
This will probably work out better than the Fapps sticky, though I'll do my best to keep that updated as well

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 04:44:41 pm »
Good Work.  :)
This should work out better than the Fan Apps list, as FLAB hasn't updated that in ?months?
I'll see if I can help you out with the download links, as I have most of those programs on my comp.
Soldat Lobby Avec Players -New Release! - Updated AGAIN!

Offline Sebastian

• Major
  • Secretly Canadian
    • 2Wai Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 04:48:11 pm »
With all respect, cube, but creating articles in the soldatwiki by just copy/pasting a topic of this forum is pretty useless, especially if there's a total lack on links, which is in this case absolutely necessary.

As  Denacke said in the second post of the topic you had the info from ( http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=173.0 )

Wiki.soldat.nl is also trying to establish a list of Soldat-related Tools.

If you wish, you can Add your own software to the list. If you do, please look at some Examples and try to follow their lay-out.

Thanks in advance

It's better to create an article for each application (with a working downloadlink) and put it in the category 'tools' ( http://wiki.soldat.nl/Category:Tools ) on the soldatwiki.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 04:52:02 pm by Sebastian »

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:32:02 pm »
umm... You need to copy the links too...

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 06:44:06 pm »
He is working on adding the links.  If this turns out to be a complete and updated version of the Fapps sticky, I'll just unsticky it and add a new sticky which links to the wiki

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 07:43:46 am »
DEAR sebastian,

1. I have asked FliesLikeABrick if this has sense, he has said: "Yes! Very good idea, thank you that you make it"!

2. I have been making it and I had to go, so i was not able to add the links right now, sorry, I'll add them

3. Don't you see the sense of it? In the SoldatForum, only FLAB can edit this. In the Wiki, everyone can add his own program.

I do not understand what is so useless in there -.- think about it twice, mate.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

And the Wiki shows you if the link is broken or not - this isn't possible in the forum.

@FLAB:

I'll try to make it a complete and updated version of course, but I hope I'll not get more posts like this from Sebastian -.-

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:40:50 am »
DEAR Soldat Fan Apps Wiki Article Editor (SFAWAE), I have just written some Not So Important Reply Bollocks (NSIRB) for You To Read (YTR).

3. Don't you see the sense of it? In the SoldatForum, only FLAB can edit this. In the Wiki, everyone can add his own program.
To be honest, the moderators can edit that list too. Not that anybody really cares.

And the Wiki shows you if the link is broken or not - this isn't possible in the forum.

Hmmm? Internal links to wiki articles that haven't been written yet, yes - but not for external links in case that's what you meant.

About this Wiki artile... first off, a wiki is a free encyclopedia that anybody can edit. To my common sense you therefore shoudln't sign or take credit for articles like that notice in the absolute beginning of the article. If one would want to see who put the article together then he/she could simply check out the articles history. Neither do you put ideas for future updates in the actual article... there's a big shiny discussion page for fun stuff like that.

I also have just added some new content and deleted the programs with broken links.

Since you have bragged a tad about how this is superior to the forum topic I can't understand why you removed some of the programs whose links actually had been re-posted in that very topic. [/shameless selfpromotion]

Quote from: Sebastian
It's better to create an article for each application (with a working downloadlink) and put it in the category 'tools' ( http://wiki.soldat.nl/Category:Tools ) on the soldatwiki.

Indeed, your list is basically a duplicate of that one with more applications (right now, with no links either) and without anything to really read. Cube, I think you wrote something about creating redirection pages to your list from an application article (I might be wrong since I wrote this in a hurry). ...what would the point of that be?

I don't expect you to bring down the moon for us, and I do realise that work on this article may have only just begun. I do realise you do not have all the time in the world to write this.

And finally some good advice: you don't have to create abbreviations for everything.

Offline Sebastian

• Major
  • Secretly Canadian
    • 2Wai Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 10:18:53 am »
Might maybe not that unhandy to create a filemanager for the soldat applications ( as http://startblog.eu/soldat/ by example ) and integrate it somehow to the soldatwiki, to avoid broken downloadlinks. More like a 'file-wiki'.

--

Cube, I didn't see the sense of simply copy/pasting a topic of this forum to the soldatwiki, knowing there's already a tools-category on the wiki ( which still needs further customization though ). Your idea isn't senseless, but i didn't really get the point of the fan-apps article on the wiki. As Denacke, Toumaz and me already said :

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 11:12:20 am »
DEAR Soldat Fan Apps Wiki Article Editor (SFAWAE), I have just written some Not So Important Reply Bollocks (NSIRB) for You To Read (YTR).

To be honest, the moderators can edit that list too. Not that anybody really cares.

Hmmm? Internal links to wiki articles that haven't been written yet, yes - but not for external links in case that's what you meant.

About this Wiki artile... first off, a wiki is a free encyclopedia that anybody can edit. To my common sense you therefore shoudln't sign or take credit for articles like that notice in the absolute beginning of the article. If one would want to see who put the article together then he/she could simply check out the articles history. Neither do you put ideas for future updates in the actual article... there's a big shiny discussion page for fun stuff like that.

Since you have bragged a tad about how this is superior to the forum topic I can't understand why you removed some of the programs whose links actually had been re-posted in that very topic. [/shameless selfpromotion]

Quote from: Sebastian

Indeed, your list is basically a duplicate of that one with more applications (right now, with no links either) and without anything to really read. Cube, I think you wrote something about creating redirection pages to your list from an application article (I might be wrong since I wrote this in a hurry). ...what would the point of that be?

I don't expect you to bring down the moon for us, and I do realise that work on this article may have only just begun. I do realise you do not have all the time in the world to write this.

And finally some good advice: you don't have to create abbreviations for everything.

lol toumaz this has no sense

dont like it, dont use it.

i already know you dont like me, no need to tell me that

and finally - what abbrevations

and - what selfpromotion, do you cry you didnt make that, lol toumaz, youre funny

Offline KentheGreat

• Soldier
    • a Kennie blog
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 02:04:26 pm »
lol toumaz this has no sense

dont like it, dont use it.

i already know you dont like me, no need to tell me that

and finally - what abbrevations

and - what selfpromotion, do you cry you didnt make that, lol toumaz, youre funny

abbrevations - such as SFAWA and all other stuff you shorten to you related subjects to.

selfpromotion - read what he quoted. he said that you did not add programs whose links were fixed in the replies.

I take it as you know what the words mean but can't place them into the right position, therefor I will not play your private teacher.

And I think the power of who controls what content is put up should be set to only a chosen group, like moderators and those right now.

Nothing against Wiki, but afaik the forum is more visited.

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 03:48:59 pm »
Oh, thank you for your reply non-opponent Ken who blocked me. I'm glad to find only positive/constructive aspects of SFAWA here :P I would have expected hard critism. :P

I did know the word, but, as you said, I couldn't put them into right position.

But I still don't know if you mean "Cube only wants to be popular" with selfpromotion, or simply that I didn't add the fixed programmes yet?

SORRY, again, THIS PAGE IS NOT READY!!!

In future I will post only when the product I want to present is completely done.

You are right, only some people should have permission to edit that, but if this would take place, we would come back to the point we are right now (or have been before SFAWA).

-.- Thomaz, I am sorry that I called this SFAWA, but I don't know why you have a problem with that.

@Ken:

You completely right, Wiki is less visited then the Soldatforums, but it's still popular.

and, again, my primary question is that with thet selfpromotion.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 03:51:01 pm by Cube »

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 12:26:22 am »
and, again, my primary question is that with thet selfpromotion.

selfpromotion - read what he quoted. he said that you did not add programs whose links were fixed in the replies.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 12:37:10 am »
I have started adding download links to the article.

Edit: I have added download links to every fan app in the article. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:16:08 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 05:38:04 am »
oh, thanks jrgp.

thomaz, i read this topic, no need to quote it -.-
and i understand what you mean with selfpromotion, although I don't see a problem in there, but I think that you simply used a wrong word for this behaviour, didn't you?

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 06:20:28 am »
thomaz, i read this topic, no need to quote it -.-

It's Toumaz, thank you. You asked me a question that already had been answered twice, so I figured I needed to bold out the relevant parts for you.

and i understand what you mean with selfpromotion, although I don't see a problem in there, but I think that you simply used a wrong word for this behaviour, didn't you?

I think not. If you haven't got it already, I was referencing to my two posts asking for an update to the Soldat Manager link here and here in the fan apps list.

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 06:28:41 am »
omfg sorry toumaz, i didn't understand you. i just made the list, withouth anylinks and that stuff, so I even didn't read all of the posts, I'm sorry, I'll do that, and ill add your program OF COURSE.

peace

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 07:09:10 am »
oooo. lol.

Since anyone can edit that, I bet it will be updated alot. ;)

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 07:50:28 am »
Just edited the page with - Broken Link? next to every link that was, well, broken. The links and everything else are still there, no removing anything.

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 08:10:22 am »
oh cool, thanks