Author Topic: It's a better Anti-Hack system.  (Read 5673 times)

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
It's a better Anti-Hack system.
« on: January 19, 2007, 08:47:12 pm »
I may be a bit blunt in saying that, but I needed some attention. I'm a desperate case :o

Anywho, here's the idea. Hacking exibits symptoms, much like any other problem. In math for example, the symptom of an incorrect variable is found in having an improper result. Likewise, if it were possible to determine the symptoms of hacking programs one could then apply this info to a filter, that would then block out hackers.

It's a tad vague, please ask if you need clarification :D

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
Re: It's a better Anti-Hack system.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 08:59:56 pm »
So, you are suggesting locating the max and min values of variables, and if anyone goes over these variables, they are banned?

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 09:10:11 pm »
Not banned ... but, this is the detection system. Kinda like seeing a fever on someone; it alerts the people around 'em that they may be sick, but if it's truely an emergency you call the doctor in.

So this is just one part of an anti-hack system. Just thought I'd go post it before I forgot :)

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:12:47 pm »
sounds interesting...

I wonder if this is possible using server scripts..

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 09:13:15 pm »
er, checking if a variable goes over/under its min/max values wont catch cheaters....

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:23:20 pm »
I'm sorry, but why ?

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 09:30:52 pm »
Because that is not how cheats work...

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 09:36:36 pm »
Alrighty then, could you explain what they do-do ? At least one symptom would be abnormal speed, so someone exceeding a speedlimit would be red flagged. Anything else that occurs ?

You have to broaden  your horizons, not just be constrained by things like latency or package loss. Hackers are (mostly) imaginitive people; anti-hackers have to be even moreso. So go ahead. Inform me.

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 03:21:22 am »
Quite a good idea you got but I'm sure EnEsCe would have thought about it also.

For example
Alrighty then, could you explain what they do-do ? At least one symptom would be abnormal speed, so someone exceeding a speedlimit would be red flagged. Anything else that occurs ?
Someone posted an idea like this but got a response that basically anything would trigger the anti-cheat system (eg: lag, m79 boost)

But it's nice knowing that your trying to find ways to stop hackers.  :)
Soldat Lobby Avec Players -New Release! - Updated AGAIN!

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 03:48:13 am »
Yeah, EnEsCe is right. Thats not how cheats work.

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 11:39:59 am »
Anything that catches lag as collateral is still a good idea :)

Anyways, speed wouldn't be the only factor. Maybe time between caps, damage, chat, ping, ect. There are so many variables that could, well, vary when a hacker is hacking. The hard part is finding 'em.

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 04:27:51 pm »
you could (i don't know if its possible but) kick players who's location is inside polygons (specific polygons i mean not "only bullets collide"). Would at least remove some hackers (if u can script that.).
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 06:33:26 pm »
Nah, in that case you just mod the maps to have deadly polygons on the interior. Besides, I already do that ;)

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 09:44:32 am »
i actually used this method in my Hoverrace script that i'm going to release soon, if a speedhacker makes a clearly impossible roundtime, he is kicked. why shouldn't that (in a modified way) work for some parts of soldat aswell?
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline EnEsCe

• Flamebow Warrior
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 09:48:10 am »
Soldat already does ban people if they cap in an 'impossible roundtime', excluding Climb maps because some mappers like putting both flags on top of each other.

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 08:36:02 am »
humm odd i dont get kicked wen that happends i only get "index list out of bounds" (gotta klick enter as meany times as i cap)
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline Fitzpatrick

• Major
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 05:19:05 pm »
I think it would be easier to find the weaknesses in Soldat & tighten them up.
Of course, the only problem with that is the closed source code.
But correct me if I am mistaken, most hacking programs will be closed source as well.
So instead of finding the exploits of many programs, it would be easier to find the exploits of one, Soldat.
One way of doing this would be to offer rewards to those who reveal "undiscovered" ways of cheating.
MM could then fix these issues. Your thoughts?
Fitzpatrick

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 05:10:15 am »
I think it would be easier to find the weaknesses in Soldat & tighten them up.
Of course, the only problem with that is the closed source code.
But correct me if I am mistaken, most hacking programs will be closed source as well.
So instead of finding the exploits of many programs, it would be easier to find the exploits of one, Soldat.
One way of doing this would be to offer rewards to those who reveal "undiscovered" ways of cheating.
MM could then fix these issues. Your thoughts?
Actually more regular and not so delayed release cycles would do it best. new version once in 1-2 months, making known hacks impossible to use, would make it more furstrating to write(Well, just do the searching) all the hacks again and again.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Fitzpatrick

• Major
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 05:11:25 pm »
Actually more regular and not so delayed release cycles would do it best. new version once in 1-2 months, making known hacks impossible to use, would make it more furstrating to write(Well, just do the searching) all the hacks again and again.
Here are my thoughts:
Instead of a new version every few months, create a separate program (i.e. punkbuster).
That program will be updated as new exploits are found.
Updates could be released at any time and users would need to update in order to play online.
The updating process would take very little time, depending on the update size.

Questions? Comments?
Fitzpatrick

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 05:20:43 pm »
Here are my thoughts:
Instead of a new version every few months, create a separate program (i.e. punkbuster).
That program will be updated as new exploits are found.
Updates could be released at any time and users would need to update in order to play online.
The updating process would take very little time, depending on the update size.

Questions? Comments?

Ring ring ring! Jackpot!
Even though it isn't Punkbuster that's going to be used, though a very similar program... That sounds all good to me since I have never had any trouble with Warsow's protection.