Poll

Support/No

Support
No

Author Topic: Adjustable Gravity.  (Read 7008 times)

Offline fishfood

• Major
Re: Adjustable Gravity.
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 02:07:52 am »
Support for sure.
I would rather have it in a map setting or something though, not as a server wide setting.  Or perhaps the server could turn it on and off for certain maps without restarting?

Offline NinjaNali

• Major(1)
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2007, 11:27:02 am »
yea i support, the possabilites that could come out of maps with this would be great. but i've always thought it would be better for someone else whos good at the coding in this game to do them, like a second hand man. then michael could do plently of bug fixing and patches while other people work on these great mods :D
BANZAI!!!!!

Offline Avis

• Camper
  • Aufmachen, Gestapo
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2007, 12:22:55 pm »
There should be a lot of game factors available to be customized... health, gravity, hitzone damage multipliers, bullet gravities (maybe in the weapons.ini as "Bullet Weight").

But, of course, support :D
What happened to your science? All things fall at a constant speed no matter how heavy. in a vacuum a feather will fall as fast as a bowling ball. about 9.8 m/s^2 I think...

Total support, I can imaging hundreds of fun possibilities spawning off of this.

But a lighter accellerated bullet can surmount the gravity for a longer time, where the heavy bullet with the same given speed to it falls earlier.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 12:25:32 pm by Avis »
BANG! 5:45 o' clock. It's the police raiding your home, blackmailing you.

Offline neon

• Major
  • yay :)
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2007, 06:23:38 pm »
i htink it would be a cool idea  :) be something fun to play around with if nothing else

Offline ThunderPantz

• Camper
  • My avatar rules you.
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2007, 08:28:11 pm »
/support cuz i wana jump uber high with moon grav

LET THE BASH PIT LIVE ON.
Smoking doesn't kill people, cancer and tobacco does.

Offline BlackHawK

• Major
  • La agua que te guia es todo un mar de porquerias!
    • Soldat[BR]
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2007, 11:44:23 pm »
the bullets idea is good, but i think thats complicated to do :/

by the way.. support!
Flávio Santos Ferrel

------------
Dentre outras mil és tu Brasil, Oh Pátria amada!
Dos filhos deste solo és mãe gentil, Pátria amada Brasil!

Offline NoomllukS

• Major(1)
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2007, 02:34:56 am »
if it would be enabled to reduce gravity, imo the main question is, how realistic would it adjusted?
I mean, if you'd shoot a gun in space you will float backwards because of the recoil.
so your aming would not be 100% accurate. you'd be pushed away in the reverse direction of your shot every time you shoot. so you'd have to think about when you will shoot and when you won't.
imo this would be a greater competition.
/support!

If you want to attain your goal, you have to leave corpses on your way... If need be, even yours!

Offline Avis

• Camper
  • Aufmachen, Gestapo
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2007, 11:21:57 am »
the bullets idea is good, but i think thats complicated to do :/
You just have to change the constant value (The gravity for the bullets) into a variable.
BANG! 5:45 o' clock. It's the police raiding your home, blackmailing you.

Offline Kerrazyeye

• Soldier
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2007, 11:54:35 am »
Maybe the soldat can go into like...a fly mode. When your in the air you can initiate it; cant use nades or gun, accelerate with rmb and steer the soldat with crosshair.....would be pretty sweet, and then 0 gravity would be a viable mode...or maybe holding jump and jets at the same time, bursts you in the direction of the crosshair about 1/7 of the screen, but using up all your jets. [/dreaming]

Offline chains

• Major(1)
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2007, 12:51:24 pm »
Adjustable gravity is interesting.

I dont really see a problem with 0 gravity.. its fun for once but its unplayable so nobody will host a server like that. Like someone said physics values should be set in the map config, so a host wouldnt have to tweak stuff unless he wants to.

But along with gravity everything should be ajustable.
- gravity
- mass of objects (such as bullets, reinforcements, players, ..)
- friction, restitution (or whatever constants that are being used in collision detection)
- Wind would be cool too. (like random wind direction and strength every new game, kind of like worms)

There are too many possibilities so im gonna stop here :)
the sig rules are silly. disable sigs!

Offline Riax

• Major(1)
  • :M: Turbo Team!
    • Simplexity Network
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2007, 02:15:11 am »
From a coding standpoint, I think that server-wide adjustable gravity for players and objects (dropped weapons, heathkits, etc) would be relatively easy to implement. Also, I don't think it would be too much harder to make the setting map-specific; an INI file (even soldat.ini or server.ini) could contain a section like this:
Code: [Select]
[MapGravity]
ctf_Kampf=75
inf_Moonshine=50
Airpirates=25
The example above uses percentages, and if, when a map loads, its gravity setting isn't specified, the server will assume it is 100.

As for bullet gravity, if the physics system in the game uses the same gravity constant for bullets as it does players and objects, it would be as easy to implement as the above, but I believe there should be, as Avis suggested, a WM setting for bullet gravity that would be separate from the player/object gravity setting.

If MM feels this would be a relatively easily-implemented feature (on either level I suggested), I'd be excited about it. I support this suggestion. :)

Quote from: iDante
about 9.8 m/s^2 I think...
On Earth, g = 9.80665 m/s²
I got a B+ in Honors Physics.
Also, from memory, Pi = 3.141592654 :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:19:20 am by Riax »
Server Admin, MegaMod CTF

Founder, Simplexity Network // Fan, Machine Supremacy

Offline KingOfPing

• Major
  • You have huge mental retardation!