Author Topic: Add flight controls when jetting while prone.  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
Add flight controls when jetting while prone.
« on: January 20, 2007, 06:35:34 pm »
Basic idea is this: while proning in the air, you can use the left and right buttons to control the angle of the jet. So, instead of always being dragged down while prone jetting, you'll have some  more options. Holding the button in the direction you are facing angles you downward (as it currently does). Hold the opposite direction, and you'll jet upward at an angle. Don't hold anything, and you'll fly horizontally, though not perfectly so.

Currently, gravity pulls you down when proning while jetting with no other variations. This is a minor change which shouldn't be difficult to implement nor would impact the game the way it currently is other than allowing more options when flying. This would allow for more evasive maneuvers without really adding a whole new move.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
Re: Add flight controls when jetting while prone.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 08:12:39 pm »
Hmm, it'd be difficult to pull off. You would have to get into the air, prone, angle and jet without hitting the ground again. Most maps have low enough jet that you wouldn't be able to go very far after doing it anyway.

That being said, I think its a great idea. More options to use while moving is good. The fact that it isn't too easy to do will just mean that it wont ruin the game by adding something too out of whack.

Support.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 09:49:41 pm »
I don't think it's worth the coding time and that executing a Superman is a skill which this idea would at least partially destroy. Just my opinion, tho'

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:36:08 pm »
Baha yes. What's that map that it goes around in a spiral? It would be perfect for it :)

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline Protoman

• Soldier
  • ~whistle~
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 12:06:01 am »
Perhaps the Jet Shoes could be powered up.

You get a Powerup: "Jetpack Mode"
You go prone, and you can use left and right to rotate yourself while using Right click to accelerate.

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 12:41:52 am »
Protoman, we don't need more bonuses. Every time you post, you suggest another bonus.

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 12:53:09 am »
I'm not him, but I'm thinking Proto wants an awards system like in Battlefront 2. Am I right ?

For those who don't know what the awards system is; it awards players for outstanding achievement like slaughtering sixty enemies in one round or hacking multiple vehicles in one life. In this case you'd survive long enough and get the super shoes.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 12:59:42 am »
I don't think it's worth the coding time and that executing a Superman is a skill which this idea would at least partially destroy. Just my opinion, tho'

I agree with Keron. Adding controls to the flight would take out the skill and prestige that comes with being able to superman properly (which I can't do for my life, but I still agree)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 09:55:21 am »
can't you just wait for crimson glory comes out?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 06:30:29 pm »

It's easy. All this would do would allow the player to press A or D to adjust the flight path while prone and jetting. You're certainly welcomed to not like the idea, but I'm surprised by the comments that Superman-ing is difficult or whose "skill" in doing so would be negated by options available after the player is already prone jetting.

Offline papercut

• Camper
  • Soldat ingame name = 40oz Casualtie
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 06:54:57 pm »
Your not actually 'supposed' to superman anyway. It's a bug more so than a feature. It's probably not a good idea to stress it that much.

Personally I find no use for supermanning anyway. It doesn't provide any more benefit to me than running in the air does.
<The SoldatForums Applauder>
"I use the Spreyr AUG. :)"

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 07:32:27 pm »
Personally I find no use for supermanning anyway. It doesn't provide any more benefit to me than running in the air does.

It's the saw'ers best stance of attack :)

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 08:18:14 pm »

Not saying anything to risk veering this subject off-topic. Just quoting for record's sake. Move along. :)

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 08:33:43 pm »
I'm going to have to side with the 'Noes' on this one, I just can't see much use in putting this in. When you prone you loose practicaly all ability to shoot or change directions; so all this would do is overcomplicate things. One can simply un prone to go higher or release the lets to go lower as is. Now, I'm not saying this is a bad idea but it's an idea that may both confuse and annoy a large group of players.

That is all :)

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 08:52:27 pm »
sounds cool.  i think even simpler than angling would be adding bottom jet.  Choose between jetting upward or sideward.  this gives you a wide range of movement options.  animation could stay the same, or you could add a little jet on his belly.
Without originality society is doomed.
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 01:52:05 am »
That's why I don't like this idea, at all; in all forms of aerial movement you must sacrifice horizontal for a bit of vertical—with this added, everyone will just jet perfectly horizontal (or at least some angle more horizontally accurate than Supermanning or tap-jetting) and reach the other side of a map instantly. Like I posted above it kills the skill needed for efficient movement

Offline valion

• Soldier
  • you may run, you may hide. but still he comes
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 06:38:54 am »
dont know about anyone else. but when i read this suggestion i was reminded of the scene in counter-stick2 where the hackers hack fly. im sorry i get enough of people flying around due to hacks to be all for this. as a small mod where everyone has to fight in the air like this it could be amusing but other then that im sorry i dont think it would work
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 02:59:22 pm »
That's why I don't like this idea, at all; in all forms of aerial movement you must sacrifice horizontal for a bit of vertical—with this added, everyone will just jet perfectly horizontal (or at least some angle more horizontally accurate than Supermanning or tap-jetting) and reach the other side of a map instantly. Like I posted above it kills the skill needed for efficient movement

Don't hold anything, and you'll fly horizontally, though not perfectly so.

Gravity would still impact players. Flying upward or horizontally would have the disadvantage of being slower and traveling a shorter distance than the current downward angle. Thinking you can tap-tap your way to infinite flight is a false criticism, as it would be as impossible to tap-tap fly with the current Superman move. Tapping jet doesn't sustain the speed needed to move while prone. I'm not looking to remove the physics engine from the game as I think you're envisioning. :P

Offline edak

• Flagrunner
  • AussiEdak
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 04:01:34 pm »
I believe this would be a superman-hackers best friend, abolish the ability to prone in air altogether!  Jet in the belly? LOL! 

UPDATED 12-Aug-2010 FIXED LINKS!!!!! - 18 Apr 2007 - NOW WITH FULLLY MODDABLE MAP TEXTURES! Modders, further customise your soldat!

Offline adadqgg

• Soldier
  • Yuri for the win ~desu
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 02:27:03 pm »
Why not make the direction of superman go toward your mouse

Shikabane Hime... Undead girls... Dual-wielding Mac 11s... Epic bayonets... WIN!

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 02:31:27 pm »

Then you wouldn't be able to aim. :P I considered making the suggestion where the initial point the mouse was aimed when hitting jet determined the angle of the flight. I didn't because I think that'd mess up player momentum and movement -- not being able to fire or aim in the direction you want prior to jetting would make you vulnerable, I think too much so.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 05:30:09 pm »
Wow, actually, I'm agreeing with Keron on this. My mind is changed.

And something to shove into the debate: What would this mean for the Saw Warriors? They already have the skill to superman and cut you down, if they could control their angle while doing it then you couldn't stop them. What-da-ya think?
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 05:58:04 pm »
Sorry Domino, but this would take worming to the extreme, and veer Soldat to a more butterfly shooter, which I don't want to think about.

The people using this and then wiggling up and down to dodge barrets/rugers would be nuts, it would give an edge to Autos which can easily adjust.

Then we have to deal with the "HIT" "No I jetted out of the way!" or "I shot you and you keep living you HAX".

As nice as it may seem, it would really complicate the game, and would be too much of a hassle to do for a nice little feature.

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 06:44:10 pm »
People would start to fly like bees, that's just silly. No.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 09:00:44 pm »
That's already possible using a jetpack-mod; give a melee weapon Bulletstyle=3 ;D

Mr. Domino... bold-face added:
... with this added, everyone will just jet perfectly horizontal (or at least some angle more horizontally accurate than Supermanning or tap-jetting)...
When I referred to "tap-jetting" I didn't mean while Supermanning :P You have to know when to stop Supermanning when your gravity-induced acceleration becomes too overwhelming and trade off horizontal speed to regain the lost vertical distance. It's a bit of a feat in accomplishing, heh
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:05:23 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 09:30:19 pm »
what about super sheep style controls (if u kno what that is you are officially cool)
Without originality society is doomed.
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 07:21:57 am »
Although I think "worming" is a vailid tactic, this flight control thing would probably take it too far. 

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline toRch

• Major
  • <3
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 07:33:59 am »
i dont think this is needed, there are already enough movement possibilities.