Author Topic: "Ready to Respawn"  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
"Ready to Respawn"
« on: June 23, 2006, 12:22:58 pm »
My suggestion from the old forums.

Have a "Ready to Respawn" message appear when a player respawns.

• Time until respawn changes into "Ready to Respawn" upon reaching 0.0 seconds instead of respawning player off the spot
  • Player must tap a key (any key, or maybe something specified) to respawn
This would prevent players who are called away to go grab groceries, run to the bathroom real quick, get a drink of water, etc. from giving away free kills
[li]If any key is tapped to respawn, if the player accidentally smacks a key and has to go do an errand while his soldat is still dead, he can just hit the key again to "switch" on the 'RtR' text (so, it acts like a toggle-function for those who don't like it or whoever can stay gaming for a long time)[/li]
[li][edit]Probably something else I forgot (Nah, I'm pretty sure that's it)[/edit][/li][/list]

Counter from various members from the last forum:
• Players would abuse the system and not spawn until there are enemies near, when they respawn with a Knife and kill them easily

My rebuttal:
• Screen blacks out when it says "Ready to Respawn" (except for the text RtR at the top, of course) so you can't cheat from it

Thoughts, anyone?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:55:00 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline ThomasMortfog

• Soldier
  • hi
Re: "Ready to Respawn"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:29:21 pm »
You sir, are a genius.

If he does do this, I'll be much happier. Spawnkilling noobs won't get their kills as easy lol

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 12:31:08 pm »
* Lapis Lazuli votes in favor of this change.
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 12:40:37 pm »
Excellent idea. My parents call me to do mundane tasks all the time and I usually have to exit the server because I'm away for so long, resulting in a kick. This is a great suggestion.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Aquarius

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 01:23:21 pm »
Yeah but there would have to be a maximum time, for exapmle after 30 seconds you are respawned automatically, otherwise there would be to much "Ready to Respawn" AFKers

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 01:40:47 pm »
Yeah but there would have to be a maximum time, for exapmle after 30 seconds you are respawned automatically, otherwise there would be to much "Ready to Respawn" AFKers
Then they would get kicked. :/

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline DeMo

• Soldier
  • Stay Metal! \m/
    • Encoder 2002
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 02:33:59 pm »
I don't like it.. I'm too lazy to press a damn button to respawn everytime I die.
Or at least make this an option you can turn ON/OFF in the dedicated server.

<@Evil-Ville> Expect a picture of Chakra` holding his fleshlight soon!

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 02:52:55 pm »
DeMo.

• ... [a player] can just hit the key again to "switch"... the 'RtR' text (so, it acts like a toggle-function for those who don't like it...)
Dedicated server? This is client-side; each player has his own individual RtR settings.

@Aquarius: yes, the maximum server AFK-time is 5 minutes, so why not make an optional RtR auto-bypass limit 4 min. (or even customized to one second for DeMo and co.) and let it count as an action from the player? :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:55:20 pm by Keron Cyst »

Offline Mr. Jenkins

• Soldier
  • AKA "Oneburt"
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 05:23:14 pm »
Making the screen go blank when you spawn would be bad. It would be really annoying and the enemy would get away with your flag or whatever because your screen went blank.

Therefore, I'm not so sure about this idea. Giving away free kills isn't much of a problem. "Oh no, they get another point!"

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 07:51:24 pm »
well why would you be siting there ready to respawn and not pusshing the respawn "button". it seems like this would be great and a couple of times i have thought this would be a great addition, since sometimes i have to get a can of soda or something.

Offline 2big4u

• Camper
  • In Game: 2big4u - Merry Christmas!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 08:21:18 pm »
yesterday i was away for quite sometime, so this is a topic that interests me...    But some people would really abuse it, as soon as theyr low on life they would press the button and wait till everyones gone, and then get health, wich would lead to 1 player not dying for  a while, so that function i think should be gone.   that way once you come in accidentally youll die once then itl wait fr u to come back..     ANYWAY great idea, this should be added.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 01:20:50 am »
*massive bump*

I would like to know people's opinions of this again. So far the only people who opposed it didn't read the entire threadstarter, which from what I can tell covered all aspects of their complaints.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 03:56:33 am »
*massive bump*

I would like to know people's opinions of this again. So far the only people who opposed it didn't read the entire threadstarter, which from what I can tell covered all aspects of their complaints.
Theres a thread about this in the beta forum, pretty much 9/10 users disagreed with it.
Even Michal disagreed, so its not going to happen.
My intuition tells me that this will slow down the gameplay. This is implemented in all contemporary multiplayer games and I don't really like the idea. Maybe because I'm a Quake player and I don't like unnecesary clicks.

Offline Nruan

• Major(1)
  • Barrett!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 04:00:31 am »
I like the idea, cause you can easily get ****ed when your getting spawn'ed. I wouldn't want to press an extra key to get back into the gaming action thou like on a normal basis cause that would be like hassly.

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 04:47:40 am »
I like the idea, cause you can easily get ****ed when your getting spawn'ed. I wouldn't want to press an extra key to get back into the gaming action thou like on a normal basis cause that would be like hassly.
• Screen blacks out when it says "Ready to Respawn" (except for the text RtR at the top, of course) so you can't cheat from it

So you wouldn't actually be able to prevent spawning really.

Offline cr4sh

• Major
  • rawr
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 05:28:12 am »
Would this idea be avoidable if some like soldat the way it is?  Maybe set this as the default setting so all the nub nubs use it and the people who are a little experienced could alter it.

A server by server basis would be a whole lot more practical.  This way public servers could have the suggested feature (keeping afker's out), but left standard for clan or private servers where (generally) you want to respawn as fast as possible.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 02:20:13 pm »
Quote from: EnEsCe
Theres a thread about this in the beta forum, pretty much 9/10 users disagreed with it.
Even Michal disagreed, so its not going to happen.
But this would be client-side, and players can choose to turn it off in Options or possibly even in a toggle-command in-game, just like the weapon menu. I don't really see how it would slow down gameplay ???

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 02:27:02 pm »
well if it was client side, wouldnt your guy spawn, but YOUR screen be black until you hit a button?(Not saying i disagree with your idea :P)
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline papercut

• Camper
  • Soldat ingame name = 40oz Casualtie
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 03:07:14 pm »
It's okay but I dont think bots know how to press a button to respawn =P

I'd reccomend an option in the ingame menu to "hide player" which kinda cuts him out of the game, so they dont have to be a target when they are AFK. When the player comes back he can go to the ingame menu and pick "show player" and it would respawn him at his spawn point.
<The SoldatForums Applauder>
"I use the Spreyr AUG. :)"

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 04:04:09 pm »
I believe somewhere I have told my idea, but this should considered before overlooking this idea.

Instead of the countdown we have now, you do not spawn until you pick your weapon. By using this system you do not get owned before you get a chance, and also uses the same number of clicks/button presses as we already have, and much like Keron's rebuttal, if you take forever to pick, the screen goes black and all that is there is the weapon menu, and a big red text saying "PICK YOUR WEAPON"
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan