Poll

Luxury Landing

Support
Oppose

Author Topic: Luxury Landing: For health, stealth and more.  (Read 4433 times)

Offline decoy.

• Soldier
  • All in the mind.
    • Paradigis
Luxury Landing: For health, stealth and more.
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:13:09 am »
Note:
I have looked through about four to five pages for suggestions on this idea to not actually come across any. I am not entirely sure how much farther I have to venture back but the restraints of time on my current schedule doesn't make it as possible as I would like to look through all 34 pages at the moment. This is a simple idea that I wish to use for the sake of realism in realistic or r/s mode. And also recognize that I'm writing some of these things in conjunction with what the game offers in it's effect.

[ Rolling / Crouching - Landing - Damage ]

Pros:
    When jumping or falling from a certain height, crouching upon impact would prevent damage on a landing, absorbing some of the force of the fall. It's best used if you plan on remaining stationary for that moment that you land.

Rolling provides the same benefits that allows you to land from a slightly higher distance. Rolling is better for reducing damage in the case that you attempt to make use of it's mobility. It is also better used when one lands on an decline.

Both make better use for stealth in r/s and realistic instead of attempting to slow your descent with jets, which gives warning to where you are positioned upon your approach.
    [/list]

Cons:
      Although this is made useful while landing, dependent on weather it prevents or softens the blow of the landing, a slight delay might be made in movement in regards to running. This is why rolling is encouraged.

While rolling, more than likely you will not be able to shoot until you're in either the upright, crouched or prone position while moving or stationary. So roll on your landing with good judgement of when to roll.

If your descent is increased with the act of an explosive force or bullets then it is not guaranteed that either method will aid you. It is best that you slow yourself with jets before you make an attempt to roll or crouch to soften the blow.

This is set for you to land from certain heights but there is obviously a limitation as to how high you can jump from. Hopefully common sense plays a role in your choice as to how far to jump from, like not from the top of a towering structure in INF mode.
      [/list]

To say, this feature is to be used at the discression of the user. I have placed both the pros and cons that I see from the start of this in order to give a reason for others to think on using it. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight in soldat. It's Garenteed to kill given that you are able to approach them with a certainly needed range of course.

Additional Notes
      This was brought to my attention with experimentation in the game during on line and solo play. Attempting a suicide bombing while increasing descent, I noticed that landing while in prone position lessens the damage dealt. So because of this, I attempted to do the same (not accelerating my descent in the process) to land while rolling to see it have the same effect as me landing on my feet to sprint forward and was discourage to do so purposely once more. I figured that if the weapon like a sniper rifle moves upon landing if you land while upright (causing a slight change in ones aim...if I remember correctly), why not steady your aim once you land and fire then. Still, crouching did not appear to help with my health. So for the sake of realism, I would like to see this implemented. Your suggestions, questions and overall responses would help I believe.
      « Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:01:03 pm by decoy. »
      [FF|LL|HE[Cide/Decoy/Not Batman!:
      [[ 300.91m | sniping distance
      [[ 85:0 | kill:death ratio
      [[ us.socom | favorite weapon

Offline Cube

• Camper
      • Go Cube go!
        • Cube's Portal
      Re: Luxury Landing
      « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:26:36 am »
      You can use the "Search" function of this forum if you don't have enough time to go through all of the 34 sites.

PROS.

1. I think the damage should be only decreased when ROLLING after falling.

2. If you roll and get shot, you should still get the same damage, if you mean that.

3. Indeed.

CONS:

1. Good idea, but only for R/S, because non-R/S want a fast game and fast speed which is not decreased by getting up.

2. It's right, if you roll, you should be able to shoot.

3. Making an attemp to what?

Additional idea: I think your grenades should explode (the grenades carried by you) if there is an explosion next to you)

enough comments?
      Hmm, any idea what to write here?

Offline decoy.

• Soldier
      • All in the mind.
        • Paradigis
      « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:30:50 am »
      Thank you for catching me on that. My attention is parted because I have to listen to a state of the union program and take notes while it's playing on the radio so I could have been rushing. As for attempting to do what, I was regarding the attempt to roll or crouch to support your fall. I'll clear that up now. Thank you Cube.

And those comments help.

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
      « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:54:43 am »
      It's a pretty good idea, would save R/S players alot of grief when they think they are landing slow enough, because they'd just have to roll.

Thumbs up.  ;D

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
      • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
      « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 05:26:27 pm »
      I support this, I roll when I hit the ground anyway.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
      « Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 06:55:42 pm »
      You mean roll to reduce fall damage? You use the Search to check, I think there was something like this, but I still think we totally need it.

It's a shame you could have saved yourself some time if you looked for the search; like they say, "work smart, not hard"

*support*

Link fixed.
      « Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:33:40 pm by Keron Cyst »
      If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
      • Veteran
      • mad
        • random stuffs
      « Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 07:04:05 pm »
      Looks too complicated to be worth adding to a simple game like Soldat. I doubt my opinion is valueless thought, I hardly play realistic-mode.

Offline Snipufin

• Camper
      « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:09:25 pm »
      I support that, because that makes it more realistic, and I do that too often when I play realistic(and I know that it isn't on :P)
      Name:     Snipufin
      Position:    Soldier

Offline decoy.

• Soldier
      • All in the mind.
        • Paradigis
      « Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:28:37 pm »
      You mean roll to reduce fall damage? You use the Search to check, I think there was something like this, but I still think we totally need it.

It's a shame you could have saved yourself some time if you looked for the search; like they say, "work smart, not hard"

*support*

Link fixed.
      Thank youfor the link. It would be best to remember this.

I make it a habbit when I land in realistic mode as well. It slows me when I have to make an alternative decision (and can't quite be like stunt men to jump from a height and just role to reduce the damage done to legs.)

This is a first in a few times I've said that but that would be pretty kick ass if they added the feature.

Date Posted: January 25, 2007, 03:19:07 PM
      Looks too complicated to be worth adding to a simple game like Soldat. I doubt my opinion is valueless thought, I hardly play realistic-mode.
      Actually your opinion does have value. This gives me an idea or some kind of prediction as to what type of players would support this. Of course this is geared to those who often play with realism in the game. And you yourself said that you hardly play realistic mode so others who barely bother to venture this way may feel the same with the likelyhood of contributing to the idea of it's opposition.

But if you don't mind me asking, what appears to complicate the idea to you?

Date Posted: January 25, 2007, 03:24:29 PM
      Funny, I just looked next to the rules button to see the "Search" option.  :-\  [retard] I feel kind of slow to that one. :P