Author Topic: Oldat  (Read 8210 times)

Offline PapaSurf

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
Oldat
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:31:21 pm »

MASSIVE CREDS TO MZ.  Most of these are at least extremely similar to his guns.  The main point is to show off the m4 and 1911, but if you want the others, they weill be available for DL.

I can't make an original LAW w/o copying MZ's completely  :-[
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:18:31 am by PapaSurf »
Check out my new shamelessly self promoted mod HERE

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
Re: Oldat
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:17:43 pm »
Oh, oh, the results are coming in ....

Don't copy Soldat Evolved. Either this is a slight tweak of it, or an impossibly talented pixel-er who is so amazing they copied someone else's style exactly and completely by accident.

Of course if it's the later, I congratulate you full heartedly. So you deserve a :D

If you copied, you deserve a :'(

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline Vltava

• Camper
  • Mr Avocado
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:21:55 pm »
He didn't copy Soldat Evolved, even though they do indeed look similar. PapaSurf's style is noticeably different from MZ's. I believe he did, however, use elements from his own Neo-Soldat, eh, eh?

Edit – Anna's post shows quite a contrary to mine, but I have reason to believe PapaSurf didn't steal; but I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:38:41 pm by Vltava »

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:28:13 pm »
I can't make an original LAW  :-[

Can you make an original anything?

At least give him some credit, eh?

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:39:26 pm »

Anna needs to be paid for being so awesome.

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:41:23 pm »
Funny cause I like papasmurfs better.
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 10:44:14 pm »
It doesn't matter which are better. What matters is that he's trying to pass them off as original when they're clearly just edited versions of MZ's original models.

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:48:16 pm »

I'm sorry, didn't I just sa ... oh never mind. The differences between the two sets are great enough to rule out a straight cut 'n paste, so I think that smufies out of the red. But he/she (didn't check) should at least recognize that the guns are way too similar to even deny inspiration from the originals.

But for the record, I'm siding with Anna. But I said it first. So I'm siding with me.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:55:37 pm »
Blasphamamamy.

Offline Red Neck

• Soldier
  • in game: >RE< Monomaniac .:|FA|:.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:02:13 pm »
they are similar but i dont think papasmurf copied and pasted it but maybe had inspiration from it (im gonna side with wraithlike we all know hes right)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:07:01 pm by Red Neck »

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 11:03:28 pm »
Wow, way to generalize, the only similarity is the weapon choice, and the light source being in the top center of the gun. It's also quite obvious that they used completely different palettes, and personally I think Papasurf's are more detailed and a little nicer looking. Not that I don't love Michal's weapons.

But really, you're just saying it because of the light source. It is slightly unique to Michal's work, and makes it look like Papasurf copied his work, when instead he just made a beautiful set of remakes of the original soldat weapons.

And Jesus people, they're similar because they're based off the same guns! They're supposed to be similar.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:05:18 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:10:21 pm »
And Jesus people, they're similar because they're based off the same guns! They're supposed to be similar.

So that's an excuse for the fact that a lot of them are the exact same shape?

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 11:12:33 pm »
A change of palette and some displaced pixels here and there do not count as original work. I think it's pretty clear that PapaSurf simply drew over MZ's weapons. They share too many of the same pixels that MZ so carefully placed, and it's unlikely that the proportions of the weapons are so similar by accident. It's especially noticeable on the AK. Even the background colour has the same brightness and saturation with just a shift in the hue.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:15:44 pm by Anna »

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 11:19:01 pm »
Not totaly relevent, but did you realize that the moderators and beta testers are siding on Smurf's side ? Not saying that there are sides or anything, ...

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 11:42:50 pm »
Ok, I do agree that that AK is a bit suspect, but it's also very similar to the one from papasurf's neo-arsenal, which he never really released. Along with the M-16(?) the Spas, and the deagles. I'm going to wait for MZ/Papasurf to come defend their weapons before I make a descision.

Edit: He's also used that same background color in his neo arsenal weapons.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:44:29 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline Spyder

• Soldier
  • Member Since 19 Oct 2002
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 12:01:17 am »
PS31 would never copy anyone else's mod, he is talented enough to make his own easily.
And it's bound to have similar pixel placement, i mean it's the same gun and there are not many ways to make a weapon when it's like 10px by 4px.

I fully respect both MZ and Papasurf as a modder, but you guys shouldn't accuse him of being a ripper since he is a well-known modder in our community.

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 12:01:57 am »
This isn't the first time PapaSurf has ripped off MZ's weapons, he just didn't cover it up as much with this set.

Offline Spyder

• Soldier
  • Member Since 19 Oct 2002
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 12:19:32 am »
This isn't the first time PapaSurf has ripped off MZ's weapons, he just didn't cover it up as much with this set.
link or it never happened.

Offline ultraman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 03:09:37 am »
I smited you for that PapaSurf, the AK and the Barret are even the same shape as MZ's!
>:(

Offline Lunerfox

• Major
  • Lol in the Box.
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 03:49:55 am »
It's pretty apparent that Papasmurf actually did some work on the guns, whether they're drawn on versions of MZ's. At least give him that credit of improving on the original, or if you believe this as 100% his own work, then his skills as a pixel artist.
-[ILOA]-
---
Project Survival: An independent game development project.
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=23390.0