Author Topic: Oldat  (Read 8227 times)

Offline Anna

• Soldier
    • my dev blog
Re: Oldat
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 09:07:36 pm »
If you want, I could post the palette I used for making this.  It's fully my own.  Not a single color is yours.

Photoshop has a lot of handy features for tweaking the hue/saturation/brightness of an image or replacing the colours in an image with your own.

As for scale, you can see that many of my weapons follow the same scale you use, purely out of coincidence.

Have you ever seen any other two mods that look so similar? Coincidence, my ass.

In response to Anna, I don't try to steal MZ's work.  The fist thing was my mistake.  I was rushing to get that mod out and just took a shortcut, hoping no one would notice.  There's a probably a lot of shortcuts in those earlier mods, but in no way would I call it plagiarism.

Do I have to bring out the fist again?

Even now, not that I'm trying to cover my ass here, but forgetting to mention MZ was an honest mistake.  If you don't believe me fine, but I think from the time you've known me that I don't support stealing other people's work.

So you were doing an edit of MZ's weapons, but when you posted them you forgot to mention that it was an edit of MZ's weapons.

I think the pixels speak for themselves. Note the areas where the relative values of the pixels were left intact:

[1] [2] [3] [4]

edit: here you can see all the pixels that are common between the two sets of weapons:

There are actually two colours; black and a shade of grey. I don't think there is anything more I can say.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:40:08 pm by Anna »

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Lifeâ„¢
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 11:12:07 pm »
Jeeze, I think that this has gone a little overboard now. I mean, even MZ has completely forgiven the guy, and even if plagarism is a terrible thing which is not under debate here, I think we've berated him enough to have learned his lesson. Needless to say,  the next time a 'slip-up' like this happens the rest of the mods and VIPs will come down on him like a flying brick.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline PapaSurf

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2007, 07:21:01 am »
Photoshop has a lot of handy features for tweaking the hue/saturation/brightness of an image or replacing the colours in an image with your own.

I didn't photshop his guns.  I use GraphicsGale and manually placed every single color there.  Of course, I can't prove it, but then again.  Neither can you.

Have you ever seen any other two mods that look so similar? Coincidence, my ass.

Both me and Michal are refering to the size and shape of the weapons.  I'm saying that many of my guns, ones that Michal has never made before, would fit into his scale.  Admittedly, these are extremely similar, but it's simply that we agree about the size and proportions of certain guns.  I admit, the ak and barret are heavily taken from his ideas, as mine were originally much bigger and IMO awkward looking.

Do I have to bring out the fist again?

And do I have to apologize again?  I've already admitted to that and I regret doing it.  It was a mistake, and I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find a bunch more "mistakes" in the past.

So you were doing an edit of MZ's weapons, but when you posted them you forgot to mention that it was an edit of MZ's weapons.

Not exactly.  I intended this to be a seperate mod not related to Soldat-Evolved.  This isn't an addon pack/ expansions set or whatever.  I had intended to credit Michal for inspiration and for providing some key ideas, such as you might say: a shading style and scale of the weapons.

can't see pics right now, edit when I can.
Check out my new shamelessly self promoted mod HERE

Offline cooz

• Soldier
  • BANNED
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2007, 08:10:40 am »
hmm, i think this discussion won't get us anywhere,
it looks a little like Anna overreacted as even her brother isn't so offended

as this topic will probably bring only more offtipic flames, could i ask moderator (woops PapaSurf ;) to close it...
Dead man! Dead man walking! We got a dead man walking here! Banned man crawling more like

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2007, 08:52:08 am »
I'm inclined to agree; this discussion has deviated from the topic and unless another moderator can be convinced otherwise, or there is some other reason for unlocking this topic, it will now be locked to avoid a larger flamewar.

Moral of the story: If you base your weapons on someone elses existing weapons, no matter how many changes you make, make sure you don't forget to credit them and plainly mark your work as being a derivative work; most authors don't mind you doing this as long as you give them credit, and make significant enough changes that there is a noticeable difference between them. Even if you don't directly copy someones whole work but use individual elements of it, it's still the original authors work and they deserve credit.

Better yet, ask for permission beforehand so all the drama can be avoided; guaranteed, someone is going to notice that your work matches someone elses a little too closely for coincidence.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 08:56:37 am by chrisgbk »