Author Topic: crouch advantage:  (Read 14300 times)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
crouch advantage:
« on: January 28, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »
The idea is mainly for crouch, which only snipers ever do, I think this idea would be plausible for prone, but prone is already used quite enough.

To promote crouching and staying low, the idea is that you reload 1.5 times faster crouched then standing up, I don't think it would be entirely realistic, but hey, they can use both hands and rest the gun on their lap to make them reload faster OK?

crouching is not often done in soldat, you spend most of your time in the air, and when you are on the ground, you are most likely getting killed. Crouching isn't usually a good idea, because grenades do a fair bit more damage to you when you are crouched, it does have the feature of less bink, but still, only snipers do that to ensure a strait shot.

If this was implemented it would add a bit of strategy, on top of a hill you could camp a bit to reload your barrett safely and quickly. I actually got this idea when we where deadlocked, 0-0 both flags where gone and i had AK and a law, i used the law at least 6 times to kill invaders, and i thought, jee, wouldn't it be cool if you could crouch to make the reloading quicker? that would add a fair bit of strategy to the game!

now that i said all that, you probably have questions:

"won't that suxx up teh balance???"
I doubt it, each gun would have the same ability to reload quicker, unless this was made into a weapon configuration setting to be used to help the balance

"configuration wtf??"
Well, you see, if this idea was implemented, it could be put in in many different ways, for example, with the weapons.ini, if this idea was a setting in that file, then people could play around with the idea of which weapons get this and which ones don't, otherwise, it would just be a part of the game like health, something you can't edit.

"But i hate the (insert gun here) and i don't think it should get this kind of thing, but i use (insert another gun here) so i want it for that gun!"
You should still support the idea, but specifically you want the weapon.ini to have this option, that way the beta testers can say "jee, the mp5 already has a quick reload time, we should disable the crouch reload."

"vehiklz?"
No.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 05:10:36 pm by a-4-year-old »
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline 1010011010

• Soldier
Re: crouch advantage:
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 02:35:53 pm »
No. If anything, crouching should decrease self bink.

Does it? I dunno.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 03:03:57 pm »
[offtopic] Pretty sure it does, though not as much as prone. [/offtopic]

I think it'd be an okay idea, though maybe the change shouldn't be so drastic as 1.5 times faster. 1.2-3 would be good, though.

Plus, unlike most suggestions, it's completely balanced. Which is good.

I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 05:10:10 pm »
No. If anything, crouching should decrease self bink.

Does it? I dunno.
Yeah it does, and yeah that is what i said, and yeah it isn't what the topic is about, but ill restate it so nobody gets confused.

I made up 1.5 because i like nice and easy calculations, and should it be implemented as part of the Weapons.ini, you could probably have 2 parts to it:
crouchreload:(1 being yes, 0 being no)
crouchbonus:1.5 (change the numbers however you want)

Also as an added bonus, with the weapons.ini set up like that, you could make the mp5's 1.1 and the law's 1.5 if you wanted to tweak it in your own special balance.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 05:21:07 pm »
I would support this only for the law :P
Soldat Lobby Avec Players -New Release! - Updated AGAIN!

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 05:25:03 pm »
ye with some guys it would be too overpowered, and if all the guns were to have different values, then the weapon balance would be even harder to try and make
but if it were just the law then it's ok because it would make it a little more worthwhile
imagine this with the hkmp5, then you just crouch for like a split second and it's reloaded lol

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:28:10 pm »
There are already enough advantages to crouching : it's the only way to shoot over a colider, if there's a hill it's quicker than proning and if some crazy psycho maniac with a spas comes up behind you when you're proned you can't get up fast enough to fire back. Trust me on that last one, it's a succesful strategy I use all the time.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 05:44:26 pm »
Most people don't actually use the colliders, they don't actually ever stay on the ground very long, you almost always try to get the hight advantage on your opponent, this would Level the playing field (pun intended), also, most colliders are small enough to just stand over, and by crouching you still hurt your movement, try crouching near an m79er, you won't last long, but if you crouch and reload your m79 quicker then them, then the idea still stands.

ye with some guys it would be too overpowered, and if all the guns were to have different values, then the weapon balance would be even harder to try and make
but if it were just the law then it's ok because it would make it a little more worthwhile
imagine this with the hkmp5, then you just crouch for like a split second and it's reloaded lol
The very best part about this would be that you don't have to use different values, and if need be, you could just turn off some weapon's ability to do it, This is mainly an idea for the law, barret, m79, ruger, minimi... anything that has a longer reload time that would have a significant impact, since the mp5 already has a short reload, making it 50% quicker would only shave off a few ticks, while it would save seconds for the law. You can be assured that the mp5 will not be instantly reloaded if this idea is implemented, in fact, that weapon would have the least to gain from crouching to reload, while the idea speeds up reloading, you are slowed down by crouching. Think about that one!

I firmly believe that this is one of the few ideas that add an element to the game that makes it fun and challenging in a new way. From what i know about soldat, I doubt this would be a very huge undertaking.

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 05:53:10 pm »
actually people don't use colliders because of nades and stuff, who needs height advantage when you can shoot them without them being able to shoot you

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 05:53:54 pm »
I actually like this idea. I allready crouch while reloading just out of reflex, so this would definitely be for the better :)

I approve.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 06:01:30 pm »
actually people don't use colliders because of nades and stuff, who needs height advantage when you can shoot them without them being able to shoot you
that makes no sense. huge contradiction buddy...

Offline Lunerfox

• Major
  • Lol in the Box.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 06:14:46 pm »
It sounds good on paper, but what happens when you crouch at the start of the reload but have to stand up midway? It doesn't seem to me that although it can be said that it is balanced in theory, it might not be so when it is actually implemented.
-[ILOA]-
---
Project Survival: An independent game development project.
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=23390.0

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 06:15:41 pm »
It sounds good on paper, but what happens when you crouch at the start of the reload but have to stand up midway? It doesn't seem to me that although it can be said that it is balanced in theory, it might not be so when it is actually implemented.
you get the bonus for the amount of time you are crouched.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 07:15:40 pm »
Great idea! :) Full support (only except for MP5 users, heh... those things are already nasty as it is)

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 07:29:46 pm »
Full support!

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 07:52:48 pm »
Brilliant!

This is the best idea i've heard in a while.  though i would disagree with u saying that crouch is under-used, this is a great idea for crouched and prone.  reloading faster while you are vulnerable increases the distinction between in-battle reloading and out-of-battle reloading.  the latter should be faster.
Without originality society is doomed.
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline BooBoo McBad

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 07:55:58 pm »
I like the idea of trying to make crouching more effective. I hate in R/S how you try to crouch and sneak around but it leaves you more succeptible(sp) to getting shot, which I think is dumb. I've always thought it should make you jump higher/quicker.

Offline Cube

• Camper
  • Go Cube go!
    • Cube's Portal
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 09:03:25 am »
fuck i love this idea, hope that 1,5 is not to much :P and maybe only for certain weaps, or maybe for certain weps more then for others. nice job, a-4-year-old
Hmm, any idea what to write here?

Offline Fishyyy

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 06:24:42 pm »
lol imagine camping with m79 with 2 second reload o.o
One Fish, Two Fish...

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »
^^camping with an short range weapon?... does that work for u?
Without originality society is doomed.
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///