Author Topic: (edited) Soldat remembers server have entered somebody.  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Tallacaps

• Soldier
    • History surprises
(edited) Soldat remembers server have entered somebody.
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:24:04 am »
Sometimes in your favorite server have 0 players.
And when server has 0 players nobody enters.

I would like that if I enter in a server and I am alone, I can browse with opera waiting until soldat remembers me with a sound or a text in screen that somebody have entered in server and now I'm not alone in that server. And then I can begin to play.

I hope all you understand this english.  >:(

-------------------------- Edit

from J-Factor

"Remove the "no activity for a period of time" auto-disconnection when you are the only person in the server. Add a sound for when someone joins the server.

Now simply join, alt-tab to Opera or whatever program you want and wait. When you hear the sound of someone joining - alt-tab back. This would be a lot easier than trying to implement a clunky in-game web browser."
-------------------------------------

That was I was trying to tell. But nobody have understood my crappy english!

I never wrote a in-game browser!

:)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:27:56 am by Tallacaps »

Offline RabidTreeFrog

• Camper
Re: Soldat remembers server have entered somebody.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:38:33 am »
i get it, and i like the idea.
*support.
not around

Offline Fitzpatrick

• Major
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 06:22:57 pm »
I understand what you are saying, but my only problem with it is the waiting portion.
If you wanted to play on a server, you would join one with people already in it.
You would not join a server and wait for people to join.
That is just my opinion...

//Fitzpatrick
Fitzpatrick

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 06:25:09 pm »
I understand what you are saying, but my only problem with it is the waiting portion.
If you wanted to play on a server, you would join one with people already in it.
You would not join a server and wait for people to join.
That is just my opinion...

//Fitzpatrick
If that was true, empty servers would forever remain empty until the admin happened along.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 06:40:17 pm »
I like the idea of having something to pass the time (such as in-game web browsing or a chat lobby), but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 06:46:15 pm »
Yeah, a chat lobby would be awesome. I would also be able to get people into games some-what faster.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline J-Factor

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 12:13:23 am »
Remove the "no activity for a period of time" auto-disconnection when you are the only person in the server. Add a sound for when someone joins the server.

Now simply join, alt-tab to Opera or whatever program you want and wait. When you hear the sound of someone joining - alt-tab back. This would be a lot easier than trying to implement a clunky in-game web browser.

Offline boer

• Major
Re: (edited) Soldat remembers server have entered somebody.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 08:18:07 am »
^^ agreed.
If you are on a map small enough so that you would hear if someone spawns nearby, then it is already in the game. Enter server, alt-tab, hear someone spawn, alt-tab and play.

Offline truup

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 12:15:58 pm »
You can also join as spectator, so you won't get _no activity for a period of time_'d. This idea could work, if it would be modified a bit.

I like the idea of having something to pass the time (such as in-game web browsing or a chat lobby), but I doubt that'll ever happen.
Yeah, a chat lobby would be awesome. I would also be able to get people into games some-what faster.

I think this was suggested before, and the answer is: use IRC.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 06:03:42 am »
By saying "use IRC", means that "Go to #Soldat.Gather and talk with SoldatGather." and like 30% of Soldat players really use IRC. and 10% of them are on Soldat-releated channels. So, if there was an actual chat on lobby, Soldaters could chat with others, with those who they do not know.

Would be nice to see integrated IRC-client in Soldat client. Basically, it would connect to some IRC-server, and just work as a normal IRC-client, you could join channels, PM people and such.
The pretty same as using a real IRC-client. How do the people from publics get to know about IRC or IRC-community if not trough a IRC-client? By waiting that someone tells them to?
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 06:27:10 am »
How about a script, that after 1 minute if nobody or only one person is in the server changes the map to a climbmap and if someone joins changes it back? :D
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host