Author Topic: Setting Dir in Polyworks Ini to fix "bad file or number" problem  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Snow

• Camper
Setting Dir in Polyworks Ini to fix "bad file or number" problem
« on: February 02, 2007, 07:34:30 pm »
I thought I'd make a seperate topic on this since there are a few peeps that are having this prob: "bad file or number" on starting Polyworks.

I had this problem with my Win2k machine and machines at school running XP. This isĀ  simply what I did to fix the problem.

Also it would be nice if OTHER loading problems are posted in this topic too so that whoever knows a fix can post it.

So the way I fixed my problem was simple after I figured it out from strange quirks of the ini file.

First unzip Polyworks.zip file straight into the Soldat directory, don't unzip in another directory or other drive first. On my computer it seemed to do something with the ini and I wasn't even able to edit it. (Well edit yes, but not save the edited ini, my computer wouldn't allow me to save as an ini file) Strange.

Now that you've unzipped the folder into the Soldat folder, open the ini and ONLY CHANGE THE DRIVE LETTER of the directory NOT the whole line. The dir line in the ini reads "D:\\Games\Soldat-beta" (on every machine I opened it). If you type in "c:\soldat", which your directory actually may be, you may still get the same error. So simply replace "D" or whatever letter the ini shows after you installed polyworks to the actual letter of your Harddrive and that should be that.

Good luck. I do NOT know if this solves any other starting probs such as missing ".ocx" files on startup.

--Snow
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:41:48 pm by Snow »
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet