Bullet Deceleration?

Yea
10 (62.5%)
Nay
4 (25%)
Indiferent
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Bullet deceleration  (Read 4341 times)

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
Bullet deceleration
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:46:24 am »
I just had a brillient idea, and I'll try to put it in words.
Bullets move fast. However, they decelerate, causing them to drag.

My suggestion: Make a WM option: Bullet deceleration.
This option would allow bullets of the same speed go different distances based on it.
For instance:
The ruger has a slower bullet than the barrett. This should be; however, you could make them go the same speed, but give the barrett a slower deceleration.

This would also, indirectly affect futuristic mods, as negative decelerations would lead to-

Acceleration.

What do you think?

*Poll Added*
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 04:51:55 pm by mxyzptlk »

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
Re: Bullet deceleration
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:57:41 am »
The bullet deceleration is solely based on Soldat's physics, I think.
You couldn't make a WM to edit the physics, could you? (by "you" meaning MM of course)

Oh and you're talking about the bullet arc, yes?
*imagines bullets that fly up*
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:59:25 am by MofoNofo »

Offline Tybs

• Major
  • Slide away!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:11:48 am »
Nice idea, but i would simply call it "bullet acceleration" then, and use negative values for the deceleration. Simply because "acceleration" sounds much better than "deceleration" :)

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 06:27:30 pm »
Nice idea, but i would simply call it "bullet acceleration" then, and use negative values for the deceleration. Simply because "acceleration" sounds much better than "deceleration" :)
yes.  plus acceleration would be a pretty cool option.  funky "arcs"
Without originality society is doomed.
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:29:27 pm »
no, I dont think this is necessary, I mean it would be cool and all for future mods but do they really need it? for the sake of simplicity no.

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:43:08 pm »
Call it Air Resistance instead, and I'll go for it.

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 08:43:23 pm »

yeah, but sometimes its water resistance, in those underwater levels.  i don't care what you call it, it sounds cool.  If you had bullets that actually accelerated, you could have guns that kill better at long ranges than they do at short..
If you are tired of seeing the same lines in every signature, don't put this in your signature

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 10:18:06 pm »

yeah, but sometimes its water resistance, in those underwater levels. i don't care what you call it, it sounds cool. If you had bullets that actually accelerated, you could have guns that kill better at long ranges than they do at short..
That is why I said it would be good for futuristic mods. Oni's Plasma Rifle, anyone?

Also, It doesn't really matter what you call it. How about "Accel Rate"?

For people who don't understand it, the bullet speed would be the starting speed, while the "Accel Rate" would be the speed it accelerates... Or what normal bullets do, decelerate.

So let's say you have a gun with a bullet speed of 500. That is powerful. VERY. Without Accel Rate, it would just speed ahead, and arc only because of gravity (and the slight hard-coded deceleration).
Now, if you give it an Accel Rate of... Let's say -60. Here it would lose 60 points of speed in a second. If you gave it an Accel Rate of 60, it would GAIN 60 points of speed a second.

The math and rates are just made up, but this was to show a point.

Offline Fitzpatrick

• Major
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 05:27:34 pm »
This is a very interesting idea.
Something like this would have never crossed my mind.
I'm not sure if I love it, or hate it.
I'm still trying to grasp the concept of bullets speeding up over time. =P
Congrats on the great idea!
Fitzpatrick

Offline popsofctown

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »
i cant grasp it either, itd be awesome tho.

Accelerating bullets r just a spin-off idea of the OP, which has orthodox purposes

\\\**I love DM**///

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 06:53:01 pm »
This could be used for missiles. *duh* You know , you shoot the damn thing and it starts to accelerate .  There should be a
Max Speed=#   
option as well, to simulate missiles anad such.I think that soldat is one of the most played freeware games just because it's so moddable and more options would just atract more players and modders and such.

Offline Fitzpatrick

• Major
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 07:01:39 am »
Thanks Will! (applauded)
I never thought about it like that.
That is a very interesting idea!
Fitzpatrick

Offline Lunerfox

• Major
  • Lol in the Box.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 08:34:51 pm »
I say that this is a rather cool idea, imagine bullets that stay in place for a second and then flies off (of course, the acceleration would then have to be a function, which would be VERY interesting)
-[ILOA]-
---
Project Survival: An independent game development project.
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=23390.0

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 09:34:49 pm »
/uber super gunzor!
[barret]
damage 9999
speed 10
acceleration 0

a bullet that goes perfectly straight, but is about as fast as the speed of smell.\

Edit: I say nay, because it would seem that this would not be very useful to apply to the game itself, but only for the modding community, I would support it if:
1. It was clear that this was totally possible to implement into the game without redoing a whole lot
2. every variable about weapons in the game already was on the weapon mod, like, crouch to shoot 0 and so on...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 09:36:45 pm by a-4-year-old »
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 07:11:29 pm »
/uber super gunzor!
[barret]
damage 9999
speed 10
acceleration 0

a bullet that goes perfectly straight, but is about as fast as the speed of smell.\

Edit: I say nay, because it would seem that this would not be very useful to apply to the game itself, but only for the modding community, I would support it if:
1. It was clear that this was totally possible to implement into the game without redoing a whole lot
2. every variable about weapons in the game already was on the weapon mod, like, crouch to shoot 0 and so on...

I don't see why it would go perfectly straight.
Acceleration wouldn't affect the arc that much.
The way I see it, it would only need to go in a straight line if it was positive.

I do see your point about relevance, though. It would be extrememly difficult to implement in the game currently.

Offline DeMo

• Soldier
  • Stay Metal! \m/
    • Encoder 2002
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 03:30:01 am »
Physically speaking, the deceleration (or the arc) of an object is influenced by:

gravity: which pulls the object down
air resistance: which slows down the object
mass: affects how distant the object will fly
Other things like initial speed and the angle of fire are also important.
The area of the object is also a factor.. but it's irrelevant here.

Now, gravity and air resistance are already part of the Soldat engine and we can't tweak these values. I guess the angle of fire is already calculated by Soldat too.

The bullet speed is already moddable. The area of the bullet is irrelevant as I said, firt because all the bullets look the same, and second because Soldat probably already ignores that. So in my opinion.. the best thing to mod the distance a bullet can travel would be to add a mass (weight) option in weapons.ini. Changing the mass you can have bullets that are fired with the same initial speed but travel different distances.

The only problem of this model is that you can't do things (bullets) go faster.. they will always loose speed because that is controlled by gravity and air resistance. The only way to make things go faster is tweaking the game physics. Adding an acceleration option to weapons.ini might work... but since the engine is build to mimic real world physics.. I think it would have some trouble trying to accelerate things instead of decelerating them. :P

Tell me what you think!

<@Evil-Ville> Expect a picture of Chakra` holding his fleshlight soon!