Author Topic: Disconnecting.. but not.  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
Disconnecting.. but not.
« on: June 24, 2006, 04:54:30 pm »
Over the last few months ive been having this problem where.. randomly in a match, people will say Im disconnecting when I play just fine, and then all of a sudden I warp back to my original spot. Ive tried playing soldat without a router, and with it, right now I have my router ON. But when I turned it OFF there was no difference. I callec comcast and they pinged my computer and said my connection was running fine. This only occurs on soldat, and sometimes ventrilo cuts out for 10-20 seconds too and I hear what my colleges said in the past...

Any way to determine what the problem is or if its soldat itself?
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: Disconnecting.. but not.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 09:29:37 pm »
you mean collegues, right?  anyway, lemme give you the default windows troubleshoot answer:  "Close all other programs and try again.  If problem persists, contact system administrator."
:P
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Cookie.

• Soldier
  • I. R. Baboon
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 03:49:02 am »
I see this happen quite often.  Don't worry its probably not you but them or the server.  If they complain about it tell them to rejoin and it should be fine.

When I see it happening usually a person keeps disconnecting and rejoining the game but they are still running around and able to cap and kill...

I had one time happen where it said I was disconnecting and rejoining but I wasn't really.  Just rejoin the game typically to fix it... thats all I know

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 04:56:35 pm »
Mancer, I just had a similar problem like this at home. 

Oddly enough, it was caused by my cable splitter.  If you have a new/different splitter you can try (to split the cable line coming into your house) instead of the one you're using now, this is a troubleshooting step you should take.

Do you have other computers in the house, and have they had any odd internet problems?

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 05:16:57 pm »
Do you have other computers in the house, and have they had any odd internet problems?

There are 3 other computers hooked up to this one (mum works at home) and Ive already tried having the connection taken off the other 3 and have the connection just focused on this one, but nothing happened, I still 'partially disconnected' in a match. Also, there is no "Mancer disconnected" spamming crap when people say I d/c. I just look like Im walking straight and then warp back to normal position.

Offline swebonny

• Camper
  • BUahh...
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 10:47:44 pm »
Omg this happens to me 2! And its kinda disturbing...

but its fun to see other person have it...

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 04:22:54 pm »
Omg this happens to me 2! And its kinda disturbing...

but its fun to see other person have it...

Guess Im not the only one

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 07:19:55 pm »
lol don worry happened to me too!  I hate it when it happens to the other person cuz then it's kinda hard to kill him if he keeps spawning and disappearing.  But when it happens to me, i keep respawning at the spawnpoint and can't move and have to leave and rejoin...  it is annoying!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 07:49:28 pm »
Over the last few months ive been having this problem where.. randomly in a match, people will say Im disconnecting when I play just fine, and then all of a sudden I warp back to my original spot. Ive tried playing soldat without a router, and with it, right now I have my router ON. But when I turned it OFF there was no difference. I callec comcast and they pinged my computer and said my connection was running fine. This only occurs on soldat, and sometimes ventrilo cuts out for 10-20 seconds too and I hear what my colleges said in the past...

Any way to determine what the problem is or if its soldat itself?

Does this actually affect your play, or only other people who see you? If it only affects other people, that's more than likely packets being dropped, causing everyone else to extrapolate your position based on your last movements. That isn't a big deal, it's the internet, tell them to deal with it.

If it's actually affecting your own game play, then it might be a more serious issue. I'd recommend looking into updated drivers/firmware for any of your network hardware, ie: Ethernet card, router, etc. Also, check any and all cables to ensure you have no damaged cables. A partially broken wire can cause all sorts of havoc, while appearing to work most of the time.

I also had a problem like this, that is related to what FLAB said: I had many cable splitters in my house, for TV's and such, and as a result, the line going to my cable modem had a poor/weak signal. Cable company installed a powered signal booster into the line, which solved all my problems.