Author Topic: A quick bit on spawn killing.  (Read 3376 times)

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Re: A quick bit on spawn killing.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 08:31:16 am »
There's a big difference between "Spawnkilling" and "Spawn Camping", and often people mistake the two.

Spawnkilling is a legitimate tactic to slow down enemies a great deal. However, spawn camping is an abuse of spawn killing, which completely disables the opposite team from even retaliating and is therefore unfair gameplay.

For deathmatch, it doesn't matter how you kill as long as you do it without cheats. Spawn killing would not be cheating.

Spawn Camping only works if the spawn points of your opponents are all in the same location, or mostly in one location. Therefore, for some maps, it is impossible to spawn camp. For deathmatch it is impossible to spawn camp because the spawn points should be scattered all over the map and unreachable without having to move around a lot. If it is possible, that would mean the spawn points are all clustered in one common location rather than spread out, which is the mapper's grave mistake.

Offline Devastated Mind

• Major(1)
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 09:22:20 am »
In competitive CTF 3on3 spawn camping is being done by any good clan and it's a key to winning maps like Ash, Voland or Dropdown2. Most caps after having cleared the enemies base already happen this way: the first player would go to the spawn and try to buy your team as much time as possible by spawn camping, while another player would sneak in and steal the flag. It'd be dumb to let your opponent move freely for seconds just to not be "lame" or a "spawn camper". In competitive matches you will generally do whatever tactic leads to victory most effectively.
And where would you draw the line? Is waiting outside the base house of Ash ok while throwing nades into all holes? Or would you even have to let the guys get outside so they dont get angry at you for disabling them to play properly? You will agree that this would be stupid. As there is no clear line all you will do in the end is spawn camping them with all your heart.

I agree that its annoying being spawn killed all the time and it kinda spoils the fun especially of ctf_Ash, so I completely agree with Shady.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:25:07 am by Devastated Mind »

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 05:11:00 pm »
Personally I think that it is your fault if you let the enemy soldat players get to your spawn point

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 05:37:14 pm »
Personally I think that it is your fault if you let the enemy soldat players get to your spawn point
But if players are newbies and are not skilled enough to protect their spawn, it's not their fault, you know.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 07:05:14 pm »
what about learning to avoid getting spawnkilled?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 10:32:22 pm »
Those who learn are not newbies anymore. But think of how long this process of learning takes. Not minutes - weeks at least. "Learn to deal with it" only sounds so easy, but in reality even experienced players can get spawnkilled repeatedly.

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 03:59:00 am »
But if players are newbies and are not skilled enough to protect their spawn, it's not their fault, you know.

i know, but there is no point complaining, as you said those who learn are not newbies and everyone has to start somewhere.

Those who learn are not newbies anymore. But think of how long this process of learning takes. Not minutes - weeks at least. "Learn to deal with it" only sounds so easy, but in reality even experienced players can get spawnkilled repeatedly.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 02:47:22 pm »
I still want a "invincible for X many seconds" feature.

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 03:15:59 pm »
I still want a "invincible for X many seconds" feature.

i think that it would be good to add this feature to make it easier to select a weapon.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 03:29:39 pm »
i've always hated it when you're playing on like,  pubs, even maybe gathers, but CW's and such? i agree on the necessity of it on those occasions...
b&