Author Topic: Why 20kb?  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Atomic Hype

• Major
Re: Why 20kb?
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 05:47:38 am »
Just thought I would interject.

You can change it to not view sigs aye?

So anyone with a slow connection should (logically) have that specific box checked.

And therefore, an extra 5-10kb per image that aren't even being loaded, aren't going to have any affect on slow connections.

:E
War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 11:09:25 am »
yes, but we shouldn't have to require those people to turn it off.  Forums are meant for talking, not for huge signatures.  As we proved in this thread, 20KB is enough for even the most aesthetically pleasting signature image

edit: original: 69KB

new VV 8.59KB - and I could have done it a couple more times to increase the quality, but I don't think you see any significant difference between these two, if any.

edit2: all I did with the second one was open it in gimp, and save it again.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 11:20:35 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline Lord Jaws

• Major(1)
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 12:08:44 pm »
Depends how you save your file, and how you decrease the bytes of your sig.. My standart sigs are
25 kb to 72 kb, and I have not even cut their sizes down...  and gimp is easy to do, but its also possible in photoshop, You just need to do it right! Just that you CAN'T do it, it doen't mean it is not possible....
MY Realistic Soldat Clan.: Coalition Europe
Shame it died. . .

Offline Atomic Hype

• Major
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 02:47:57 pm »
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnee eeeeeeeeeeee

:F
War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 04:32:13 pm »
Mmm, photoshop .gif compression. If you have photoshop, and the sig doesn't revolve around gradients, use gif.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 08:19:40 pm »
how in the hell do I seem to compress 109kb sigs (like the one below) into 18 nad 20 kb images, and not lose any quality what so ever?
use a loophole like a link to the sig, thats pretty stupid but if you really have to then go ahead.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 08:22:01 pm »
if anyone believes a certain sig image can't be compressed to be under 20KB, give it to me and I'll show you  that it can be done ;) (I'm not saying I'm going to convert images for lazy people.  If that happens, the offer goes away)

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2006, 09:09:59 pm »
if anyone believes a certain sig image can't be compressed to be under 20KB, give it to me and I'll show you  that it can be done
I know it can be done, cause I do it all the time...Although I like the quality of my images to be high, so my images seem to hit 18kb and 20kb. I definately do not doubt that it can't be done.
Just another soul to burn.