Author Topic: Dragunov SVD  (Read 7419 times)

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
Dragunov SVD
« on: June 25, 2006, 01:31:19 am »
hello, this is my first attempt at making any type of weapon, and i used MS paint...i know its crappy.  I tried to shade it, but i couldnt figure ou t how to do it....can anyone give me some tips on shading, and dont hurt me too bad on the crappiness :-\

Dragunov SVD:

EDIT: i saved it as a 24 bit bitmap image, i dont know if it worked or not, im not sure how to do this stuff  :-[

EDIT2: i fixed some of the stuff in this one taht you were talking about.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 01:17:55 pm by T-Bone »
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
Re: Dragunov SVD
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 01:57:28 am »
Crappy doesn't quite say it. That right there is not only ass-ugly, but also unusable, because you chose to make it a jpeg for some reason. And because you omitted weapon-gfx or anything else about it at all, so it's hardly even a mod. If you're going to try this again, include these things, and if you know it's crap and don't want everybody saying it, then keep it to yourself.

Put proper outlines around it, for starters. Not sure what I can say about shading except to work under magnification. Get a basic idea down first and then go back and fine-tune everything.

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 02:04:42 am »
well, i never intended on using it, i saw all these other cool weapons, so i thought id give it a shot. i just wanted to see what would happen if i tried.  i didnt know where to start, so i just looked at a pic and tried to draw what i saw....i dint realize it was jpeg. And i said it was crap, cause im not in denial....i knew it was a first effort and i didnt expect positive feedback, i just wanted tips on how it looked. and since you gave me some advice, im not gonna be stupid and ignore it.
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 02:09:33 am »
What confuses me the most is the inconsistency of it, really. The butt of it has outlines, but the rest doesn't, and so-on.

Yeah, if you're gonna resize a gun and then do it over, start by getting in a black outline. When you do get to shading, shade everything, because the butt as it is looks really awkward with only some dark pixels in the very bottom left.

Edit: My bad, that isn't a resize job, is it...?

Hmm. Well, by now you get my point about the outline, I guess.
Also, the barrel looks weird, with most of it being only one pixel thick and the end being thicker. Try not to represent anything using one-pixel-thick lines if you can help it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 02:11:27 am by Zero72 »

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 02:17:21 am »
i kinda changed it with some of your suggestions, and i got rid of the God aweful shading on the middle part, and mi gonna update my original post.

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 02:31:22 am »
for a first try, that is awesome. one thing...where is the scope? its not a Dragonov SVD with out a scope. A little more detail, and it would be alright. I still wanna see someone do a good version of the Sawn-off Shotty. Maybe you should give it a try...(hint hint)
Just another soul to burn.

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 02:34:11 am »
for a first try, that is awesome. one thing...where is the scope? its not a Dragonov SVD with out a scope. A little more detail, and it would be alright. I still wanna see someone do a good version of the Sawn-off Shotty. Maybe you should give it a try...(hint hint)

i dunno, after how bad the first few versions of the Drag. went haha...lol ill try of course, cause i want to get better, but it sucked real hardcore untill zero told me tips

EDIT: it looks like i only had shading in one part of the butt, is cause i gave up cause it looked like shit....i realized i needed help after about 20 different attempts lol
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 02:55:47 am by T-Bone »

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 06:08:39 am »
Even though you saved it as a bitmap, you will need to go back and make sure every single pixel of the background is the proper transparent color, I'm afraid, or when you use it in the game, it'll be a big ugly green rectangle with the weapon on it.

That's definitely a big improvement, but it still needs work. The shading on the butt still looks awful, and all the solid black should definitely be touched up with some detail. Plus, that wooden segment midway through the gun looks strange with those black marks in the middle of it.

When you do decide to have another crack at the shading, just take your time and make sure you're getting everything.

Offline Father Grigori

• Soldier
  • Multigaming: Sniper
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 09:38:17 am »
Yes. It definetly needs. Why dont you shrink an Dragunov. The fix the outlines to be propper. Then shade it. It would be much more easier than draw those with plain hands. Its too big.

·F·E·A·R·
Fluffy·Eurasian·Alligator·Rabbit

Offline Valorman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 12:56:04 pm »
lol its easy to shade just use a dirty white color and make a line of it on the wood part of the barrel.

Offline Valorman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 06:55:51 pm »
Its lookin good just make the scope a bit fatter on the end.

Offline GAMEOVER

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 09:24:41 pm »
looks like something fmb would make in a way, not my style needs a lot of work regardless

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 11:17:39 pm »
well, I decided to test it out, and well...its stuffed. The image still has the green stuff around the gun...you'd better fix that
Just another soul to burn.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 03:45:46 am »
Argh. Just argh. Here, then...

You have some more touching up to do. The things were so jpegged up I could barely tell what was gun and what wasn't in some places, but at least it's mostly fixed.

Don't save them as jpeg again. Save them as regular old bmps.

Edit: Forum won't let you upload .bmp. *clunks head on desk* I don't see what's the point, since the same filesize cap exists on all image types anyway...

PNG is a lossless format. If you post them on the forum again, use that. They're still easy enough to toss into Paint and edit normally.

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 11:26:35 am »
ive got it working on my comp...i use it ingame an it has no green stuff on it.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 02:56:05 am »
That's because on your end, it's a bitmap.

Every pixel needs to be exactly the right color for Soldat to pick it up as transparent.