Poll

So, what mode do you mainly play under?

Normal-Mode
54 (58.1%)
Realistic-Mode
37 (39.8%)
I'm inactive ingame, SF.com is my way :)
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: Real vs. Norm (another go!)  (Read 6127 times)

Offline X-Ray

• Major(1)
Re: Real vs. Norm (another go!)
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 06:57:16 pm »
Realistic only. I think the last time I played Normal is about 3 years ago.
The nice thing of Realistic is that you have to anticipate more on the behaviour of your enemy. Since I can't see the bastard I must therefor think as he would do and he vice versa. It's more tactical in that way.

R/S I don't play that much. I'm not too good at the 'S' part of it.
USSR: United Soldiers of Soldat Realistic
Visit us at http://ussr.soldat-clans.net

All soldiers are equal, but some are more equal then others (to George Orwell, Animal Farm)

Offline AThousandDeaths

• Soldier
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 03:25:28 am »
Realistic tends to put more emphasis on making shots count, quick reaction time, surprising your opponents...
Normal tends to put more emphasis on making all of your shots hit...

Wot he sez. Realistic all the way for me. I started off with normal mode, but that was just not it. Also, the argument that normal mode is faster-paced than realistic. Give me a break - when I was, for a short while, in a normal clan, it used to drive me crazy when I had to load magfulls of ammo into my opponents. After so much realistic I just don't have this "all shots have to hit" attitude and couldn't develop one so I fail at normal and it's no fun for me. Unless I used Ruger. But that was lame with no recoil, felt so.

Now realistic is just a great thing. Only problem is that it's prolly easier to hack, like using radars and that sort of thing. But we've got a promise of a change in the new version, so that's being taken care of.
As for the atmosphere - yap, I guess it's quite ok. We know most of each other - which is perhaps a testament not to the coziness, but to the limited number of people - though I guess I'm more on the unfriendly scale of things. Reckon I'm too old for this and in it just for the wins, plus I'm easily driven mad.

Anyways, do play realistic sometimes. Even thought I don't really like normal, I play an odd game once or twice in a while. Just knock off this a priori attitude of "realistic is slow, stupid and full of jerks" and give it a go. A long go, a marathon I should say. You're bound to start liking it at some point. Demonic's and some other players' examples proves that the differences aren't that big.
The paternal plow finally plowed through the filial field (T. Pynchon Gravity's Rainbow)

#Soldat.KKorps

Offline gedazz

• Camper
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 06:09:05 am »
Vote for realsitic (but not survival/advance).

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2007, 10:05:36 am »
I actually thought there'd have been a wider majority towards normalmode than it's proven here. Warms me heart :)

Alot of good points have come up, and I hope some of you will now give the whole realistic scene a try, or a better one none the less.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Stern

• Major(1)
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2007, 11:18:48 pm »
I started playing Soldat back in 1.1.3.  I quickly discovered realistic, and played that mostly.  I've been playing that ever since.  It's definitely faster than normal, because of the fact that you spend less time fighting each enemy and you have to think/react much faster to prevent getting killed.

On the subject of R/S, it's just not good.  I avoid R/S servers as much as possible, because it kills the fast pace of realistic, and the players are just elitists.  The best is playing on the servers of the better clans, like <NuC> and <DN>.  That's where the importance of good tactics and impeccable aim show through, because 95% of fights between you and another player will last under 2 seconds.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 08:07:05 am »
On the subject of R/S, it's just not good.  I avoid R/S servers as much as possible, because it kills the fast pace of realistic, and the players are just elitists. 
I disagree. I actually think R/S makes you value your actions even more than in ordinary realistic, and of you play in a good server it's definitely alot more fun. Obviously, if the teams are wildly unfair and your mates are tk'ing it's hell..

The best is playing on the servers of the better clans, like <NuC> and <DN>.  That's where the importance of good tactics and impeccable aim show through, because 95% of fights between you and another player will last under 2 seconds.
Those servers are really good, yeah, but their far from the only servers that offer training on the mentioned subjects. I consider myself a good player, at least from time to time :P, and I still join newbie servers just to practise my footwork and such.
It ain't where you train, it's how you train.

Offline Madchal

• Camper
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 03:24:25 pm »
- Let me add:

The only thing I like in R/S more than R is that there is alot of time where you can just chat and chill =P    Not so much time for some hardcore soldat gaming though.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2007, 06:40:17 am »
Hmm. I agree to some extend.
The chatting thing is great, no doubt about it, but i wouldn't say it leaves less time for hardcore soldat gaming. It just has its own style, I'd say.

By the way, chatting in soldat can actually be really fun :P

Offline Tinysmurf

• Major
  • R7.
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2007, 02:16:28 pm »
There are a lot of whiners and trash talkers in RS more than original though. I like it lol...sometimes i just go to a server and spec to chat in RS and not even play.

Offline Horang

• Major(1)
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2007, 05:24:28 pm »
Realistic beats normal.

Normal is full of hacking arrogant fucktards who think they're the shit.

Offline jeffslife

• Major(1)
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2007, 05:26:26 pm »
My friends and I only play Realistic, very fun. :)