Author Topic: Campaign Mode Idea.  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
Campaign Mode Idea.
« on: February 23, 2007, 01:58:45 pm »
I have a new, plausable idea for a campaign mode with many map-specific objective possibilities. I'm sure that most (if not all of) the script is possible for soldat's scripting language, however much of it would be a pain to code. It would be intended for online play, as 1) it requires the scripting language, and 2) some objectives would be much easier with a squad as apposed to a one-man team. The reason why I'm not making this right now is that I have no experience with the delphi language. Here's the constraints needed for this gamemode:

First off, any human player that joins bravo is sent to alpha, unless they are /setteam2'd.

Second, if the ending of the round wasn't caused by alpha's team score maxing out, the map will restart. If alpha did indeed reach max score, then the next map on the list is chosen. Note, that even if alpha wins, if they don't reach max score, the map will still restart. This may be difficult to code, because it occurs at the end of a map, and the maplist will shift instead of staying at the current map.

Third, depending on the map, at the beginning of a round, the time limit and point limit will change, along with six more invented variables, ie:
if currentmap == 'inf_cpMC1wf2' then
limit = 50
timelimit = 7
charlieflagr = 2
deltaflagr = 0
charliemethd = 1
deltamethd = 0
charliebot = 'boogie man'
deltabot = 'admiral'
endif

I know that's bogus code, but it gets the point across. These map-specifics would be bundeled with the script, otherwise this would be impossible.

Fourth, if a player comes within proximity to a rambo spawnpoint or a pointmatchflag spawnpoint, something will happen depending on the map-specific variables. These are the charliemethd or deltamethd possibilities:

not used- 0
captured bravo flag- 1
scored bravo flag- 2
alpha comes into proximity with a rambo bow spawnpoint- 3
alpha comes into proximity with a pointmatch flag spawnpoint- 4

For example, if charliemethd was equal to 1, charlieflagr equaled 2, and charliebot was equal to 'boogie man', two boogie men would spawn when the flag was captured. The problem with this idea is that the player could create mass amounts of boogie men by throwing the flag and then catching it. I have developed a solution to this. At the beginning of the round, a variable would exist stating whether or not charlie had spawned yet, and whether or not delta had spawned. They start as false. When their spawn is triggered, the variable for their team would be set to true. After alpha scores the flag, the bots would be kicked, and the team variable would be set to false again. The only exception to this rule are the bots whose spawn is triggered after alpha scores. They are kicked a few seconds after they die by ordinary death (the survival autokiller doesn't apply).

Fifth, and lastly, typing '/help' would PM the user with a fixed message. Typing '/objective' would PM the user with a map-specific message, chosen from a list of messages attached to the script.

Maps would be INF, and arranged in an order that would make sense for a campaign. It's a shame that the script would have to be modified for each map, but hey, it's better than nothing. What'd be great, but not possible, is if the map-specific variables and objective message could sit in a file with the same name, but a different extension, in the \maps\ folder. No, I'm not hinting at anything...
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
Re: Campaign Mode Idea.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 03:01:41 pm »
I have a new, plausable idea for a campaign mode with many map-specific objective possibilities. I'm sure that most (if not all of) the script is possible for soldat's scripting language, however much of it would be a pain to code. It would be intended for online play, as 1) it requires the scripting language, and 2) some objectives would be much easier with a squad as apposed to a one-man team. The reason why I'm not making this right now is that I have no experience with the delphi language. Here's the constraints needed for this gamemode:

First off, any human player that joins bravo is sent to alpha, unless they are /setteam2'd.

Second, if the ending of the round wasn't caused by alpha's team score maxing out, the map will restart. If alpha did indeed reach max score, then the next map on the list is chosen. Note, that even if alpha wins, if they don't reach max score, the map will still restart. This may be difficult to code, because it occurs at the end of a map, and the maplist will shift instead of staying at the current map.
Sounds like an ok idea, I wouldn't mind playing some of hene's maps like this.

-First, you would set the score limit to something unreachable (20) and use the scripting engine itself to count the score and finsih the game at eg. 6 caps. So thers no worries with the server changing map.

What'd be great, but not possible, is if the map-specific variables and objective message could sit in a file with the same name, but a different extension, in the \maps\ folder. No, I'm not hinting at anything...
Umm... this is possible but silly. Instead of having a mpas folder full of maps and configs you could just use one file in the server folder named eg 'config.ini' and set it out like

[map]ctf_Inflvl
[obj]Free up the front then flank from behind.

[map]ctf_INF
[obj]Boogiemen taking the castle, go get it back

As the server is great at reading ini files
Soldat Lobby Avec Players -New Release! - Updated AGAIN!

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:24:08 am »
i thought about single player scripting already, but i guess it'd be too much effort for no one actually playing it in the end
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:20:35 pm »
Well Avarax, if I can produce this script, it could result in some truly unique and fun maps. For example, there could be a map with a giant castle door, and the only way to bust down its door would be to find the three explosive devices on the map, which are just black flags scattered randomly throughout a massive jungle. Apart from coming in contact with the castle guards, you may come across a horde cannabalistic hunters who would fall from the treetops and surround you. Also, by using a map-specific available weapons code, some maps could give you a challenging set of weapons to work with, but moving into, say, the weapons storage in the cellar of the castle would give you plenty more choices.

Maybe, after the script is developed, and one campaign is made, someone would be willing to host a server for it, and it will actually get popular, due to its complete change from the soldat we know and love.
shoutout to m'boyz eagles_arrows, echo_trail, wraithlike, sadistatheart, chakapoko maker, jrgp, aznblood, chakra, keron cyst, et al, miss you, let's '#gather some day

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 08:06:20 am »
yeah... well still it'd be a big extra effort + the map you would also have to make. oh and btw there can't be multiple black flags :D

you know what actually prevented me from doing this?
the missing of a SetPlayer(X,Y) procedure.
with this you could do something like actual checkpoints and doors. so far, you could only do that via the teamspawns which sucks :(
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Mistercharles

• Veteran
  • +
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 10:06:44 am »
Not the map avarax, but a big series of maps, like any conventional video game. If you really want a checkpoint in a map, just break it up into sections. But I'm not talking about just one mission either, I'm talking about a whole series of them.