Author Topic: Servers with 10+ bots.  (Read 980 times)

Offline Ranzear

• Major(1)
Servers with 10+ bots.
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:44:54 pm »
Yeah, I'm back if you remember me and my Apoca City package. These new forums are certainly a bit of a shock.

This is something I saw in a locked topic that I felt like making a nice little post on. I started doing this while hosting said Apoca City server with 24 bots and 5 clients including a seperate instance of soldat for myself. There is a way to run a dedicated server and local-connection to it while remaining lag-free even with 24-30 bots. This requires Win2k/XP, and latest service packs for the 'above normal' setting I think. You should already be running your dedicated server in a seperate installation (whole 'nother soldat directory).

Run your dedicated server windowed, tick all your bots and such, and host the game.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the task manager. Go to the 'Processes' tab. Right click Soldat.exe (if you've already started your client window, you won't be able to tell them apart, do all this first) and set it's priority to 'Above Normal'.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/Ranzear/soldat/priority.jpg

If you have a sufficient computer your client instance shouldn't see any performance hit while the server gets everything it needs. This eliminates the spiking and stuttering that is associated with the active window getting more CPU and Network prioity and the server then getting a canning in the background while it tries to run AI, improving performance for everyone who joins the server.