Author Topic: New Skin Mods  (Read 8499 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: New Skin Mods
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 09:52:45 pm »
couldn't this be called hacking?  Most people don't think so because they think hacking is something only an advanced computer programmer can do.  But in reality this is hacking!  You find an error in the code (or lack of correction) and you write your own program (SSCC SPCC (Soldat Pants Color Changer) and exploit a weakness/error in the game totally giving you an unfair advantage.  [ban] [ban] [ban]
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 11:10:19 pm »
Fixed in the next server version.

This is done by editing Soldat's memory, and thus is hacking and anyone who does it should be banned. Skin is the only thing that is allowed to be turned invisible.

Why? Why is invisible skin considered "okay" by the powers that be? It's part of the Soldat's coloring, and while it doesn't make too much of an impact with players out in the open, the invisible head and lack of camping "give away" colors are certainly an advantage over what I'd believe to be the original intent. Could this at the very least be a server setting?
couldn't this be called hacking? Most people don't think so because they think hacking is something only an advanced computer programmer can do. But in reality this is hacking! You find an error in the code (or lack of correction) and you write your own program (SSCC SPCC (Soldat Pants Color Changer) and exploit a weakness/error in the game totally giving you an unfair advantage. [ban] [ban] [ban]

This is different; Soldat specifically has checks in the code in place to prevent this, and this removes those checks, thus modifying soldats code. SSCC does NOT do that, it just formats the color in a special way that soldat accepts.

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 03:51:59 am »
Changing your skin doesn't really matter much, because they can still see most of you, but I think having everything but your torso invisible is really starting to cross over the line between fun body design and cheating.

The skin changing is a bad exploit itself since it can make campers more difficult to detect as there is less chance of the odd color poking through the scenery. Also, while, yes, as most of these users argue, you can still be hit in the invisible spots, it still removes a vital part of what should be a visible target.

As far as I'm concerned, any outside program or non-standard trick used to better one's advantage is a hack just the same. I really need to take a stronger stance on invisible heads and legs. Hopefully the new Soldat version will be able to better detect such exploits. Really, it can't come soon enough for me.
Fixed in the next server version.

This is done by editing Soldat's memory, and thus is hacking and anyone who does it should be banned. Skin is the only thing that is allowed to be turned invisible.

Why? Why is invisible skin considered "okay" by the powers that be? It's part of the Soldat's coloring, and while it doesn't make too much of an impact with players out in the open, the invisible head and lack of camping "give away" colors are certainly an advantage over what I'd believe to be the original intent. Could this at the very least be a server setting?

I'm not too concerned with that, because 9/10 campers don't use decent camouflage anyway.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 11:18:03 am »
Its not cheating because u can do the same with ur skin
worst argument ever. really.

"HACKING IS NOT BAD, YOU CAN HACK TOO!"
Think about it.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 12:51:11 pm »
That's not what he meant. He was sayinmg that making upper torso invisible isn't a hack, since you've been able to do that with your facial skin for ages.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Jæson

• Soldier
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 05:21:26 pm »
This doesn't seem like a mod. Because if it was classified as a mod, only the player would be able to see it, unless others had it active as well, which is unlikely. This seems like a definate exploit, somehow tricking Soldat into making the torso or legs invisible. It disgusts me, really. Glad it'll be fixed in the next version. The only consequence for people who use this exploit is a direct Ban. No exceptions.
Miss your shots, miss your chance.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 06:11:09 pm »
This doesn't seem like a mod. Because if it was classified as a mod, only the player would be able to see it, unless others had it active as well, which is unlikely. This seems like a definate exploit, somehow tricking Soldat into making the torso or legs invisible. It disgusts me, really. Glad it'll be fixed in the next version. The only consequence for people who use this exploit is a direct Ban. No exceptions.

Some people refer to "hacks" as "mods"

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 06:36:08 pm »
If it just for the aesthetic appearance, have it as a feature like guns mods that only you can see.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 07:17:45 pm »
What is the point of this topic now? It is a hack, and it is fixed.

It is not a mod, you can not obtain invisible pants/shirt without modifying Soldat's memory, just like HACKS. It violates the Soldat ToS.

Invisible Skin = Mod.
Invisible Pants = Hacked.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 02:33:03 pm »
How come that's actually possible with your skin?.. I mean, isn't that like the same thing?
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 02:46:09 pm »
How come that's actually possible with your skin?.. I mean, isn't that like the same thing?

This is different; Soldat specifically has checks in the code in place to prevent this, and this removes those checks, thus modifying soldats code. SSCC does NOT do that, it just formats the color in a special way that soldat accepts.

Summarized Soldat allows transparent skin, but not transparent pants/torso/hair.

Offline sakae

• Soldier
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 03:28:13 pm »
well for noobs invisbile skin doesnt make a diffrence beceause they have to aim consiuosly.

and if one wants an invsible head so damn much why cant they just cahgne the gfx?
sigh really. I rather play an aimbot suer than a transprant head.

I hope michal will notice those topics and remove invsibiel head for good and no server side option..

you always die? you cant kill anyone? you cant hide? no problem!! the ultimate solution for noobs ist to make your skin invsible!

Offline Spec. Ops

• Major
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 04:31:48 pm »
Well, its not a very useful hack. Unless ur a guy like sakae and doesnt kno where someones head is.

Offline sakae

• Soldier
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 04:41:22 pm »
I know where it is but I aim unconsously... sigh dammit why didnt I record that time -__-.

anyway it makes a lot of diffrence.

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 06:44:00 pm »
^ Really, if you haven't already, read what chrisgbk said in http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=11465.0 and just get over it already. If anyone is the 'noob', it is you for not being able to handle something that gives very little advantage (if any) and is really little more than a graphical change. Saying that it's "bug abusing" is an overstatement; even MM says that it's ok. If you truly have any skill, then the small amount of invisible skin would be no problem for you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 06:47:12 pm by SDFilm »

Offline sakae

• Soldier
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 06:48:37 pm »
sigh. as I have said like 5 times a good players deosnt aim. he shtos at feeling. thats how everything works if you are good.

and still if michal thinks it is ok it is till a bug.

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 06:52:18 pm »
Yes that aiming thing is true, but that shouldn't make a problem. I know, I've been against countless numbers of them and still been able to hit well. I don't even use them and I don't mind going against them. If the torso and/or legs were invisible that will be really hacking annd give an unfair advantage, but having an invsible head is nouthing.

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 07:31:55 pm »
sakae, a good player shoots on knowledge. Feeling is involved just as much as aiming, yes, but it's knowledge that drives you. You're supposed to know where that person's going to be, and as such know where the weak-spots of the gostek will be travelling. Bring in the structure of the map for any variables that could get in the way, and you've got a pretty good set up.

For noobs, if anything, it does make a difference. A: They're distracted by the fact that, WTF, the target has no head, and B: they'll be aiming for what they can see. The standard noob tactic is that when you spot something not your color, you shoot it. You shoot it until it can no longer fight back, and then you move to the next one.

If they don't see the head, they'll fire for areas they can see, which generally do less damage. This may not be true for all, but I've noted that it's true for the majority.

Moving on to "skilled" players, who apparently have difficulty against these invisi-heads. I have, not once, seen any actual skilled player complain about invisible skin unless their opponent was using it to camp with an advantage. In standard combat, be it long range or short, the invisible head is nothing more then just another skin color to actual skilled players who know what they're up against.

So no, always dying or not being able to kill anyone will not be helped by making your skin invisible. I will, however, admit that it helps a whole hell of a lot with camping and hiding; especially when your clothes blend with the scenery.

Soldat Name: Kazuo Kiriyama

Offline Carlitos

• Camper
  • Dont Give Up
    • Mr.Pants adventures on Soldat
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 07:32:48 pm »
i agree 100% with SDFilm. Legs, torso invisible: hacking. This is unfair. God dammit sakae just get over with it!
U like to see this happening often at soldat? Didn't think so!
---See the advantures of Mr.Pants and others in soldat---
http://www.youtube.com/TugaSoldatTV
-------------------------------
Amen
-------------------------------

Offline sakae

• Soldier
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2007, 07:46:35 pm »
I think as long the head is showing it isnt lame. I rahter play someone without torso and leg than someone without a head.

and also I am a survival person ;) so I know how ppl react and stuff...