Author Topic: If I had the time to make soldat....  (Read 934 times)

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
If I had the time to make soldat....
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:40:00 am »
A list of core improvements to make soldat even better...

Was thinking of this stuff while playing jrgp in a soldat 1.3.0 (The server had like 8 people in it. It was crazy that many people still play 1.3.0).

Edit core file locations
If you run several instances of a soldat server on one machine it would be nice to have them all share an remote admin file or ban file. So in a configuration file (xml or ini) they could re-map file/folder locations. List of suggested files or folders to change...
  • Bots/
  • Maps/
  • Scripts/
  • Banned.txt
  • mapslist.txt
  • remote.txt
This could also open up the possibility of the admin or banned file being dynamic. So they can be pulled from a database or several different sources.

Stats feed
The current remote admin connection should remain as it is. Another feed should be provided from the soldat server specifically for recording status in their own format. This should be even driven only, no requesting a packet from the server (refresh). The more detailed the better!
Example...
1) A person joins the game. Join even is triggered thus a line is sent along the feed containing the players name, ip, clothing color, skin color, hair style, head gear, tags or necklace, registration status, registered name.
2) Player joins team bravo
3) Player picks weapons, primary and secondary.
4) Player drops weapon
5) Player A gets killed by player B
6) Player A calls player B a "noob"

This will open up a variety of options as fun as finding out what the most common shirt color was that day or how long the player lived on avarage.

More taunt options
There is a lot I want to say while I play and never enough time to type it. I ran out of keys to assign taunts to. Not only that but it would be easier to assign taunts to the key pad. Put simply...
  • All kays can have a taunt assigned to it
  • Alt + should no longer be required
I would go as far to say that a "/kill" for the click on the mouse wheel would be a good idea. (from a conceptual point of view)

Modify physics
Many people touched on small parts of this but I'm going to cover it as a whole. It would be great to change everything from the gravity to the speed people move. Then other more technical options such as the friction applied by air. This brings up the idea of changing the physics a single polygon. For the sake of time I would set it on a per map basis. Maybe advanced mapping options later.
After all, I'm probably not the only one who wants to have a gun fight on the moon or under water.

The Soldat Engine
The game engine for soldat, not open source but documented and customizable. Your basically there if you add physics editing. Obviously this will encourage modding and that is really the only purpose for this suggestion.

Just suggestions ;)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: If I had the time to make soldat....
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 11:11:17 am »
If the keyboard doesn't have enough keys for all your taunts then I think you play soldat a BIT too much...

If I get you right, you want editable files to be compatible within all versions (especially upcoming ones)?
The reasons for incompatibility is usually not b.c MM decided to put them in separate locations, but b.c upgraded versions usually change the format to encompass more info for example, so different versions simply need different files.

...further, why should Michal be stuck working on pervious versions?  He should keep his head up and looking forward - just like all other ppl who are still stuck in the 1.3.0 times...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
Re: If I had the time to make soldat....
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 11:20:41 am »
This has nothing to do with previous versions. I was only thinking about this stuff because I wasn't in the 1.3.1 environment and could think out of the box even more than I usually do. This thinking forward, in fact I think crimson glory is going to have a plethora of new features a long the lines of the suggestions I posted.