Author Topic: The Simpsons...  (Read 1394 times)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
The Simpsons...
« on: March 04, 2007, 09:03:40 pm »
The new episode of the Simpsons has just been aired on the east coast. In this episode, Bart; while talking to a psychologist, Breaks the fourth wall. Usually "breaking the fourth wall" is used as a cheap joke, it is used very often in poorly made media that is rushed into completion. This worries me.

Are the Simpsons dieing? Have they Jumped the shark? Do you [still] watch the Simpsons?
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
Re: The Simpsons...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:24:07 pm »
They've been dieing since a long time. For some odd reason, I actually did watch the simpsons today. I haven't watched it in like 4 months and decided to watch it today. Family guy was funny though.....WHAT I MEANT SEX!

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 10:49:37 pm »
I haven't watched any recent episodes, but I have the older seasons on dvd's and watch those a lot.
Yeah, they are dying, sucks.

*Tear rolls down face as I look over at my Homer poster on the wall*
There are other worlds than these

Offline peemonkey

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:50:35 pm »
Simpsons turned shit when it tried getting all edgy like family guy. It was better back in the day with longer, drawn-out jokes that made you laugh your ass off. Family guy is to blame.

But seriously, fuck the simpsons, they're too far left.

Offline BlackHawK

• Major
  • La agua que te guia es todo un mar de porquerias!
    • Soldat[BR]
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 11:17:36 pm »
here in brazil the simpsoms go on air (i dont know the right expression x[) on saturdays morning... but i dont see the people commenting the episodes like they used to do some years ago :|
Flávio Santos Ferrel

------------
Dentre outras mil és tu Brasil, Oh Pátria amada!
Dos filhos deste solo és mãe gentil, Pátria amada Brasil!

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 11:19:05 pm »
Even if they did sell out... they went on for a long time and should be respected for that... and yeah peemonkey is right about the left.
@ii

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 11:20:24 pm »
The correct stance is to say you liked the simpson but it sucks now.

Tim and Eric are funnier anyways:

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 11:29:16 pm »
Heck, Malcolm in the Middle broke the fourth wall from the start, and it still did alright.  But yeah, the Simpsons is definitely not as good as it used to be.  I still like it for many reasons, though.  The always have the real person voice famous people in the show, and they're decidedly neutral when it comes to topics like religion and politics, which is always nice.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:33:08 pm by {LAW} Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 12:51:03 am »
i like it now as much as i did when i started watching it but i hardly ever watch it anyway

but they must be doing something right because this is the shows 16th (??) year and they're as popular as ever

Offline Jæson

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 02:19:43 am »
I don't think I ever really sat down and with my own will power, watched, The Simpsons.
Miss your shots, miss your chance.

Offline jap_man

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 03:24:02 am »
Yea, The Simpsons have Jumped the Shark, the newer episodes (as Peemonkey said) got too much like Family Guy and started lacking any plot or meaning (Family Guy is still an alright watch, just Family Guy does what they do best, not the Simpsons)

But you have to give the creators some credit, they have done over 400 episodes they were always going to eventually run out of ideas and considering how long it takes to make a single episode, it makes doing current events almost out of the question as well.

I love hardcore boys its too good to be true
One on one or the whole damn crew

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 07:10:46 am »
The old eps are awesome, I only watch those ones now.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 11:26:16 am »
i like it now as much as i did when i started watching it but i hardly ever watch it anyway

but they must be doing something right because this is the shows 16th (??) year and they're as popular as ever

Eighteenth.  Easy to remember for me, since it began the same year I was born (1988).
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 03:15:02 pm »
Heck, Malcolm in the Middle broke the fourth wall from the start, and it still did alright.  But yeah, the Simpsons is definitely not as good as it used to be.  I still like it for many reasons, though.  The always have the real person voice famous people in the show, and they're decidedly neutral when it comes to topics like religion and politics, which is always nice.
Malcolm in the Middle didn't really break the fourth wall, it was written as a narrative of the life of Malcolm. where as in Final Fantasy V (see wikipedia article) where someone screams "Hey!
You out there in front of the TV! You too!" he is clearly breaking the fourth wall.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline PapaSurf

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 09:02:19 pm »
They almost broke the 4th wall in "Who shot mr. burns?" when the doctor points at the screen and goes "Can you? [solve the mystery]" but really he was pointing at cheif wiggum.  Still, there have been enough Simpsons episodes where they clearly refer to itself as a show, such as the one where it shows the different characters getting their own spinoffs.

For the record:
Robot Chicken > Family Guy > American Dad > Simpsons > Everybody Loves Raymond
Check out my new shamelessly self promoted mod HERE

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 01:26:43 am »
ye robot chicken rox