Author Topic: Paths  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Paths
« on: March 06, 2007, 08:04:46 pm »
I've done my research and I do not see in Polyworks anywhere to make a path or create one of some sort. I have scoured the editor and don't see nothin...I must obviously be missing something. Just to let yah all know, I have also looked at those two stickies on waypointing ;). I'm currently attempting to make a ctf map, and it isn't too bad for my first serious map.

And no, I'd prefer to not have anyone waypoint the map or anything. I'll learn myself, or at least attempt to.

So basically, with the polyworks editor, how do you make paths?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:53:05 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
Re: Paths
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 10:42:45 pm »
Hold shift and click on an existing waypoint. Click to form a new waypoint, or hold Shift and click on another existing waypoint to connect the two.

Switch to a different tool to cancel connecting

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:46:28 pm »
Hehe, well I ended up just downloading the other soldat editor and it told me right there in help. Guess that was handy.

Thanks anyway. Now I have a new problem ;) and thats waypointing the map right... I made two maps, one just a deathmatch/rambo map (which rambo works perfect) and then a ctf, and the ctf is the one that's a pain to waypoint correctly...That'll take me sometime except that it might not even be worth it hehe. Maybe I'll post a screeny here to see if its even worthy of my time.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 11:49:19 pm »
The instructions in MM and MM+ are flawed for waypoints... in one of commands (I forgot which, I think stringing waypoints together), right-click should be left and left, right, in using Shift :P

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 02:25:48 am »
And no, I'd prefer to not have anyone waypoint the map or anything. I'll learn myself, or at least attempt to.
Good for you, taking your maps into your own hands and away from the evil people.
What I did to kinda learn to waypoint is just to make a bunch of shit maps and waypoint them, then put ten bots on one team and spect them.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:54:09 pm »
Huh, good idea. Guess I'll start the forever process of trial and error :). It's farely easy to make alright maps but to waypoint them...haha. I'll try making a bunch of maps with different "scenarios" in them for the bots and try to figure out waypointing that way...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:56:01 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 12:29:58 am »
Hahaha, yeah... that's pretty much all what waypointing really is; set a guessed path to the best of your ability, then playtest it, find any bad wypts. in the run, move 'em over a few pixels, playtest, revise, playtest, revise... I dunno, it's easy to see why so many people would find such a process tedious and boring, but it's just fun for me to yell my head off. "Stupid bots!!" "You freakin'..." "I told you to jump, not jet"... lol ;D

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 02:27:41 am »
Oh man, I just (well basically) finally finished waypointing my first actual map and it took a while... Finally found out how to make jumping over simple objects like crates easy, but it took forever cause the bots would always get stuck behing a crate and just jump never making it over the the crate...

Well, the map is called Dm_MummyDance ;) and I uploaded a simple, but almost complete version to the deathmatch/whatever maps page. There are two other maps that go along with the download but they aren't really that great =D. If you want, check it out. I'll be releasing newer versions of MummyDance as time goes on. The map is somewhat sufficiently waypointed, I mean well, at least the bots go back and forth across the map fairly well and if they screw up, it fixes itself for the most part.