Author Topic: i hate the new weapon balance..  (Read 16298 times)

Offline Camping_carl

• Major(1)
  • Defeat
i hate the new weapon balance..
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:28:33 am »
it freaking sucks in my opinion I hate holding down the freaking trigger to SHOOT my barret.. wtf is up with that. No.. in real life YOU PULL THE TRIGGER THE BULLET GOES a million miles an hour

See.. its just not cool... and like.. the m79 can still just chill :(
  my mofo made this beautiful piece of art.

Offline m00`

• Soldier
  • hai guys
Re: i hate the new weapon balance..
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 02:22:21 am »
I dont like it either, but this game wasn't really supposed to be very realistic ;)
cool

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 02:38:23 am »
Indeed.
I don't like it either, but as moo said, Soldat is not supposed to be "realistic".
Who knows maybe tht startup might get removed...i hope it gets removed from barrett and law personally :\
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 02:53:50 am »
I think the current weapon balance is the best out of any that I've played. Right now, no weapon has a massive advantage over any other, and two users of comparable skill can maintain relative equality in a game without having to resort to using the same weapon.

So the barret has a delay now and takes a little more effort and skill to use... what's the problem? My experience only goes back as far as 1.2, so if there was some awesome balance before then that I've failed to acknowledge, then forgive me, but from what I remember when I first started, the barret was extremely overpowered. Each server was an infestation of barreters, and there was really no counter against somebody decent enough at point-and-click.

And then a miracle occurs and we receive items like delay and bink to help balance the game. I don't understand... what's the big deal? I'm not saying that this weapon balance is perfect, because I'll be the first to admit that it's not, but I do think it's a step closer in the right direction. What's so terrible about delay?

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 05:47:51 am »
The delay represents the time it takes to look into the scope and aim the barret. Without aiming you'll have a hard time shooting anything in real life.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Seancapsyourass

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 07:32:46 am »
Personnally the only think that needs to be tweaked is the m79.  I have a huge biase against it,  I like that the m79 can make some awesome shots it just seems to me that it can be abused way too much and one thing that pisses me off more than anything are those "suicide bombers." 

Instead of adding a delay to the m79 maybe you could make a minimium distance where the shell isn't explosive.  I'm not sure if that is at all possible for MM to code but it might be a fun thing to test out.  The shell would still cause damage at that small range but it wouldn't be an instant kill unless the victim gets plunked in the head.  This probably isn't a practical solution and would cause more problems with the m79 maybe but I just thought I might throw it out there.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 09:08:41 am »
Personnally the only think that needs to be tweaked is the m79.  I have a huge biase against it,  I like that the m79 can make some awesome shots it just seems to me that it can be abused way too much and one thing that pisses me off more than anything are those "suicide bombers." 

Suicide from being too close to the shot upon impact is a detriment to using the M79. It's a strike against the weapon and no different than if a player were to chuck grenades at a enemy point blank. The fact that you're allowing yourself to get close enough to a M79 player so that his shot also takes him out is the problem. Step out of its range and you'll be fine.  :)

Offline Yukwunhang

• Major
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 09:20:35 am »
In a CTF game, players are running toward each other. The time between a M79er appears on your screen and being hit by him is less then 1 second, when both are running at full speed. I'm not going to slow down my speed in a CTF game just to prevent getting hit by a M79 because that means your enemies can push forward much further and the chance of losing a point is higher.

IMO, the problem of the M79 is the size of the M79 grenade. It's 2-3 times bigger then a normal bullet which means the chance of getting hit is also 2-3 times higher.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:24:23 am by Yukwunhang »

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 10:37:18 am »
2-3 Times more chnace of being hit lol?
More like 1/50 More chance of being hit, its only a couple of extra pixels
http://yossi.jrgp.org/?action=maps&sa=user_maps&u=10
Image (and link) is broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline pero

• Major
  • [SaD] #fragbait
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 10:41:54 am »
Umm i like the new balance (131 not thhat experimental crap), the only overpowered weapon IMO is steyr.I think you should just lower its damage and thats it.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 10:51:49 am »

Instead of adding a delay to the m79 maybe you could make a minimium distance where the shell isn't explosive.  I'm not sure if that is at all possible for MM to code but it might be a fun thing to test out.  The shell would still cause damage at that small range but it wouldn't be an instant kill unless the victim gets plunked in the head.  This probably isn't a practical solution and would cause more problems with the m79 maybe but I just thought I might throw it out there.
Its really easy to dodge a medium range shot from a m79, just learn to move right, just like avioding a sniper. Anyway I don't know how many times i have said this ok autos do have an advantage over m79, just fire at the m79er and he will get bink, if he misses(which is now more likely due to bink) hit him hard on the reload.  I've been killed countless times when reloading, the only time a m79 is going to have an advantage like your talking about is when the m79er is not being shot at. Otehr then that is a pretty equal gun. This balance is great all the guns are closest to equal they have ever been. Still some gun are ment to be better at some things then others. M79 is great for quickshots and such, autos are great for smaller area maps, high traffic games, giving bink, and also to spray at a player or flagger thats running away.(Thats happened to me alot too.. m79 can't reach far enough to kill auto user and auto user just sprays and end up killing the m79er) Now tactics people use with m79 like the suicide bombing... well thats dumb because they die too and it just gives both of you about 3 seconds to get ready to fight again., but really when i do that, i really don't mean to, just both people moving to fast at each other.
@ii

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 10:53:54 am »
I think steyr is fine as it is, the bullets are more random compared to other weapons, so that makes up for the higher damage

And Cross guy, In my experiance bink hardly affects M79's

Offline Yukwunhang

• Major
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 11:12:04 am »
The collision point of a normal bullet is 1 pixel big and the M79 grenade is 6 pixels big. So there is a 600% of increase in size. Remember, the soldier is just about 10 pixels tall so a single pixel makes a big difference.

And gram, the problem with M79 is that you are killed before you can react, just like the barret without the delay. Even if he misses, he can nade spam to slow you down, run away and reload. Besides, you can boost, bump away people through a thin wall, detonate grenades, do splash damage etc. Also, suicide bombing does not kill a M79er with full health 99% of the time.

Offline GAMEOVER

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 12:35:44 pm »
In real life you dont run around with a barret either carl.

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 12:44:37 pm »
A soldat is alot more than 10pixels, more like 15 - 18 pixels atleast

Offline crazymonkey

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 08:57:22 pm »
Only thing I don't like about the weapon balance is how easy it is to boost with spas. I can get out of almost any situation with it.  :-X

Offline CrazyKid980

• Major(1)
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 10:15:56 pm »
Only thing I don't like about the weapon balance is how easy it is to boost with spas. I can get out of almost any situation with it. :-X
Your point?  Shotguns have HUGE recoil.  It isn't a surprize to me.

Anyways, the balance of the weapons are just fine the way they are, you just gotta stop complaining about it, and adjust to their up's and down's to each and everyone of them. (yes, that includes the M79.)         (Damn M79)

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 12:58:45 am »
I like the balance of the weapons as they are.  t made a very good point about putting the M79er under fire to raise his bink....I personally have no problem killing m79ers with my baby (HK MP5 HOO HOO). I'm not saying i dont get killed by them ever, because if i never got killed by them the m79 wouldn't be balanced. If you really think about it, you end up killing the guy with the M79 about as much as he kills you. It's just frustrating getting killed by the M79 cause you dont have a chance to retaliate if you are hit.

EDIT: I think your name is t...maybe it's a cross, sorry i can't tell lol. I didnt want to offend you
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Bgretydews

• Flagrunner
  • y halo thar rabbit
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 12:59:51 am »
The spaz doesen't make you boost THAT much, it just gives it that edge that makes it as good as the other weapons

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 01:05:27 am »
I don't understand why the M79 is such a big issue for some people in this version. It's a close range weapon and it fires a very, very slow bullet. The common sense solution is to keep your distance from it while using a longer range weapon such as an auto or a ruger. It works magic.

I can understand people's frustration more on the smaller maps, but you can counter it easily enough with an MP5 or a spas. The only thing I think might need done to the M79 is a bit more bink.