Author Topic: DePhille, SoldatPage, Soldat Webring, ... - What's up?  (Read 825 times)

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
DePhille, SoldatPage, Soldat Webring, ... - What's up?
« on: March 27, 2007, 04:20:11 pm »
Hi,

First of all, I'm sorry again for my absense. It's just that there are alot of things outside Soldat, you'll probably all understand that :)

Anyway, since I heard that alot of people have been asking for the state of (one of) my projects I'll write an update on them.

First of all, I run (or maybe 'ran', but I'm still hoping I can use the present tense here, lol) those projects on a free server called netpub. I got the hosting via-via and it's some kind of private hosting let me say. The problem is that it lacks professionality ofcourse, so I'm always the one who has or had to mail when the server was having problems.
Now, that hosting 'community' had servers in amsterdam (Netherlands) and in Texas, I was on the Amsterdam server. 'Was' , I said because the server was dieing a few weeks ago so the admin asked me if she could move my content to the Texas server instead, which she told me was running just fine.
From then off, the server has been down. I've sent alot of mails but no response yet. I'm guessing something went wrong with the migration from the Amsterdam to the Texas server, but I'm not sure.

But, I think those problems will be gone soon.
I'm planning on buying a dedicated server (a pc in a datacenter) so I can host my own projects and be my own Admin. The only problem is that those machines and connections are pretty pricey.
I'm pretty sure I'll be buying that but not I'm not 100% sure. It'll also be important if netpub stays down or goes up again - if it goes up again I'm not buying the dedicated server untill all my projects are finished, if it doesn't then there's a chance I'll be buying it earlier (depends on price and such).

Then there's yet another part to explain. If netpub has died or lost my data then SoldatPage and the SoldatPage webring are reset. This means that the webring will restart from 0 sites and SoldatPage will have no maps, mods, apps, clanlinks and so on anymore. Luckily I still have all the scripts so I don't have to rewrite the entire codes.

As for me, I'm pretty busy lately. Next year I'll be going to university (I hope, yay) and then I'll have much more time (However crazy that may sound, but I'm not going to explain that :P, otherwise no-one will read my post) to participate in the community again with some fresh ideas I had during my absense :)
Ofcourse, maybe it's possible that things magically brighten up and that I have time to come back sooner!

Grtz, DePhille
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline Silverflame

• Soldier
  • The Last Sniper
Re: DePhille, SoldatPage, Soldat Webring, ... - What's up?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 07:16:20 pm »
hope all goes well for you DePhille :)

I have mad skills, don't you?