Author Topic: Cliff-Hanging  (Read 6194 times)

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
Cliff-Hanging
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:52:54 pm »

Just a small, simple idea that I spent some time thinking on... thought it'd be surprisingly fun to have implemented, but I've no idea how hard it would be to do so, to be honest.

The idea is this:

When a Soldat is in the air, and comes across the edge of a polygon (such as with the shot above at Ash), they could tap the w button to have their Soldat grab onto the edge and hang there, much as corpses do when hooked against a polygon/sliding off of one on a ledge. Then, they can either jet (or if the map doesn't have jets, tap w again) to get up onto the polygon, or they can tap s to drop back down. It seems rather small a suggestion, but there's some benefits and cons to the people who do it:

PROS
1. In a map with ledges, this could be used for getting a peek at what's coming, rather then simply leaping into the line of fire.
2. Climbing maps could benefit from this in particular, a game of timing the jumps perfect to catch the edge of a poly, etc.
3. In TW maps with little jet, this would work to give the Soldat that extra boost needed while maintaining realism.

CONS
1. By hanging onto the wall, you're opening your Soldat up considerably than if you just stayed grounded. Without letting go of the wall, the Soldat can only aim so far with some weapons (specifically, ones that can be used with one hand), and other weapons are rendered useless without the ability to use both hands.
2. It takes that extra moment to tap w, s, or jet before you can regain full aiming capabilities... those are moments the enemy can use to their advantage.

There are others I could probably come up with for the pros and cons, but off-hand I can't recall some of the other bits I had in mind for this.

I know, it's not a neccesary addition or anything... and with work on the new version, it's doubtful that even if it were a good idea, it would be implemented. However I was curious to see what everyone thought of this, as I thought it might actually, if it WAS implemented, add for just a little extra element that prove to be both useful and fun.

Admittedly, however, this sort of an update would likely only add to particular maps and gamemodes, and not to the game overall. However, I thought it still might be worth airing the idea out :)

Soldat Name: Kazuo Kiriyama

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
Re: Cliff-Hanging
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 10:55:18 pm »
Best idea I've heard in a long time. Very nice.

Subtle, yet pretty awesome.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Blues

• Camper
  • Hum?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 11:16:31 pm »
Wow, great idea, I like it alot.

* Blues supports.
18:15

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:37:52 pm »
cons (to idea):
This might get really annoying if you're not intending to hang on to the ledge...  even if there were a certain key (or key combination) to activate hanging, it seems to get rather difficult and useless for the little amount of benefit it supplies.  Soldat is too fast-paced to be bothered by such small (insignificant) features.

I don't support this :/
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:42:26 pm »
It doesn't take very long to tap "w" though, considering it's the same button you jump with. Plus, very few people press w in mid-air... they're usually busy pressing a or d to move their Soldat in the air.

Like I said, this would probably benefit the more tactical gamemodes more, yeah... just a small idea. However on a whole I think it could still work, because using it really isn't too difficult, doesn't take much effort (again, simply pressing the jump button while in the air... think of it almost like a double-jump with the support of a ledge, really).

I can see why you wouldn't like it, but I doubt that it would detract from the fast pace of Soldat all that much at all, honestly

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 11:59:30 pm »
well u did say it'll render you more or less unable to fire your weapon and it'll also slow you down if you're trying to get down somewhere and accidentally hit a ledge.  Those few deciseconds are ever so valuable on fast-paced servers (ctf and dm especially) everyone'll just hate this feature when they realize that it cost them the match.
So conclusively, the annoying effect that it has is far too much when compared to the small benefits it gives...  sry :/
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:07:10 am »
and it will make current climb maps way too easy -disprove

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:09:46 am »
well u did say it'll render you more or less unable to fire your weapon and it'll also slow you down if you're trying to get down somewhere and accidentally hit a ledge.  Those few deciseconds are ever so valuable on fast-paced servers (ctf and dm especially) everyone'll just hate this feature when they realize that it cost them the match.
So conclusively, the annoying effect that it has is far too much when compared to the small benefits it gives...  sry :/

Don't apologize, I won't get offended if you don't agree with my idea :)

Also, again, as I said though... you wouldn't grab the ledge unless you press w. Doubtful you'd do that while falling to get down somewhere.

Those who WOULD be using it would likely want to, in all actuality.

Offline As Always

• Soldier
  • ZAKK WYLDE WOOOO
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 12:11:05 am »
Would MM need to rewrite the code for weapons, to tell the game if it is one handed or two? Wouldn't this take a while?

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 12:13:57 am »
Would MM need to rewrite the code for weapons, to tell the game if it is one handed or two? Wouldn't this take a while?

no, you could just make it so that in this pos certain guns dont shoot but that would annoy me...

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:38:12 am »
Which is exactly why I wouldn't want it to be something that happened automatically, you know? Would be something you could choose to use if you'd like to, but wouldn't have to. It's a subtle change, really... nothing that would hurt to add or not add, nothing that would hurt to not use in-game or use. Just that little bit extra added in.

Plus, if you're on a map that has limited jets, and you run out before you can reach a ledge... would be nice to just grab on and pull yourself up if you wanted to. The choice would always be the player's :)

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 03:47:10 am »
this would ruin all older climb maps ;-(
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Frenchie

• Camper
  • SoldatHQ
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 05:48:04 am »
this would ruin all older climb maps ;-(
Not near as much as the backflip has made all old maps easy.
Soldat Lobby Avec Players -New Release! - Updated AGAIN!

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 06:52:47 am »
I was gonna mention that, yeah... it'll add a new element to climbing maps if anything, and older ones were just as effected by the backflip :(

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 07:44:34 am »
I support this, really. A good idea.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 09:42:24 am »
You play R/S don't you.

for Normal Mode games, I guess it could be a way of saving up more jet while coverd. I'd support this if you can select to do that when you move off a clif, as in, you are being chased and you do are about to run off the polygon but latch onto it instead, then jetting/pulling yourself up when they get close to you.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 10:37:46 am »
Nah, it'd be annoying to accidently catch a ledge, and with jet, you really don't need this.

I suppose it'd be slightly useful for TW or climb, but there'd be polybugs (i.e, what slant would it need to be to catch? Unless you made a LOT of animations, it'd look weird in quite a few cases)
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline KingOfPing

• Major
  • You have huge mental retardation!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 10:48:21 am »
This idea has huge mental retardation. no support.
I AM cool stop making fun of me!!

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 11:12:23 am »
This idea has huge mental retardation. no support.
Could you specify that statement please?

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 11:22:59 am »
nice idea