Author Topic: Cliff-Hanging  (Read 5891 times)

Offline Killer Queen

• Major(1)
Re: Cliff-Hanging
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 02:39:10 pm »
did you get this from super smash bros /meele? seems awfuly similar, lol.

i support, but i think it could be server-side, so as not to mess up climb maps.

~iron man

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 03:23:11 pm »
Well, what is the point in holding onto a poly that kills you?

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 03:27:55 pm »
This idea has huge mental retardation. no support.
You know, I can take poor feedback... that's fine. It's even better when it's to help improve the idea, or show why it wouldn't work overall.

This though... not so much feedback, as it is flaming. If you're going to do that, at least give some reasons as to why. Because otherwise... I'm pretty sure you'll get yourself in trouble for things like that  ;)

Soldat Name: Kazuo Kiriyama

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 03:44:27 pm »
Norris, I've seen him in S&S (Snipe and Slice) and he sucks at playing the game. Feel better?
He's just saying that to cover up the size of his brain.

Offline KingOfPing

• Major
  • You have huge mental retardation!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 06:17:07 pm »
Lol*. You guys just dont get my ''huge mental retardation thing'' do you?
Heres a decent reply Norris:
I dont wana be pushing buttons to hang on to a cliff, or automatically for that matter.
Besides this would just be annoying after a while because when youre going for the
enemys flag and you grab on to ledge and then by the time youre off *Respawn time in....*

I AM cool stop making fun of me!!

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 06:29:12 pm »
That's better.

You don't have to automatically grab onto a ledge, just put it in another key, like 'Q', and move the controls so that they still feel intuitive. Grabbing on ledges saved my life countless times in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 06:44:21 pm »
Well, what is the point in holding onto a poly that kills you?
Yeah, this will ruin the fun in climbing maps. I don't see a need in cliff hanging.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 06:52:28 pm »

Giving people unhelpful and immature comments? Ya I get it.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline KingOfPing

• Major
  • You have huge mental retardation!
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2007, 09:45:41 pm »

You don't have to automatically grab onto a ledge, just put it in another key, like 'Q', and move the controls so that they still feel intuitive. Grabbing on ledges saved my life countless times in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

It would be okay if it was just an option.

Date Posted: March 17, 2007, 10:48:53 AM

Giving people unhelpful and immature comments? Ya I get it.

Yeah, I dont like immature comments! Now lets go play a bloody
game where they cuss and stuff!
I AM cool stop making fun of me!!

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2007, 09:48:46 pm »
Umm...yeah. An option that can be turned on/off depending on type of map. If it's a climb map, off. Deathmatch, on.

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 11:00:24 am »
I support. Anybody who objects is gay

Long live Nazi-Communism!

Offline waynechriss

• Major
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 12:23:14 pm »
I like this idea...a lot. It has pros and cons, and it'll benifit greatly when playing. I support this idea fully.

Offline Princess M

• Major(1)
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2007, 09:49:54 pm »
Cliff hanging in Soldat?! COOL!
Bring it

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2007, 11:46:24 pm »
I think this would fall under that "no changes to the PMS map design" clause. There is no way for the game to detect what would be a "stickable" polygon or what qualifies as a ledge when the button is pressed.

Personally, I don't think it'd be useful in a game where most maps have jet packs on its players. Soldat is too fast paced and jet oriented to have much use for grabbing walls, triangle jumped, etc. Plus, I hate the thought of campers scaling the walls high on a map, "grabbing" it, and then sniping from afar in a really difficult to reach location.

Offline {depth}shaman

• Soldier
  • I'm Warning lvl 1! So i suggest you lay low
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 12:50:38 am »
id support it, but that pikachu pisses me off. not really. Yeah. sounds cool. i d think maybe the soldat can only aim down and up at 15 degree angles while hanging. thats fifteen away to the left if the ledge is to the right. COuldn't fire during the pull up to stand up on ledge, and couldn't pullup while firing. unfortunately its probably way to hard to code.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 12:52:35 am by {depth}shaman »
Life's like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit goes down with each bite.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 01:41:11 am »
I think this would fall under that "no changes to the PMS map design" clause. There is no way for the game to detect what would be a "stickable" polygon or what qualifies as a ledge when the button is pressed.

Personally, I don't think it'd be useful in a game where most maps have jet packs on its players. Soldat is too fast paced and jet oriented to have much use for grabbing walls, triangle jumped, etc. Plus, I hate the thought of campers scaling the walls high on a map, "grabbing" it, and then sniping from afar in a really difficult to reach location.

Good point, Domino. Maybe the idea could be used in a infiltration server? These are slower-paced.

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 08:18:15 pm »

Well, what I was thinking was actually based off of the way that the ragdoll of the Soldat's corpse reacts when clinging to an edge. You might notice how the Soldat's body just sort of flops off the edge, yet some of them actually dangle by a body part or just simply hang there. I don't know how hard it would be to code something for a living Soldat to mimic the actions of the corpse on a ledge, but that was my initial idea.

Soldat Name: Kazuo Kiriyama

Offline X-Rayz

• Camper
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 01:26:00 am »
I think this'd be cool. I've also got another thing to add to it, how about blind firing. Like firing a gun one handed, no matter what it is. Obviously, your aim would be erratic, but not enough so that people wouldn't even bother with it.

Offline valion

• Soldier
  • you may run, you may hide. but still he comes
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 07:04:19 am »
i support this idea as its fair and useful. running low on jets, grap hold of a ledge, hold on for a while push off again. whole time your more vulnerable and can only use a secondary realy.
only real downside is trying to implement it without people grapping hold of the ceiling or the ground. plus you might end up with campers clinging onto the back of a building, waiting till someone goes past and emptying a clip into their back (realistic). but as i said i think its good 'cause it allows you a bit more strategy and a bit more movement thourgh out the map
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline Deranged Duck

• Major(1)
    • ~!ELITE LEGION~ Homepage
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 09:38:54 am »
The biggest problem is the campers. I'd suppose you could make it hurt. I guess It would be good on some maps but not on all. So its just to hard to decide right now.
~!ELITE LEGION