Author Topic: Cliff-Hanging  (Read 5896 times)

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
Re: Cliff-Hanging
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2007, 10:58:58 pm »
If there was a way you could time it where, server-side, a cliff-hanging time could be implemented. Hang on for too long and then your Soldat grows too tired and loses grip/falls.

Soldat Name: Kazuo Kiriyama

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2007, 11:25:02 pm »
Ya but then, when your character gets tired and fall off, campers would just simply jet right back up.

Offline valion

• Soldier
  • you may run, you may hide. but still he comes
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2007, 03:08:52 am »
yah. i still think its a great idea. perhaps you only have about 5 seconds hang time, then you start to take damege cause the players getting tired and their arms are hurting
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2007, 10:31:06 am »
It needs to be kept simple, no "5 second rule".

If you keep it simple, it's easier for MM to implement.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2007, 12:03:46 am »
I think this would fall under that "no changes to the PMS map design" clause. There is no way for the game to detect what would be a "stickable" polygon or what qualifies as a ledge when the button is pressed.
Well, what I was thinking was actually based off of the way that the ragdoll of the Soldat's corpse reacts when clinging to an edge.

The corpses land on ground and only wrap around ledges since they are horizontally prone and limp. They are not "detecting" ledges or any such thing, and that's the problem with the idea. The game does not distinguish polygons from their positioning or size. The only way this would happen is with a map system change which has been stated will never happen.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2007, 12:11:03 am »
Maps are also created by code, and everybody knows that soldiers will be able to grab on 90 degree-angled slopes or lower degree.

Offline Protoman

• Soldier
  • ~whistle~
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2007, 07:24:02 pm »
This reminds me of the Megaman X series. You get to hang on walls and jump off of them. Its a nice idea, however in Megaman, you slide down walls. I would enjoy either move.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2007, 05:44:58 pm »
Maps are also created by code, and everybody knows that soldiers will be able to grab on 90 degree-angled slopes or lower degree.
Exactly what I was going to say. It wouldn't be that hard.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2007, 12:28:16 am »
I'm not exactly sure about the map file structure, but I think that the polygons(triangles) are coded bye X/Y/Z in terms of vertices. Also, we know that sometimes polygons overlap, or connect.. That's a fair bit of geometry to have to figure out how to code, even assuming it is possible to get an angle measure.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline valion

• Soldier
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2007, 01:38:09 am »
it would be much easier to have a new polygon type. one where touching it casuses you to grap it.
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2007, 03:06:34 am »
But that would end up modifying the pms format?

Offline Cpt_Kabs

• Major(1)
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2007, 03:11:34 am »
i think its a pretty sweet idea but could get annoying

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2007, 06:18:10 am »
Maps are created by triangles, the simplest form of geometry. It wouldn't be hard to figure out the distance from a-to-b, from b-to-c, and from c-to-a, and find the angles that way.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2007, 03:27:36 pm »
It would only be feasible for a fast-paced game like Soldat on one condition:  Grabbing is automatic and quick.  What do I mean by this?  Don't make it an explicit option for the player.  If the player is jetting and he hits a corner, have him pull himself up automatically.  Otherwise, it's to slow and complicated (considering the pace of Soldat).  Besides, if you're hanging there, you're an easy target, and no one wants to be that.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2007, 04:24:01 pm »
Maps are created by triangles, the simplest form of geometry. It wouldn't be hard to figure out the distance from a-to-b, from b-to-c, and from c-to-a, and find the angles that way.

My point is that this idea would require heavy modification of several things in order for it to work.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2007, 04:27:27 pm »

Just a small, simple idea that I spent some time thinking on... thought it'd be surprisingly fun to have implemented, but I've no idea how hard it would be to do so, to be honest.

The idea is this:

When a Soldat is in the air, and comes across the edge of a polygon (such as with the shot above at Ash), they could tap the w button to have their Soldat grab onto the edge and hang there, much as corpses do when hooked against a polygon/sliding off of one on a ledge. Then, they can either jet (or if the map doesn't have jets, tap w again) to get up onto the polygon, or they can tap s to drop back down. It seems rather small a suggestion, but there's some benefits and cons to the people who do it:

PROS
1. In a map with ledges, this could be used for getting a peek at what's coming, rather then simply leaping into the line of fire.
2. Climbing maps could benefit from this in particular, a game of timing the jumps perfect to catch the edge of a poly, etc.
3. In TW maps with little jet, this would work to give the Soldat that extra boost needed while maintaining realism.

CONS
1. By hanging onto the wall, you're opening your Soldat up considerably than if you just stayed grounded. Without letting go of the wall, the Soldat can only aim so far with some weapons (specifically, ones that can be used with one hand), and other weapons are rendered useless without the ability to use both hands.
2. It takes that extra moment to tap w, s, or jet before you can regain full aiming capabilities... those are moments the enemy can use to their advantage.

There are others I could probably come up with for the pros and cons, but off-hand I can't recall some of the other bits I had in mind for this.

I know, it's not a neccesary addition or anything... and with work on the new version, it's doubtful that even if it were a good idea, it would be implemented. However I was curious to see what everyone thought of this, as I thought it might actually, if it WAS implemented, add for just a little extra element that prove to be both useful and fun.

Admittedly, however, this sort of an update would likely only add to particular maps and gamemodes, and not to the game overall. However, I thought it still might be worth airing the idea out :)

I see that not only I changed ctf_Ash a bit, but back to the debate, the walls should be either bade of ice or be slanted in such angle that u will not be able to "hang in there baby"
Text goes here...

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2007, 03:24:11 pm »
BAD idea
think about all the clibm maps that are going to be ruined because of this

Offline valion

• Soldier
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2007, 06:08:23 am »
thats y i think a new polygon type would be the best way to implement this. that way it wont effect the old maps