Author Topic: Serious Question  (Read 4435 times)

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
Re: Serious Question
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2007, 07:15:51 pm »
I was in a similar situation my senior year in high school. My prom date would not consider a serious relationship unless I converted to the Mormon religion. I had no problem respecting her religion, giving up caffeine and going to church. What I couldn't consider was completely dropping my family religion of Quakerism along with my personal beliefs. I am against censorship, for gay rights, and pro choice... all things which her church was against.

After a lot of discussion, we decided to go our separate ways.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
Re: Serious Question
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2007, 11:27:18 pm »
"I believe I know the truth, and I love you, and I only want what's best for you.". The situation is simple - if he doesn't convert, they can't get married, so the relationship is moot.

I don't like that answer. It sounds like she is trying to press her religion onto him. As an atheist, I don't go around to my girlfriend telling her God doesn't exist, and that her beliefs are ridiculous, and she doesn't poke at my religion either.

It's like a different taste in food, you go to a restaurant and if you don't like the food, you don't eat it. But you don't stop other people from eating it either. (Do not yell at me for comparing food to religion, I'm hungry)

If they really went as far as to want marry each other, I think they should get married outside of the Church if they really love each other. A simple thing such as faith should not deter them from expressing that. But it isn't my opinion that counts, it's your friends. If she doesn't want to get married solely on the fact that he is pagan, then it's up to your friend do decide if he is ok with that, or if he wants more out of the relationship.