Author Topic: Hey everyone, posting from my new sh*t computer.  (Read 1022 times)

Offline ThunderPantz

• Camper
  • My avatar rules you.
Hey everyone, posting from my new sh*t computer.
« on: March 15, 2007, 12:23:36 am »
Hey, i'm posting from my new computer.... it sucks way worse than my old one.
I'm only using this one because my other one fried.

It was  my best gaming computer and it died. That sucks the big one.

On this one it's waaaaay sloooooow and i can barely open up folders without having to wait 5 seconds.

My old computer kept having these stop errors and wouldn't restart, 0x000000ED
And eventually it wouldn't work. I can only retrieve my stuff from my old hard drive also.

My old computer had a 64 megabit video card, this one has 32... (Sux0r for me )

also the old ram fried in the process.. my good 1 gig ram stick. now it's back to 256 ram.

well life's hard.

LET THE BASH PIT LIVE ON.
Smoking doesn't kill people, cancer and tobacco does.

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
Re: Hey everyone, posting from my new sh*t computer.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:51:03 am »
512mb Ram shoudldn't cost you more than 120$ for super high end, and a decent video card might go for 200.

300$ might seem like a ton of cash, and it is, but not if you really want it. Just go around making random bits of money. 5$ jobs really stack up.

Offline Mikeman

• Soldier
    • Nuke Corruption
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 02:57:57 am »
But u must be sure does your motherboard support the new videocard if you buy one  :P

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 06:18:18 am »
It might take 5 seconds to open a folder because the drive in your new pc is slow or in the process of dying (drives only last like 1 - 3 years).

I would tell you to replace it if you wanted more speed and space. (plus you could add more of a swap file to a bigger drive giving you more virtual RAM)
There are other worlds than these

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 06:35:49 am »
defrag/reformat?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 08:31:57 am »
It might take 5 seconds to open a folder because the drive in your new pc is slow or in the process of dying (drives only last like 1 - 3 years).

I would tell you to replace it if you wanted more speed and space. (plus you could add more of a swap file to a bigger drive giving you more virtual RAM)

It isn't really accurate to say that drives last 1-3 years.  Between all of my computers, I have around 80 hard drives, most of which are older than 3 years.

If he only has 256MB of RAM, the odds are that he is using swap (virtual RAM).  This in itself is going to SLOW the computer down A LOT. 

If you want to make your old computer faster, add at least another 256MB of RAM.  Once a computer starts using virtual RAM, it is going to be very, very slow.

Here is a summary of the reason why:
RAM is fast: one operation in RAM takes nanoseconds.  One operation on a hard drive takes a few milliseconds.  Thats over a million times slower.

The only reason virtual RAM (on your hard drive) is used at all is to keep your computer from crashing the instant your RAM isn't enough.  256MB of RAM is not really enough to do anything on a computer running windows XP.  Computer manufacturers only sell computers with this much so that customers will be forced to upgrade, likely buying the upgrade from the same place they bought the computer if they don't know any better.

Offline Carlitos

• Camper
  • Dont Give Up
    • Mr.Pants adventures on Soldat
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 08:44:18 am »
lol i understand u thunderpantaz :P

I had a pc i bought on 2000 and only last year i upgraded it with 90% discount of price due to some friends. So my old super badass pc had:
*Less them 200MB RAM
*Only 18GB hard drive
*Badass graphics card
*Windows ME (worst windows system ever!!!!)

Now, with upgrade that it had last September 2006:
*650MB RAM (its good)
*80GB Hard drive
*new graphic cards
*Windows XP

all this with 90 discount :)

So i understand what is having a slow and bad computer, i suffered a lot with my old pc grrr i had some anger attacks with it :P
---See the advantures of Mr.Pants and others in soldat---
http://www.youtube.com/TugaSoldatTV
-------------------------------
Amen
-------------------------------

Offline Dascoo

• Soldier
  • banned from the forums
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 10:24:55 am »
Aaaaaae man that would be the epic suckage. Lucky for me, instead of my new computer blowing up, my old one literally blew up.

UnReQuitLo
ɹǝƃuɐɥɔɹǝƃıu

Offline ThunderPantz

• Camper
  • My avatar rules you.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 05:42:08 pm »
yeah.. my dad put in new ram instead of my old one too.... im gona ask for a ram swap or just more ram.

LET THE BASH PIT LIVE ON.
Smoking doesn't kill people, cancer and tobacco does.

Offline Jæson

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 03:12:16 am »
I have a very horrible computer and I wish I had a better one.

128MB RAM
Intergrated Graphics Card ( Old and shat. )
20GB Primary
8GB Secondary
Windows ME

When I leave for Germany ( visiting Sister, + Wacken Open Air ) I'm going to raise some money and see if I can get a custom built computer from my cousin. I've seen his setup before and it was amazing, I want to see if he can make one for me.

But yeah, I feel your pain Electric Slacks. You're only on vacation in shitty computer world. I live here.
Miss your shots, miss your chance.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 07:36:38 pm »
oh... oh my... oh dear...

don't you people ever upgrade to anything? the raw material in that computer is better then that pile of shit you call a computer!
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan