Author Topic: newbie server  (Read 1972 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
newbie server
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:04:35 am »
I think it is important for soldat to have a few noob servers (where good people are unwelcome or banned) so that noobs actually have a chance to stay alive for more than a second.  Noobs who at first like soldat's uniqueness are quickly turned off when they see that they can't do anything and are totally thrown out of the competition (even if it is just for fun).  The server should be called like "newbie server" and should disallow good gamers from joining.  I know Michal (desperately) wants new people joining because every new user is a potential addition to his funds plus there'll definitely be an increase in the soldat community in general!

Waddaya think?
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Kahuna

• Major(1)
Re: newbie server
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 10:11:29 am »
Yeah, this is probably a good idea. But wouldn't those servers be full all the time? And how will it be determined if someone is a good player or not?
Ruger owns mk?

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:40:08 am »
well have an active admin determine if someone is too good and ask him to leave or ban him.  And if there are a few of those servers then they won't be that full all the time.
btw, I hate hackers

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:48:36 am »
I personally think there should be a lobby for unregistered users, and ofcourse a lobby for registered users only. I kinda get what you're saying though.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 11:42:53 am »
The server should be called like "newbie server" and should disallow good gamers from joining.  I know Michal (desperately) wants new people joining because every new user is a potential addition to his funds plus there'll definitely be an increase in the soldat community in general!

Waddaya think?

This already is provided by the public servers. Public servers are a great place to see people of all skill levels play, and it is the only way to expose new players to more advanced weapon usage and techniques needed for them to see what is possible within the game. Keeping new players sequestered in some "'newbie server'" would just breed people who think Barret camping makes them some "1337" Soldat god since they'll never be challenged to improve. Such a server would not offer anything over playing against dumb bots off-line as well as be impossible to manage. So, no. :P

Offline AND1

• Major
  • I like it
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 11:54:33 am »
I personally think there should be a lobby for unregistered users, and ofcourse a lobby for registered users only. I kinda get what you're saying though.

Yes but many ppl didnt pay for the reg key + many noobs got it too.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:58:20 am »
The server should be called like "newbie server" and should disallow good gamers from joining. I know Michal (desperately) wants new people joining because every new user is a potential addition to his funds plus there'll definitely be an increase in the soldat community in general!

Waddaya think?

This already is provided by the public servers. Public servers are a great place to see people of all skill levels play, and it is the only way to expose new players to more advanced weapon usage and techniques needed for them to see what is possible within the game. Keeping new players sequestered in some "'newbie server'" would just breed people who think Barret camping makes them some "1337" Soldat god since they'll never be challenged to improve. Such a server would not offer anything over playing against dumb bots off-line as well as be impossible to manage. So, no. :P

Uhm, they're gonna get kicked out eventually and forced to play on more advanced servers - that's the whole point.  Newbie servers are meant to train them till they get used to the game...

That's silly - Then I won't be able to play with friends who are unregistered.  And unregistered people won't want to register because then they can't play with their old buddies anymore.  That idea is ...bad.

Offline genex

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 12:08:06 pm »
come onto our server!! :D

195.170.173.170 default port Diversity-Esports UK sodlat server

Basically all the members of this clan bar 2 have only been playing soldat a few weeks, no shit :p :)

Have some fun laughs on there and some good close noob matches :D

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 06:38:18 pm »

I think that is a horrible idea and doesn't benefit anyone.  Many people registered and unregistered either really suck or are really good, respectively.  There are also many people (like me) who have registered but don't currently have the registration key "installed" out of laziness.  I registered to support the game, and I get the same fuzzy feeling regardless of whether I have the star or not ;)

Offline Brock

• Flagrunner
  • [GG]StrykeR
    • Gunner Guards Clansite
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 08:25:49 am »
I don't understand what being registered has to do with being good.

But yeah... 

U13 NOOBS ONLY1!

Elite! Noobs!  ??   ;)
"What is the Matrix? Control. The Matrix is a
computer-generated dream world built to keep us
under control in order to - wait, what?"

Offline phox

• Major(1)
  • Back! : o
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 04:41:30 pm »
come onto our server!! :D

195.170.173.170 default port Diversity-Esports UK sodlat server

Basically all the members of this clan bar 2 have only been playing soldat a few weeks, no **** :p :)

Have some fun laughs on there and some good close noob matches :D

Played there for a while, the blues hacked. :(

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 07:24:14 pm »
Uhm, they're gonna get kicked out eventually and forced to play on more advanced servers - that's the whole point.  Newbie servers are meant to train them till they get used to the game...

Off-line is for training and getting used to the game. Still, you will not see anyone backflipping, proning in air, rolling, moving through the maps hitting all the good angles for speed, etc. until you start playing on-line, and until that happens, the new player will not improve having never witnessed what is possible with the game. What you are suggesting would be similar to a special version of Street Fighter II for the new players unable to perform special moves or pose any threat. How boring that would be and a waste of their time playing.

As far as getting kicked, I have never seen a person kicked myself before due to not being good enough. The team as always just suffered through it as most games and days the teams will average out for the most part.

I get the same fuzzy feeling regardless of whether I have the star or not ;)

I'm sure this is a big problem for you now. :P

Offline ^_^

• Soldier
  • AKA Charlotte :-D
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 07:30:24 pm »
So let me get this straight... You basically want a server where everyone flys around with m79s not having any clue what they are doing? ???
In-Game names: Charlotte, Gin Fox, Agent Sonnata.
Current Mod Project: The Dark Lament.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 09:14:54 pm »
So let me get this straight... You basically want a server where everyone flys around with m79s not having any clue what they are doing? ???

Well, the "not having any clue what they are doing" is partially correct.  Here they can learn the basics of maneuvering and are encouraged to try new things such as weapons, etc.  Once they got the hang of this game they will have to join regular servers and should be banned after a while from noob servers.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 09:40:21 pm »
I think for the first, say 5 games people compete in there should be only like, 10 servers of diff game types that noone past 5 games can join. Just to get the hang of it.

Offline JohnCena

• Soldier
  • Down since day one!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 02:18:30 am »
Why dont they just play with bots for starters?
You want some come get some!