Author Topic: SOCOM  (Read 7868 times)

Offline Horang

• Major(1)
SOCOM
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:18:34 pm »
M79 and Barret can't even be compared to the Socom in terms of balance, this pistol is in a league of it's own for what it's meant to be.

Playing in a realistic server earlier, I was getting maybe 4 or 5 kills to 1 death only using this pistol. This was against all sorts of weapons. Steyr, AK, M79 etc etc. Hell, I was killing Deagle users easier than they were killing me.

They didn't suck either. This weapon needs to be looked at as it is way too powerful for just a secondary weapon.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: SOCOM
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:57:02 pm »
its a sidearm, it should be much less accurate thats all.

then it would still fill it's purpose (finishing people off/sidearm for 1htklz)
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:57:11 pm »
Out of all the weapons, you choose the Socom? Seriously now... someone else made a thread about it here a while ago, too... :-\

Well, in the current experimental balance, the Socom has 1 point less damage, if that makes you happy. 1 point actually has a bigger difference than you think, due to how damage is actually calculated in Soldat.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:13:19 pm »
Socom rocks the boat....Its true. But when you compare it to the LAW, Knife, and Chainsaw...(in terms of the One hit killz) you can see the reason why its so powerful.
In a deathmatch/small map game, the socom is the best gun to carry, simply because it does the job. The socom is powerful, only because its better than the M79, or Barret.

Tip: Carry a socom with any auto/Barret....If you miss a shot, whip out your ( Don't get dirty thoughts ::) ) Socom, and blast his ass (hey, I made a rhyme!!). 2-3 shots garuntee that he won't get far....maybe pop him one again, just incase.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline R0L4ND

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 07:21:40 am »
Ha ha, yeah right...

Nerf the Socom after you take care of the Barrett and M79.
All across the country shortages of marijuana are now being reported.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 08:42:26 pm »
In a deathmatch/small map game, the socom is the best gun to carry, simply because it does the job.
Disagree, I think that in a small game the knife is best, in übersmall games the saw, medium the socom and large maps the LAW or socom does best.
While the socom is good for finishing it really doesn't hurt much with each shot. You will not beat a good AK player with a socom.

Offline Silverflame

• Soldier
  • The Last Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 08:51:33 pm »
Socom rocks the boat....Its true. But when you compare it to the LAW, Knife, and Chainsaw...(in terms of the One hit killz) you can see the reason why its so powerful.
In a deathmatch/small map game, the socom is the best gun to carry, simply because it does the job. The socom is powerful, only because its better than the M79, or Barret.

Tip: Carry a socom with any auto/Barret....If you miss a shot, whip out your ( Don't get dirty thoughts ::) ) Socom, and blast his ass (hey, I made a rhyme!!). 2-3 shots garuntee that he won't get far....maybe pop him one again, just incase.

i believe (in my opinion) from using knife the most, i feel better using it then socom :P i used to use socom 99% of time and started using knife, just the feel of tossing that sucker in someones eye :P
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 08:56:27 pm by Silverflame »

I have mad skills, don't you?

Offline Duke

• Major
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 02:39:03 am »
i always use the SOCOM, as soon as my primary is down and iam under fire i wip out the little bastered and get a few quick kills... either that or its good just to use as a primary by itself if you can manage that.

Offline decoy.

• Soldier
  • All in the mind.
    • Paradigis
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 09:33:33 am »
Well I do find socom to be a reliable weapon and it is one of my favorites, but I must disagree with the opinion that it is THE best weapon to make use of. To say, if you are going up against a mp5 and you can't adjust your aim quick enough to match your opponent's positioning then the spraying from that second weapon, the mp5 (if I got it right) is sure enough to do away with you. Plus another thing to keep in mind is that, although it's good for a side weapon, it's range is the porrest out of the regular weapons (that excludes the spaz flank cannon #5, m79, law and knife)  by slight. If anything, as iDante has said, it's a good finishing weapon. I would use it occasionally when I would want to appear unarmed with a lack of nades and a primary weapon to pop up with a socom. But I would not place my life on it as a first thought.

Note that this is comming from someone who's favorite weapon is the socom. It has reasonable range regardless of what it falls short of. It's the second fastest loading weapon (the first being #5 spaz I believe since one moment of reloading can set up for a shot). I know that in realistic, 4 hits from the socom can kill. I wonder if 2 headshots can do the same. And 12 shots can suffice for a good finisher after supplying damage with another weapon that has run out of amunition. =P
[FF|LL|HE[Cide/Decoy/Not Batman!:
[[ 300.91m | sniping distance
[[ 85:0 | kill:death ratio
[[ us.socom | favorite weapon

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 10:35:21 am »
SOCOM is comparable to the Deagles.
SOCOM needs self bink.
SOCOM is too overpowered, yet underused.

If the socom was given selfbink, or something that made it less accurate.. I'd be fine with it, but in it's current state I think it is to powerful.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Protoman

• Soldier
  • ~whistle~
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 07:35:23 pm »
I believe it is fine. Its slow bullet speed, 'less damage than an HK' aspect and slower firing rate makes it a sturdy weapon to use.

If it was to become a Primary, however, It should be more like a Raptor 5.0 and fire faster bullets with more strength.

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 06:10:46 am »
Maybe it could need some movement acc. but that's it.

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 01:17:39 pm »
Why would you want to nerf a gun that is pretty much unused?

Whatever, just because it's a sidearm doesn't mean it has to suck.

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 01:26:43 pm »
Eh i hate all sidearms... I carry an aug with another aug or an aug with a spas... I make it a point to drop my sidearm when ever i kill someone using a weapon i need so's i can pick theres up and own 2xs more than usual lol.

But alot of the time i forget which one im currently using and try to fire a spas like an aug lol I usually die at that point.
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 10:55:32 pm »
Why would you want to nerf a gun that is pretty much unused?

Whatever, just because it's a sidearm doesn't mean it has to suck.

It doesn't have to suck.  It does, however, need to be balanced, and it's a little too powerful right now.  I actually like Zamorak's self-bink suggestion -- adding just a little self-bink would help offset its big magazine and insanely fast reload.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 03:28:57 am »
I prefer to use the saw as it's shock tactics work well with my Minimi, plus the chainsword gives it a good Warhammer feel.

I really don't have a problem with the SOCOM, as it balences out the one-hit-kill weapons.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline General Meevious

• Major
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 07:52:22 pm »
the socom is definitely the most powerful secondary, though many would claim that it's lack of 1-hittiness is crippling compared to the other weapons, i would argue that LAW has a huuuge reload time and often doesn't register, you have to go and find your knife after you throw it and it's only 1 hit within a certain range, if you hold it down (unless you're a long way above someone) and saw has to actually connect with the enemy's soldat and is not 1-hit however you want to call it, it's just very heavy rapid fire. socom is quick loading, has range and can often kill before a knife hits.

Offline excruciator

• Veteran
  • Asshole by Nature
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 08:48:22 pm »
socom is fine the way it is. Yes it is a powerful weapon but on the flip side its really hard to make 6 hits. There is virtually no weapon that is harder to use than socom(I hope I'm right). and the pro and cons balance out perfectly
Always remember the succubus...

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 10:42:12 pm »
Yeah, it is a very powerful weapon but you need pretty decent judgement to use it. If your shooting at someone further away the bullets will become useless as they curve a **** load. It's only very effective when your enemy is closer.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 01:17:06 am »
I use it when I'm tryin to M79 someone. I pop a quick shot for a base assault with the M79 for clearing, then rush in with the Socom. That's when the fun starts.

It is indeed a VERY useful weapon, and can be used like a primary. Hell, I owned a spraying MP5 straight in the face with it in DM a few days ago. And he was hitting me plenty, too.

It could very well be unbalanced, but I like it. Just like the M1 Garand in Call of Duty Multiplayer: It's EXTREMELY UNBALANCED, but very fun to own with. No one can stand up to it. It's UBER accurate and fires faster than the pistols do. And it does a huge amount of damage: Two shots.

Otherwords: If you play Call of Duty Multiplayer, be American whenever possible. The M1 Garand is the best weapon in the game.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!