Author Topic: Computers sound messed up..?  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Commander Kitsune

• Soldier
  • Kits
Computers sound messed up..?
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:46:18 pm »
For some strange reason my computer is distorting the sound. The sound is high- pitched. I have no idea why. I tried using another set of speakers, but no luck. I looked around control panel, and again. No luck. Is this just a temporary thing? It isn't horrible. But it's really irritating listening to anything on my computer.

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
Re: Computers sound messed up..?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:55:46 pm »
Something probably happened to your sound card.  Probably will have to buy a new one, but you could try posting on a tech forum for some help.  Try starting a thread here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/

EDIT: Is this for all sound ports, or just one.  Some computers have different ports, see if there is a port to plug in headphones and see if the sound through a headphone port is distorted also.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 05:32:41 pm »
this sounds like a hardware problem (just adding my two cents)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:32:57 pm »
Did you recently update your sound card's drivers? Have you used System Restore to go back to a time before your sound card had adequate drivers?
There are other worlds than these

• Soldier
  • Kits
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:44:56 pm »
It's in the right port. I know that for sure. It might be the Sound card. As far as I know, it's either really old (4+ years) or quite new (less than a year). So far, this is only happening with music files. Soldat sounds perfect, and other non-music sounds are fine. I'll wait it out and see if it continues.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 05:47:19 pm »
You can pick up sound cards pretty cheap, might just wanna do that and see if the problem continues.
@ii

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 06:00:15 pm »
It's in the right port. I know that for sure. It might be the Sound card. As far as I know, it's either really old (4+ years) or quite new (less than a year). So far, this is only happening with music files. Soldat sounds perfect, and other non-music sounds are fine. I'll wait it out and see if it continues.

Music sounds being .mp3s and non-music sounds being .wavs?

• Soldier
  • Kits
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 06:17:25 pm »
.wavs are fine, .mp3 extensions seem to be the only problem.

Ok, I take that back, all sound is distorted.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 06:20:50 pm by Commander Kitsune »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 08:00:10 pm »
buy a sound card.

they are usually not expensive unless you want some 7.1 surround sound super-subwoofer breaking ultra sound with [insert high number here] [insert prefix here]hertz.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 08:14:09 pm »
Here's something that might do the trick luv. If you're playing music in winamp, or anything similiar i suppose, and thats the only thing screwing up, you might want to check the equaliser.

Many mp3/media players come with things called equalisers. Put simply, an equaliser is a range of adjustable sliders that can be set to increase or decrease different levels of hertz, aka: bass and treble.  Look around the options of whatever you're using to play music, and have a look around for this equaliser and set it to default, switch it off, or set all the sliders to around the middle.

Otherwise, try using another programme to play music with, and see if the same shit happens there.
MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.