Author Topic: Possible solution to the 1 hit kill problem?  (Read 14942 times)

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
Possible solution to the 1 hit kill problem?
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:24:15 pm »
Ok, I've been playing mods a lot lately and I think that the solution to our problem lies within them. Mods are often broken with lots of deadly weapons. However, no one complains about the weapons. Many people use 1 hit kill weapons like barret and M79, and a lot of others use autos. Both kinds of weapons are effective and both kinds are not considered unbalanced. The current problem is that with many weapons, it can take many shots to kill someone, while a M79er/barreter/knifer can just come along and boom, you're dead. The solution isnt to make the barret and M79 harder to use. The solution is to follow what weapons mods do and make weapons more powerful. If say the Ak 74 was...say 20 or 30% stronger, it would kill faster. Now, if we did this with all weapons, it would make them more balanced. 1 hit weapons would not need all kinds of restrictions, and autos would not need to have to kill with like 7-10 shots.

In short, my idea is that since a few weapons can be seen as broken, to make the other weapons more powerful to even the playing field.

EDIT: The only possible problem I can see with this idea is that it could cause more random sprayers....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:26:13 pm by JonWood007 »

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
Re: Possible solution to the 1 hit kill problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:29:10 pm »
There isnt a problem with 1 hit kill weapons. The only 1 hit kill weapon that is unbalanced is the grenades, and thats it.
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:39:49 pm »
1-hit kill weapons are balanced with bink, reload time, and the abilty to shoot down a sniper with auto if the sniper is using a barrett. M79 is balanced with self-damage and low range.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:42:46 pm »
There isnt a problem with 1 hit kill weapons. The only 1 hit kill weapon that is unbalanced is the grenades, and thats it.
aye!
the m79 is really not as bad as you first see, just use some tactics and manuver too far away from them.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 02:55:37 pm »
One and only solution for 1 hit kill weapons

Listening?

Might want to write this down!

Got a pen?

No I can wait

Ok ready?

Here goes...

Learn to move around them! Once you do they will miss that one shot can you have up to 3 seconds to unload your clip and nades upon the poor soul. Take it from a m79er if you know how to move you can kill any one hit wonder in any server.

@ii

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 03:07:31 pm »
The solution isnt to make the barret and M79 harder to use. The solution is to follow what weapons mods do and make weapons more powerful. If say the Ak 74 was...say 20 or 30% stronger, it would kill faster. Now, if we did this with all weapons, it would make them more balanced. 1 hit weapons would not need all kinds of restrictions, and autos would not need to have to kill with like 7-10 shots.

Translation: The solution is to play realistic mode.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

6th_account

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 03:10:17 pm »
Call me crazy, but I miss the days where you didn't have to adapt your play that much by slowing down or start spraying to fight against 1-hit killers, just rush on. I do agree that most semis and autos should deal more damage and 1-hitters should have less boring nerfs applied on them. But no one in the beta crew would accept such radical changes. They just want small fixes and nerfs.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 03:15:11 pm »
I like the balance of 1.2.1 the best. Things were much faster paced, and there truly was a balance. Albeit, it did need some changes, but I don't think that the ones 12.1.>1.3 were very good.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 10:50:50 am »
Call me crazy, but I miss the days where you didn't have to adapt your play that much by slowing down or start spraying to fight against 1-hit killers, just rush on. I do agree that most semis and autos should deal more damage and 1-hitters should have less boring nerfs applied on them. But no one in the beta crew would accept such radical changes. They just want small fixes and nerfs.

I Dont think people slow down and spray to fight against 1-hit killers, they do it because it is the superior and easiest tactic in this version(And the past 3-4 versions to be frank). Why rush in and get killed by someone who has better accuracy than you, when you can stay back, spray them, go back for meds, reload and then just kill the little health they have when they come into your base or spray and then rush so you have to deal with people with less health. People spray against every weapon, because its easy as **** to do, not because its good against 1-hit killers.

Also, back in the day, 1.1.5 and before, im not sure if weapons had more power or less, but there used to be 1 defender on every team that would stay in base. This is the case now with Ak-74, which is the most powerful auto. ak74 users can defend/float/stay in base and pick off 2 main routers each time with 1 clip because you only need like 7 shots to kill. The reason they can defend is because they can kill 2 and alot of times all 3 people in 1 clip.. So I dont think the rushing/defending problem can be explained away with weak weapons, because that logic works both ways.

Also in terms of the beta crew, I thought you were the only one incharge of the weapons modifications, bujt seems as if im wrong. If the members of the beta team who play soldat once every week are still playing a role in this.. I expect a very balanced next version  [retard]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 10:59:49 am by Poop »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline Tai

• Major
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 12:37:51 pm »
Yeah, when M79ers and Barreters use that one shot in a team game against a group, it's hard to reload again against autos.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 12:47:04 pm by Tai »

Offline Protoman

• Soldier
  • ~whistle~
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 07:26:46 pm »
When it comes to one shot kill, I believe the only fair weapons that have this effect are the knife and barret. The M79 delivers death too easily, even with self damage.

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 08:00:55 pm »
Even the knife can be overpowered sometimes. I hate the knife in deathmatch. Nothing annoys me more in soldat then me chipping away at people's health with autos that require killing people with like 10 hits and some dude just blows me away with 1. 1 on 1, the M79 normally wins unless he gets unlucky (which in my experience, many dont).

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 08:23:59 pm »
the M79 normally wins unless he gets unlucky (which in my experience, many dont).

M79'rs do not win Deathmatches, unless the deathmatch is 1v1 and the m79 guy is palying like a pussy. I have never seen a m79 user win a deathmatch (Other than very good clan players, in which case you would die even if they dont use m79) Yes, it is annoying when a 1-hit kills you after you weaken them and expect to kill them, but thats just too bad, the game cannot have everything which appeals to you, or any other single person for that matter.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 04:49:35 pm »
Ive seen M79ers rack up kills like crazy. barreters and knifers too.

Offline Silverflame

• Soldier
  • The Last Sniper
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 05:58:54 pm »
barreters with knifes = hard sometimes to kill :P

I have mad skills, don't you?

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 07:09:49 pm »
Even the knife can be overpowered sometimes. I hate the knife in deathmatch. Nothing annoys me more in soldat then me chipping away at people's health with autos that require killing people with like 10 hits and some dude just blows me away with 1.
Oh wow. Besides Chainsaw and Fists, I'd say the Knife takes the most skill to use. You're seriously saying it can sometimes be overpowered just people manage to kill you with it? :-\

1 on 1, the M79 normally wins unless he gets unlucky...
If you're facing an M79er with a Ruger, (And he can't use anything else) who do you think is gonna win? It's all about selecting the right weapon on the right map to come out on top. Let's also say the map is on Shau or Bigfalls. You have 3x advantages over him.

If you're playing in Arena 2 or 3, Tropicave, Ratcave, Nuubia, or other small maps, yes, the M79 will seem to be overpowered. Just try whatever you can to beat the guy despite the small amount of room there is to maneuver.

To all M79 complainers: Yes, we get it. Yes, the M79 can seem cheap. It can be annoying. It can be frustrating. You can scream "noob m79er" all you want...

Is that gonna make the guy die? No.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 10:10:30 pm »
Even the knife can be overpowered sometimes. I hate the knife in deathmatch. Nothing annoys me more in soldat then me chipping away at people's health with autos that require killing people with like 10 hits and some dude just blows me away with 1. 1 on 1, the M79 normally wins unless he gets unlucky (which in my experience, many dont).

Ok.  You've given everyone a reason to ignore you now, since the statement you just made is completely foolish.  The knife isn't overpowered.  IT'S A KNIFE!  Try throwing it, see how good you are.  See how "overpowered" it is.  I know! Since the knife is so good, use it as your primary!  You'll be stopping those normal weapons EASILY.  Autos? No problem.  Ruger, Barret? Piece of cake.
</sarcasm>

What's next? "ZOMG PUNCHING IS OVERPOWERED YOU DROP YOUR GUN WTF"

Some people are better than you.  Live with it.
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 09:22:14 am »
Ive seen M79ers rack up kills like crazy. barreters and knifers too.

Gee, so have I. I've also seen spas, mp5, steyr, ruger, chainsaw, minigun (okay, not that much
in this case...
), minimi, deagle, AK, and socom users stack up kills. In general, most 1-hit-kills get kills FAR slower, and are only on the top of the list if everyone is using the same 1-hit-kill weapon as they are and there's a wide skill margin.

You can't make a multikill with the barret. Yes, you can rarely with the m79, but only if everyone you're facing are total morons/having a punch fight (and noobs really don't count as examples)

The person at the top is ALWAYS an auto/shotgun user, or ruger on larger maps. Period.

Not that this post'll do anything, there'll always be whiners complaining about some weapon or other; just know that these "<insert weapon here> IS OVERPOWERED!!11! NREF IT!1!" threads aren't ever going to accomplish anything.
The weapons are balanced, live with it.

I'd say something about the knife complaint, too, but I'd say {LAW} Gamer_2k4 got the total absurdity of it down pretty well...
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 12:59:17 pm »
The person at the top is not always a non-1-shot-wonder weapon, since that is totally dependent on player skill. Barrett rules larger maps.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 02:56:33 pm »
Ok. Once I started a match. I spawned next to some dude. 1 second later I died because he took out his knife right away and killed me. I go through any map, I die from the knife like crazy. And the whole problem is boom, it hits me, I'm dead. The whole problem is that except for the chainsaw and the law, People can kill me INSTANTLY. That's my problem. It is the instant kill thing. I play different mods, the barret isnt overpowered, but people still use it a lot and rack up kills with it. Same as M79. People are sprayers, people are M79ers, but have a good chance at owning each other. I decide to play normal, my weapons do very little damage, but their weapons still instakill.

Also, DO NOT ACCUSE ME OF INGAME TRASH ON THIS. If I make a complaint, I make it here. if I make it there, I do not do ad hominem attacks. I do not boot people. I do not start flame wars with people. Im not a 12 year old who flames people whenever I get owned. I take my complaints here. This is a weapon balance forum. And I would appreciate it if you people stop flaming me for my opinion. Also, for once, I'm not saying nerf it. I'm saying unnerf the other weapons. Nerfing the M79 and barret wont do anything. I say make the other weapons stronger. 1 kill weapons will be more balanced if other weapons have some more power to them.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 03:00:35 pm by JonWood007 »