Author Topic: Soldat Game Client **MUST SEE**  (Read 1780 times)

Offline aceth

• Major(1)
Soldat Game Client **MUST SEE**
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:59:32 pm »
Was working on my website earlier on, on one of works computer and i thought wouldnt it be amazing if there was a webbased client of soldat ? (eg java based or even flash or something)
im sure that would be possible ? shouldnt it ?
what do people thing ?

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
Re: Soldat Game Client **MUST SEE**
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 04:08:14 pm »
What do people think? I think it's good idea but I'm not good at that stuff (don't even know how to it) so someone else can do it
Text goes here...

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 04:08:32 pm »
Not possible and nobody is going to do it.  There are parts of Soldat that are only known to MM, and there is not enough demand for what you're talking about.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 04:09:51 pm »
Not possible and nobody is going to do it. There are parts of Soldat that are only known to MM, and there is not enough demand for what you're talking about.

He just posted it, so how can be there not enough demand?? Give it some time dude.
Text goes here...

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 04:11:48 pm »
Not possible and nobody is going to do it. There are parts of Soldat that are only known to MM, and there is not enough demand for what you're talking about.

He just posted it, so how can be there not enough demand?? Give it some time dude.

It's been suggested before.  Many disliked the idea.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 04:15:17 pm »

First, two people wanting something is not "enough demand".

Second, it is not even possible to do without entirely recoding soldat for a web-based platform, that's not even mentioning making the two compatible with one server.

Third, it'd be a very bad idea to have a web-based game, as it attracts all sorts of vermon(see runescape).
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 04:19:33 pm »
Yeah, I guess u r right guys. and I do know Runescape, gets bored after some time...
Text goes here...

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 04:42:48 pm »
My comment about "not enough demand" was relative to other things that have been suggested/asked for that are similar, such as Soldat for Mac, Soldat for Linux, Soldat for Xbox/PSP/etc.

A web version of Soldat has been requested maybe once or twice before, whereas over the past few years each of those has been requested at least a dozen or more times each, with many people showing support for each of them.

Offline aceth

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 05:51:36 pm »
well was just an idea calm down lol
well i thought it was an amazing idea and im sure other people would think so too and ....
Soldat for Xbox/PSP/etc
specially psp w/ wifi  would be awesome :D

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 07:01:39 pm »
Soldat for Mac
That would be awesome (I'm on a mac)

As for the web client, like most people have said, it would be nice but it would be hard and not worth the work ti would take. Just download it (unless like me you are on a mac)

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 07:04:16 pm »
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 07:07:05 pm »
I'm sorry.
Actually I like the OS more than Windows, but the problem is nothing is made for macs :P
I have a PC that I use for soldat and stuff but mainly I use me beauty mac.

Offline DorkeyDear

• Veteran
  • I also go by Curt or menturi
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 03:22:26 pm »
dislikes the idea

Offline Thomas

• Major
    • mnus.de
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 10:18:20 am »
For what would a web-based Soldat client be good? you know, you don't know.
Soldat for other operating systems would be cool but almost impossible due to direct x is not available for many platforms... (all of the named ones)
i don't know how it's with OpenGL; would be pretty cool, although it's not gonna happen...

Offline Protoman

• Soldier
  • ~whistle~
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 02:50:59 pm »
I like client stuff like such. However there is little demand for such things.
I'm personally a supporter of new things. Sadly, they do need a purpose or they will be underapreciated.

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 04:42:48 pm »
I'm going to guess here that Delphi (the language Soldat is programmed in) and Java are not at all similar. Delphi seems to be your basic high-level programming language, while Java is incredibly object-oriented, and you'll frequently not even look at code you use in every program. So, not only would this probably create even more lag, it would be next to impossible to create from the current Soldat source code.
But it sure would be nice to have cross-platform capabilities for Soldat.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 06:28:36 pm »
While I agree that a web-based cross-platform Soldat would be incredibly cool, you should consider a few things.

This would require a complete rewrite of the game, costing lots of time even if you had the original source code. Few developers have this kind of time and motivation.

There is plenty of room for improvement in Soldat. If you need to rewrite the source, why not make a unique game? Soldat is ancient, and the community consists of a bunch of old farts who don't know how to move on. Don't you wonder why they are still playing Soldat when there are so many other games available with active communities?

Action Web Games are Slow. There's no getting around it.

Like I said, it's a awesome thought... just not something I see happening.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.